Apr 17, 2006
dear bros ,

encounter a tricky problem
used a kr took some raw pics
can see from the camera itself
however can't even read or transfer to desktop
or laptop, need the photos urgently
anyone kind enough to Advise thanks !

I believe adobe photoshop and bridge are able to read raw files. I use CS5.

You mean you can't transfer the file to the computer, right?

Have you tried reading the SD card directly on the computer (if it has an SD slot) or using an external card reader?

a few questions to clarify:

which raw format did u select on the KR? PEF or DNG?

did u install the bundled software that came with your KR?

if u're using the bundled software, u shouldn't have a problem. just take out the memory card, pop it into an SD card reader and copy it to your HDD. after that, just use the bundled software to open, process and save as JPEG.

if u're using adobe photoshop, i think u need to install the plugins to open PEF files (thats why i shoot DNG - more straightforward).

if u're having problems reading the SD card in the first place, then u have a problem. is that the case?

soli can I knw wat different of PEF n DNG?

soli can I knw wat different of PEF n DNG?

From what little I knows, PEF is a propietry image format (RAW) like the CR2, NEF and ORF files. It is smaller than the DNG files, but fewer programs could read it... while DNG is more open and more programs could recognise it.

I remember reading it somewhere that converted PEF image is better as compared to DNG files (not too sure about this though).

From what little I knows, PEF is a propietry image format (RAW) like the CR2, NEF and ORF files. It is smaller than the DNG files, but fewer programs could read it... while DNG is more open and more programs could recognise it.

I remember reading it somewhere that converted PEF image is better as compared to DNG files (not too sure about this though).

Also, DNG, being a more "universal" format, can be opened in a lot more RAW developer software. Comes in handy sometimes.

so using DNG to shoot is better?am I rite?correct me if I'm wrong,thx

no!!after use raw to shoot i'll nvr shoot with jpeg..juz dunno wat different of PEF n DNG

no!!after use raw to shoot i'll nvr shoot with jpeg..juz dunno wat different of PEF n DNG

in that case, instead of telling you which format is "better", why don't you take 1 shot with PEF, and 1 shot with DNG, and then tell us which one u prefer...

Just use the Pentax Software that is provided.
Can convert PEF and DNG.

tried already can't ,
I do not have the software myself

tried already can't ,
I do not have the software myself

Why don't you have the software that came with your camera?

Izzit u buy 2nd hand? then contact the seller about the CD again. Maybe he/she has it.

or u can try downloading Picasa 3.0 free software. I know it can read DNG. But it does not show the real pic but a dull one coz of the uncompress file. FYI. PEF I dont know it can read or not.