Pentax MX-1 Handson Review

fengwei said:
Its battery is the same as one of the Sigma batteries which is used in Sigma DP series camera?

The camera is pret compact, its height is about the same as an iPhone4's width, only a few mm wider than iPhone's height:

Brother Feng Wei,
knowing that you are busy, any chance that there would be Pentax Outing this month? To suck the poison out of MZ-1?

This is seriously pretty...any idea on pricing?

HTC One X said:
This is seriously pretty...any idea on pricing?

I like it too but I got already the GRDIV, no need for another camera with the same sensor size. :)

Zenislev said:
Too bad theres no hot shoe

Anyone know how to Hotwire a trigger to the flash pop up?

Anyone know how to Hotwire a trigger to the flash pop up?

a simpler way is to use the pop-up to trigger an optical slave flash.

i'm not really sure why so many pple find a hotshoe useful for a compact. i can literally count the number of times on 1 hand where i've actually bothered to mount a trigger / flash on my LX5... and it was more for curiosity than anything ;p

its a "bring everywhere" lightweight compact. after mounting flash, its neither lightweight nor compact already... camera bag also becomes much heavier... :dunno:

detritus said:

i'm not really sure why so many pple find a hotshoe useful for a compact. i can literally count the number of times on 1 hand where i've actually bothered to mount a trigger / flash on my LX5... and it was more for curiosity than anything ;p

its a "bring everywhere" lightweight compact. after mounting flash, its neither lightweight nor compact already... camera bag also becomes much heavier... :dunno:

I was a owner of the XZ-1.
The MX-1 lens looks remarkably like those on the XZ-1(2).

I've not use the hotshoe on XZ-1 for flash and don't own one for it.
However, sometimes I do find myself bringing the camera to eye level only to realise there's no evf/ovf.
So a vf of sort will be welcome.

At estimate $500-700 pricing at release, I wonder how well will it sell?

Olympus XZ-2 does not seem to gather as much interest as XZ-1.
LX7 can get cheap from US.

detritus said:

Oh, you mean there is a trigger which has a optical sensor on it? To be mounted with slave flash ? Learned something new.

Regarding no hot shoe.
One must consider the practicalities/logic for one.

1. The on-camera flash can tilt up, so it does ceiling bounce.
2. A $5-$10 optical trigger may work (but pre-flash from pttl may mess with that, I need to check if this is so on my Q, though I seem to recall that I got it to work the last time I tried)
3. Few ppl need/use external flash on such a camera (though I do)

Practically, point #1 already meets most non-direct flash needs.

hi feng wei

will u be doing a review on it? on aspects like AF, IQ etc..

Wah, flash can face up for bounce flash? Awesome!

pinholecam said:
Regarding no hot shoe.
One must consider the practicalities/logic for one.

1. The on-camera flash can tilt up, so it does ceiling bounce.
2. A $5-$10 optical trigger may work (but pre-flash from pttl may mess with that, I need to check if this is so on my Q, though I seem to recall that I got it to work the last time I tried)
3. Few ppl need/use external flash on such a camera (though I do)

Practically, point #1 already meets most non-direct flash needs.

hi feng wei

will u be doing a review on it? on aspects like AF, IQ etc..

Yes, I'll post some handson review by the weekend. But won't comment too much on AF/IQ 'cause the camera is just a preproduction w/ alpha/beta version firmware (not stable yet, and certain functions are not available).

fengwei said:
Yes, I'll post some handson review by the weekend. But won't comment too much on AF/IQ 'cause the camera is just a preproduction w/ alpha/beta version firmware (not stable yet, and certain functions are not available).

When will it arrive in stores?

Heard it'd be available in Spring time. So I guess probably around March to April time frame?

I just saw the official sample pics.......dang.....now I want it so badly......

or u can comment, but let your readers know that it pre-producntion unit..

hope u can comment on the power up time too..