pentax me super

Status
Not open for further replies.

daphnesayshi

Dec 20, 2007
hello.

ive recently bought a ME super from off ebay, ran 3 rolls of film through it.
its not spoilt or anything...but i realize that the shutter jams quite frequently, especially at small apertures (f/5 and above).
i read online that it could be cause the parts are old and need servicing....

i was wondering if its worth getting checked.
the camera body otherwise, works like a dream. obviously been cleaned before, no rust, no leaks, no corroding parts. everything else works perfect.

and even if i were to get it checked and serviced, where can i do that?
im not quite sure if shops still service old cameras...will it be expensive?
can somebody introduce a good reliable place?

thanks in advance!

Daphne

Maybe u want to check is the foam ontop the mirror degraded into a sticky goo?

I have one of the pentax me super too. For old camera, it is quite common that the shutter/mirror got jam when operating it at low/slow shutter speed. I believed your shutter jam has got nothing to do with f/5 or above. Its just that the shutter curtain is open and close slower. One of my MX sometime has this problem when I fired at below 1/8sec. Well, guess these camera are really old, and need some greasing and oilment in the mechnical movement parts.

Not too sure what is the market rate these days. It should be around 80 to 100dollar for servicing/minor repair.

I used to go to one of the shop in Pensinula plaza for repair and servicing. But that guy I know is not there anymore. MAybe someone else here will be able to advise you on a reliable repairman...

cheerss...

I had an LX w/ sticky mirror problem. Asked Camera Hospital (Sunshine Plaza. #01-67. Tel: 63360025. Look for Steven) and was quoted $80 or above depends on how bad it is. I returned that LX and bought another one later on ...

I too bought a MX from EBay and sent to Camera Hospital for servive.

After ran 1 roll of film, the result was a diaster. The film did not wind fully and all expeosures overlap each other. Normally after film loaded, I will use the rewind lever to check if film is loaded okay. Checked the film winder and looks okay. I have yet to bring the MX back to Camera Hospital for further checks.

Could be a weak spring somewhere?

In any case, I'd recommend Andrew from P&G at Peninsula shopping centre, opposite the cafeteria. My film cams are all serviced there. So far the quality of work is great!.

Could be a weak spring somewhere?QUOTE]

Thanks. I keep your recommendation for future visits.

As for my MX, will bring my cam back to CH for further checks.

hi, thanks for reply guys.

no, mirror is fine, no stickyness, nothing.
the shutter curtain has 2 problems:
1. the shutter is latched but doesnt come down
2. the shutter curtain comes down, but not fully.

sometimes, all it takes is a little bump at the bottom of the camera for problem 1. other times i find that opening the back fiddling with the back of the camera helps to release the curtain...
for problem 2 i'd have to slightly push the stuck curtain and it'll snap back.

but the problem is everytime this happens it will mean i have to go to a very dark room and remove my film (which i have a little experiene because of the holga, haha) and it gets really irritating :(

does anybody else have such problems??

andrew from p&g - does anyone has a number? is it expensive?

thanks for all the responses so far guys!:cool:

I send my old pentax to CAM-X and job well done. Really do a good cleaning and cost about $80. I tried other repair shops, noone can or want to service it previously.

andrew from p&g - does anyone has a number? is it expensive?

His number is 63380833. Opens from 12noon. The number will get routed to his handphone if shop not yet open.

As for pricing, I'd say it's reasonable. For camera repairs, quality and solving the prob is more impt. Other shops may charge cheaper but there were horror stories.
I'm not affiliated to andrew in any way, just a satisfied customer.

If you not satisfied with his pricing, can still walk out and go to CamX, just beside as well. In fact in Peninsula Shopping ctr, there are many repair shops.

I had an LX w/ sticky mirror problem. Asked Camera Hospital (Sunshine Plaza. #01-67. Tel: 63360025. Look for Steven) and was quoted $80 or above depends on how bad it is. I returned that LX and bought another one later on ...

I have been calling CH since last Saturday afternoon and on Monday afternoon. After some time, my calls were routed to the fax machine. Also sent email to CH.

Any idea if CH is closed for holidays?

I have been calling CH since last Saturday afternoon and on Monday afternoon. After some time, my calls were routed to the fax machine. Also sent email to CH.

Any idea if CH is closed for holidays?

Sorry I don't know. Better call again some other time :)

Think you've got to keep trying.
Steven's opening hour is quite random.
And the shops in Sim Lim sometimes require him to make "house calls".....

Think you've got to keep trying.
Steven's opening hour is quite random.
And the shops in Sim Lim sometimes require him to make "house calls".....

Finally managed to get hold of Steven this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.