Pentax..manual slr.....Own Up!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulhan

May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
Okay...guys/gals......

Let's have ashow of hand for those who owns..pentax manual slr....maybe we can share tips on where to get good 2nd Hand lens....

- Sulhan - Spotmatic SP + 50mm f1.4 SMC

Regards...
me

hehe.. nice to know tt there are pple still ard who use pentax SLRs.. =p

Pentax MX + 50mm f1.4

out of use liaos.. damn shutter button jam.. no $$ to repair.. and also cos pentax was falling out of favour in the pro/prosumer mkt..

so went to nikon.. *sigh*

-jar0n

haha just got a set of Pentax SLR and lenses to play with.

Pentax K1000
-Sigma 16mm f2.8 fisheye
-Sigma 24mm f2.8
-Pentax-M SMC 50mm f2
-Pentax-M SMC 135mm f3.5
-Pentax-M SMC 200mm f4
-Tamron MC 2x teleconverter
-Panagor Auto Macro Converter

Hi Jaron....I actually inherited my uncles Spotmatic after hegave it to me with a shutter problem.....so i went and did my own overhaul.....took apart the camera and found the root cause....one of the spring holding the penta prism came loose and got in the way of the curtain path...so causing the picturs taken to have a over exposed bar on one end.....

So SInce i got that fixed...its now mine to keep for maybe my daughter...when she grow up...

Don't mind if i have alook at it asnd see if its really jam due to some minor fault only...

PM me...

Regards,
me

Spotmatic F with a 50 mm Super Takuma and 35 mm Carl Zeiss Jena, bought from parlin44. Got a Praktica 2x teleconverter and heliopan close up filters from Fotografix in Lucky Chinatown. The shop has a good range of screw mount and other old equipment.

Oh yah , forgot abt the 16mm Russian fish eye lens i bought from ebay. Should be arriving in 2 weeks time.

Used to shoot the MX for a while, and then the ME Super. But I miss motordrive. Yes they're noisy but very convenient when I shoot cycling races. So I went Pentax AF bodies, but still using the same set of lenses. Heh, the beauty of K-mount.

Hehhehe... here are mine:

Pentax ME Super
Pentax MZ-50
soligor motordrive
smc 50mm f1.8
soligor 450mm f8
tokina AF 100-300mm f3.5~4.6
sigma AF 28-80mm f3.5~4.6
2x teleplus 2X TC

:angel:

An old thread...

Was digging through some of my old camera stuff and found a pentax K1000 + 50mm 1.4 that was given to me by a friend when i first picked up photography. Used it for a short while before i headed into the eos direction.

The camera's working (have not ran a roll through though) but the mirror cushion seems worn and there's a "clinging" sound after the mirror slaps back, like that from a loose pin. Thinking of giving the K1000 a new lease of life. How much does the repair cost? What other things should i look out for in this old camera to determine whether its still functioning properly?

I have been reading up on the lens that are compatible with the K1000 (with over 30 years of history, its a lot to read). Just a short question: Does the M42 mount refer to the Pentax M mount and can the M42 mount be used on the K?

Pentax ME Super
Pentax MEF
Pentax MG
Pentax MX
Pentax Sportmatic
Pentax ME Winder
Pentax 50mm f1.4
Pentax 15mm f3.5
Pentax 35-70mm f?
*20mm f?
*24mm F2.0
*70-210mm f3.5
*400mm f5.6
* bellow
* 2X converter

(*) other brands

Haven't used them for a long while and that D*ist is really a disappointment. May have to take a pinch and change to tau-pow (Canon) system if digi-cam from Pentax dun improve.

Pentax P30N
Tokina SZ-X 35-70/3.5-4.6

My first SLR. Still have it.

tert said:
An old thread...

Was digging through some of my old camera stuff and found a pentax K1000 + 50mm 1.4 that was given to me by a friend when i first picked up photography. Used it for a short while before i headed into the eos direction.

The camera's working (have not ran a roll through though) but the mirror cushion seems worn and there's a "clinging" sound after the mirror slaps back, like that from a loose pin. Thinking of giving the K1000 a new lease of life. How much does the repair cost? What other things should i look out for in this old camera to determine whether its still functioning properly?

I have been reading up on the lens that are compatible with the K1000 (with over 30 years of history, its a lot to read). Just a short question: Does the M42 mount refer to the Pentax M mount and can the M42 mount be used on the K?

The mirror foam is expected to disintegrate after all these years. Fixing that is easy, get a pack of DIY foam and stick it yourself. If you're feeling lazy, any camera repair shops can install it for you for $30 or so I believe. I can give you a small piece of the foam if you like, or email jon_goodman@yahoo.com who resides in Texas, USA, for a DIY kit. It consists of pieces of foam in varying thickness. A few dollars, for enough foam for about a dozen cameras. A good buy in my opinion, saves you some trouble hunting for them yourself.

Not sure about the "clinging" sound, could be a case of loose spring tension. If it's critical that the shutter be accurate, you might want to send it in for a clean-lube-adjust job. This is going to cost a hundred or so.

The K1000 is Pentax's first K-mount camera, and K-mounts are still in use today. Any Pentax lenses made from 1975 (launch of the K-mount) till today will work on your K1000. It does not matter whether these lenses are manual-focus or autofocus. Of course, autofocus lenses doesn't magically make your K1000 an autofocus camera, you need an autofocus body to make use of the autofocus ability on the lens. Take note that the newer FA-J series of Pentax glass does not have an aperture ring - you won't be able to shoot it except wide open on the K1000, although it will mount nicely on the camera.

Pre-1975 Pentax lenses are made in M42 screw-mount. If you have some of these, you can still make use of them via a simple M42-to-K adapter. They'll only work in manual aperture mode though.

tert said:

I missed out on this one. The commonly-called Pentax M42 is not the same as Pentax M series of lenses. M42 mount is also called Universal Screw Mount. Pentax K, M, A, FA, FA2 as well as the FAJ series lenses are all K-mount. With the exception of FAJ glass, any of them will work to the ability of the K1000.

Sidetracking a little, if you happen to own Pentax 645 or Pentax 67 glass, you can also get an appropriate adapter and mount these glass on the K1000...

Beautiful, isn't it? :)

Lensman said:
Haven't used them for a long while and that D*ist is really a disappointment. May have to take a pinch and change to tau-pow (Canon) system if digi-cam from Pentax dun improve.

The Pentax *ist D is interesting. Although it does not meter with pre-A series lenses, it still stops down the aperture before exposure. In other words, if you can do without the metering, it will take all lenses you own. If you must make use of the built-in metering, use the manual aperture trick (turn out the lens at the mount so that it does not sit properly into the mount, and it effectively acts like a M42 lens with manual aperture, and the spot and centre-weighted metering will work)

kelvinang said:
I missed out on this one. The commonly-called Pentax M42 is not the same as Pentax M series of lenses. M42 mount is also called Universal Screw Mount. Pentax K, M, A, FA, FA2 as well as the FAJ series lenses are all K-mount. With the exception of FAJ glass, any of them will work to the ability of the K1000.

Sidetracking a little, if you happen to own Pentax 645 or Pentax 67 glass, you can also get an appropriate adapter and mount these glass on the K1000...

Beautiful, isn't it? :)

Thanks Kelvin for the valuable insights. I have been reading up on your very useful posts on the Pentax series.

Thanks once again.

Pentax Spotmatic F (1 working, 1 for parts)
Pentax P30T
Pentax ME Super (back in Australia at the moment)

I am a lover of pentax.
Pentax K1000
Penatx K24/2.8
Pentax K50/1.4
Pentax M135/3.5
Sigma A50/2.8 Macro.
I left them in my home town.
Now I am using Canon EOS, but I think Pentax's optics is better.
My dream buy is Pentax *24/2,43LE,*85/1.4,*300/4.5.

It little bit risky here to twist the lens 1/2 way (i.e not locked) but just to get the job done.

I guess if I want to save my lens collection, that is about the only way to do it. Or should I post the list in Yahoo auction ? and take to $$ to change towards the tau-pow system ?

Anyway, a suggestion here, since there are a few of us. How about a gathering / SEED of Pentax camera owners. We can meet at Chinatown or somewhere for a shoot out, send the roll for printing, while we yam-char and tok abt our cameras & lenses

kelvinang said:
The Pentax *ist D is interesting. Although it does not meter with pre-A series lenses, it still stops down the aperture before exposure. In other words, if you can do without the metering, it will take all lenses you own. If you must make use of the built-in metering, use the manual aperture trick (turn out the lens at the mount so that it does not sit properly into the mount, and it effectively acts like a M42 lens with manual aperture, and the spot and centre-weighted metering will work)

Top Gun said:
I am a lover of pentax.
Pentax K1000
Penatx K24/2.8
Pentax K50/1.4
Pentax M135/3.5
Sigma A50/2.8 Macro.
I left them in my home town.
Now I am using Canon EOS, but I think Pentax's optics is better.
My dream buy is Pentax *24/2,43LE,*85/1.4,*300/4.5.

You've got expensive tastes... these are among Pentax's most expensive glass. Independent reviews rate these optics as extremely high, however. I dig all the limited series glass, now just waiting for money to fall from the sky so that I can afford them... the FA* 24/2 is on my list of to-buys if someone wants to take over my Mir-47k 20/2.5. Much too wide for my preference.

kelvinang said:
You've got expensive tastes... these are among Pentax's most expensive glass. Independent reviews rate these optics as extremely high,
You mean my K24/2.8, K50/1.4 and M135/3.5?They are really great.
The * and LE lens is my dream.
I believe they are the best lens made by Japan.

Top Gun said:
You mean my K24/2.8, K50/1.4 and M135/3.5?They are really great.
The * and LE lens is my dream.
I believe they are the best lens made by Japan.

I mean the FA* 24/2, FA 43/1.9, FA* 85/1.4 and A* 300/4.5.

It's suggested that the FA* 24/2 is among the best 24 around, the FA 50/1.4 is the best 50, the FA* 85/1.4 is in the league of Zeiss and Leica, and the FA 43/1.9 is the benchmark against which all normal lenses are compared to... another one that is held in high regard is the K 15/3.5 AL, but it appears to be produced only in low numbers and Pentax decided to drop the aspherical element to cut cost.

The Zuikos are also excellent glass, and so are many Nikkors. I believe every manufacturer makes both good and bad glass, so it's just a matter of picking the good from the bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.