Pentax M42 to K adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slacker

Mar 18, 2003
SG
Visit site
Anyone know where i can get a piece of this?
Price? Cos my friend will be passing me his antique M42 lens and hope to try it.

TIA!

Anyone know where i can get a piece of this?
Price? Cos my friend will be passing me his antique M42 lens and hope to try it.

TIA!

Try calling CP. Best to get the original Pentax adapter, else 3rd party ones may get stuck. If still cannot find, maybe we can order from overseas. I also haven't buy 1 yet (no m42 lens);)

there's a CSer her last time selling original pentax M42 to K mount for 50bucks.. i'm not sure if he still got stock for it coz he only got 5pcs last time.. else, it's also available on ebay, sellers are from hongkong.. 3rd party ones are almost same as the originals, only difference is it has an engraved pentax logo on it.

there's a CSer her last time selling original pentax M42 to K mount for 50bucks.. i'm not sure if he still got stock for it coz he only got 5pcs last time.. else, it's also available on ebay, sellers are from hongkong.. 3rd party ones are almost same as the originals, only difference is it has an engraved pentax logo on it.

I think that was fengwei, he was selling for a friend. Some 3rd party ones are poorly make, since you can't see the real thing, it's better to get the original. I won't want to use pliers to take it out:sweat:

For those looking for 3rd party adapter, look for 1 that comes with a key that'll help u take out the adapter.

Example
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-M42-lens...ryZ30059QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe we can get a better price for the original pentax adapter from Malaysia. I'll try asking the shop in JB.:)

Longko, Count me in if you are able to find it.

otc
marcusy@singnet.com.sg

Actually the Pentax original M42-to-K adapter isn't that expensive. Pentax is still selling these in Japan. If anyone of you have friend who visit Japan, it will be cheaper to get from there. I was once in Shinjuku of Tokyo and bought it for under 20sing dollar.

Or anyone who has lobang or friends from Japan?

3rd party ones may get stuck. ;)

Same for original one, you need a contraption, supplied with the adapter, to remove the adapter from the camera body. :)

Same for original one, you need a contraption, supplied with the adapter, to remove the adapter from the camera body. :)

Some 3rd party dun supply that:thumbsd:

JB selling the original M42 to K adapter for RM120. But need to wait 1 month for stock:(

Some 3rd party dun supply that:thumbsd:

JB selling the original M42 to K adapter for RM120. But need to wait 1 month for stock:(

I have one that does............ also looks and feel like the pentax original one :D

I have one that does............ also looks and feel like the pentax original one :D

Mind shreding some light to it? as in give us a quick shot or two of the ring and "piler"?

Hope someone can help a 1st time M42 user :)

I am using a OEM adapter that supports infinity.
I mount it on the camera, than mount an SMC Takumar 50mm 1.4.

The problems I encounter :
1. The lens (with adaptor) does not lock on to the mount.
2. I cannot choose the focal length for the SR
3. Focus confirmation is not working
4. There is this Auto/Manual switch on the lens... switch on Manual ?

Are these problems ? Something I do wrongly ? Or this is normal ?
I can take pictures okay though... Help appreciated.

Have the adapter but my M42 lens have not reached me yet so i can only help you out abit.

Choosing SR focal length manually, you have to access the menu and go to shake reduction and choose from there. Should be the way. Give it a try.

Focus confirmation should come in right after you set the focal length. Might be wrong on this part.

Switch to Manual Focus on your camera should do since there is no communication between the lens and your camera with the adapter on.

Happy shooting...

If you plug in a manual lens, automatically the moment you switch on the camera will ask you to key in the focal length. Set focus to manual. As you focus the lens, once it is in focus, you will hear the "focussed beep".
cheers

Appreciate the help... and have tried out the recomm...

I've set the camera (K100D) to M before starting, but it does not ask me to set the focal length. I am also not able set the SR in the menu as it has been disabled.
It is like the camera does not detect there is a lens... :(

Could it be the M42 adapter fault... maybe OEM does not work well.

If you are looking for a good quality M42 to PK adapter, you better drop by Fotografix at Chinatown Point #2-13 (owner Mr. Wong: 97831271). It's open in the afternoon mostly, but better call the owner before you go. I've been using one bought from there quite a while ago, and like it alot. Its build quality is better (IMO) than the original one, and it comes w/ a tool to take the adapter out. Although I've sold some original ones for a friend, I kept this one because its better quality and better fit (no loose when mounted, not like the original one which you still feel abit loose when the lens and adapter are mounted on the camera).

The asking price is $45, but I'm sure you can bargain it down abit :)

Good luck!

Actually the Pentax original M42-to-K adapter isn't that expensive. Pentax is still selling these in Japan. If anyone of you have friend who visit Japan, it will be cheaper to get from there. I was once in Shinjuku of Tokyo and bought it for under 20sing dollar.

Or anyone who has lobang or friends from Japan?

Pentax has increased the prices for most if not all accessories since March 2007, including this adapter (which will cost about double the price as before if I'm right) :)

First thing to check is : Make sure the custom setting "FI with S lens used" is set to "available".

If the above is set already, and if still have problem, I think there might be something wrong w/ your adapter, and probably there is a tiny gap between the lens mount and the camera. Seems like your camera doesn't recognize there is a lens mounted (that's why you can't type in focal lenght, and the focus confirmation doesn't work ...). If you can put a piece of aluminum paper (like the one used for BBQ) between the lens mount and the camera (so you'd shortcut those contact pins on your camera), this will trick the camera as a lens is mounted. Give it a try and see if works.

And make sure the lens mount side is very clean. A very dirty one might cause the same problem.

Some old M42 lenses have plastic barrel (or the mount side is plastic). This kind of lenses will have the same problem. But you can use the aluminum paper trick to get it work too ;)

I have a working OEM one (see above) which I can help you to test out, if you can make a trip to NUS during working hour :)

As to the Auto/Manual switch, yes, you need to switch to Manual (so you'd be able to adjust aperture).

Status
Not open for further replies.