Pentax Limited grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacopachi85

May 23, 2009
Im now considering switching to pentax. like to ask afew questions from pentax pros here. :)

Whats the pentax L lens grade of canon? limited?

Is the iq on par as the rest of those higher grade lenses?

price range of such lens?

Any legendary lenses in pentax? :p

Im now considering switching to pentax. like to ask afew questions from pentax pros here. :)

Well, it's nearly impossible to answer your question. For a long time, Pentax was the failure one in DSLR war, now, they maybe have some weapon to fight back their competitor.

L len of Canon have several grade also, so, what exactly you want in Canon, there will be one in Pentax. You can list, I can help to interchange!

About pricing, Pentax usually a little bit lower than Ca-Ni to compete directly on pricing issue.

Legendary lenses of Pentax, it does have, a lot. But for me, any lense of Pentax could be a Legend IF you know when/where/how you use!

Let me just stick with modern lenses:

Normal range: DA, FA

Two range of premium range: *(star) and Limiteds

*(stars) are weather-sealed and features SDM motor - very good "utility" lenses.
Limited features a full metal body - exquisite lenses.

Just to name a few off my thought:
Legendary Lenses you can still get: FA31 Limited, FA77 Limited
Good lenses you can still get: DA*200/300, DA*50-135, DA35Limited Macro.
Lengendary lenses you probably can't find easily: FA*85, FA*200 macro

Last edited:
woah~ nice break down :D
so in terms of studio usage the limited series would be more suitable over the da* rite?
is there any nice limited zoom lenses to recommend that can cover 28 to 75? or similair range? :)

Ooh. Paiseh, forgot tell you that Limiteds are PURELY primes - will be and always be I guess.
And for Pentaxians, the main attraction is the range of very nice primes. If you like zooms, I would say Canon and Nikon are probably better.
The 28-75 range is really the FF equivalent FL for the 16-50 in APS-C. The DA*16-50 would be the best choice though i still feel it is the weakest link in Pentax DA* line-up.

Last edited:

Conversely, what is Canon and Nikon not offering?

Hi tacopachi85, i am sure all the Pentax "Tai Kor" and the seniors here will be able to give you a very good run down of Pentax Lenses and their private collection ;) , I thought I should chip in to share some of my experience since I have recently joined the Pentax camp couple of months back , though I still holding on to my expensive Canon investment ;)

One thing I must said, it is much easier to build your dream system in the Pentax world than Canon L or Nikon AFS ED world, a Canon L 16-35mm f2.8 will set you back about $2,600 or a 70-200 f2.8 $2,900; just any 1 of the L lens you can get a DA* 16-50 f2.8 and DA* 50-135 f2.8 and still leave you some really handsome change for a nice flash. I must said the quality is not necessary inferior to the L lenses, I must say it is quite comparable except it will not fit your EOS mount. Go google and you will find some really good reviews on Pentax SMC lenses and some of lens like the FA*85 or Super Takumar SMC lenses are legendary.

Pentax world lack the legacy problem of having to design lenses to cater for Full Frame like Nikon and Canon, with just a 1.5x crop body. So the DA* lens design are optimize for a crop body unlike to FA* (still need to look after the film SLR):

- My first DA* 16-50mm f2.8 lens is cover 24-75mm equivalent to the popular film format or full frame 24-70mm f2.8. The closest compare for L is 16-35mm f2.8 which only give you about 25.6m-56mm (on a Canon 1.6x crop body) hardly any protrait or telephoto range, an 24-70mm f2.8 will be too narrow at 38.4mm-102mm at the wide angle end.

- My Second DA* 50-135mm f2.8 lens cover 75-202mm in the range equivalent to the popular film format or full frame 70-200 f2.8; nothing in the L lens family cover that for Canon 1.6x crop, closest the 24-105mm F4 L.

So you realized all the highend lenses in Canon and Nikon family are design or target at the professional full frame body i.e. 5D MKII and above or D700 and above, 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8. They do not cater to the prosumer crop body range, the closest EF-S 18-55mm f2.8 is close but it is not at the same L lens build quality and weather proof.

Go try out K-7 in the store and you will be compelled to deflect :D :D, nevermind you are the only Pentax user in your entire company ;)

Last edited:
nice :D
btw previously had afew frens tested the K7 and there seems to have some inconsistency in colors.
googling it appears to show more results from people having the same problem

anyone encounter this issue? is it a jpeg problem or its appearing on raw too?(sensor issue in this case)
im looking at k20d since its the same sensor with k7 and half the price ;)

... the K20D sensor is NOT the same as the K-7's sensor...

K20 does not has the 77 segment metering.. which gives you a lot different results... and AF is much better i would say... plus its weight and body form.. it makes you feel unique...

nice :D
btw previously had afew frens tested the K7 and there seems to have some inconsistency in colors.
googling it appears to show more results from people having the same problem

anyone encounter this issue? is it a jpeg problem or its appearing on raw too?(sensor issue in this case)
im looking at k20d since its the same sensor with k7 and half the price ;)

K20d and K7 doesn't have the same sensor, though it has some similarities with each other. :cool:

oh :( but k7 is so much more expensive

oh :( but k7 is so much more expensive

Yes, it is. Compared to the K20D (older model).

Because it's the latest model (replacingthe K20D), and released quite recently too. And sales have been good, and demand high.

Hence the pricing now.

k-7 can wait but not lenses, especially the FA limiteds.

Hi tacopachi85, i am sure all the Pentax "Tai Kor" and the seniors here will be able to give you a very good run down of Pentax Lenses and their private collection ;) , I thought I should chip in to share some of my experience since I have recently joined the Pentax camp couple of months back , though I still holding on to my expensive Canon investment ;)

One thing I must said, it is much easier to build your dream system in the Pentax world than Canon L or Nikon AFS ED world, a Canon L 16-35mm f2.8 will set you back about $2,600 or a 70-200 f2.8 $2,900; just any 1 of the L lens you can get a DA* 16-50 f2.8 and DA* 50-135 f2.8 and still leave you some really handsome change for a nice flash. I must said the quality is not necessary inferior to the L lenses, I must say it is quite comparable except it will not fit your EOS mount. Go google and you will find some really good reviews on Pentax SMC lenses and some of lens like the FA*85 or Super Takumar SMC lenses are legendary.

Pentax world lack the legacy problem of having to design lenses to cater for Full Frame like Nikon and Canon, with just a 1.5x crop body. So the DA* lens design are optimize for a crop body unlike to FA* (still need to look after the film SLR):

- My first DA* 16-50mm f2.8 lens is cover 24-75mm equivalent to the popular film format or full frame 24-70mm f2.8. The closest compare for L is 16-35mm f2.8 which only give you about 25.6m-56mm (on a Canon 1.6x crop body) hardly any protrait or telephoto range, an 24-70mm f2.8 will be too narrow at 38.4mm-102mm at the wide angle end.

- My Second DA* 50-135mm f2.8 lens cover 75-202mm in the range equivalent to the popular film format or full frame 70-200 f2.8; nothing in the L lens family cover that for Canon 1.6x crop, closest the 24-105mm F4 L.

So you realized all the highend lenses in Canon and Nikon family are design or target at the professional full frame body i.e. 5D MKII and above or D700 and above, 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8. They do not cater to the prosumer crop body range, the closest EF-S 18-55mm f2.8 is close but it is not at the same L lens build quality and weather proof.

Go try out K-7 in the store and you will be compelled to deflect :D :D, nevermind you are the only Pentax user in your entire company ;)

i ain't here to start a brand war, but pls get ur facts right before saying bout other camp. there aint't a canon ef-s 18-55mm f/2.8, and compare cropped sensor lenses to cropped sensor lenses leh

aiya this comparison thingy has no end... ferget it ... zzzz

Last edited:
i ain't here to start a brand war, but pls get ur facts right before saying bout other camp. there aint't a canon ef-s 18-55mm f/2.8, and compare cropped sensor lenses to cropped sensor lenses leh

Mmm. The chap owns and uses both Pentax and Canon equipment; he mentions he currently has an "expensive Canon investment".

So I doubt he's trying to start a brand war either. :)

Mmm. The chap owns and uses both Pentax and Canon equipment; he mentions he currently has an "expensive Canon investment".

So I doubt he's trying to start a brand war either. :)

Thanks "Le Petit Prince", yes you are absolutely right, I am not trying to start a brand war here no interest to do so. I am here in this forum to learn useful knowledge and share wonderful experiences. I really appreciate all the kind folks (including yourself) that shared with me in my previous posting on the Pentax lenses.

I did get it wrong, the ef-s lens is 17-55 f2.8 not 18-55 f2.8 (I don't own one so is a honest mistake), but that is not the point, what I am trying to is to share my experiences with tacopachi85 on my Pentax experience coming from a Canon user view.

I still owned my beloved 5D MKII with a few L lenses and a Zeiss. Don't ask me why I bought a K-7, it is something only a passionate Pentax user will understand, I owned my first Pentax ME Super in 1980 when it is first launched in Singapore so it is beyond word why I like Pentax. Gosh I can't believe it is so long ago, the thrill of opening the new box still felt like yesterday.

My Pentax forum experience is wonderful so far and I really hope to keep it that way.

Last edited:

no brand war here, just slight overview of what to expect on Pentax. It's a well known fact that Pentax has good quality cheap lenses in their lineup though not as much as other brands.

There's some kinda magic when you hold a Pentax

BTW, as for comparison. Just check the Kit lenses from Pentax and against other kit lenses. ;)

There

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.