Pentax Lens - Shallow Depth of Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

flitstoned

Mar 15, 2008
I just bought a black K-x with the kit lens. I am looking for a secondary lens with the primary aim of being able to take shallow depth of field images. It could be any third party lens too. As I won't be using this lens much, what would be the most cost-effective lens to buy. Do I need to buy at least a 2.8 lens or will a higher zoom, but not as wide an aperture do. Image quality shoudl be reasonable not necessarily top-of-the-line

any focal length?

faint

to have more oof, you want

1) long focal length
2) big max aperture
3) closer distance to subject relative to background

so to have maximum oof? the fastest way is to buy a 70-300 tamron, very very cheap.. then go to macro mode, and then go to minimum focusing distance in front of something.......

to be honest, isn't it better if you elaborate more...

Last edited:
want shallow DOF but not wide aperture :think:

u shooting near objects or far ?

u need auto AF or manual also can...

i can only think of 1 lens... FA* 200 f2.8 :bsmilie:, not very wide aperture, only 2.8,and close focus of 1.2m will give u thin DOF with not wide aperture and nice background blur... :thumbsup:

on the serious side, M50 f1.4 is what i would recommend. cheap and serve the purpose. Unless u want a longer option...

Sorry for not being very clear.

I need the lens mainly for photographing my children. Of course, a wide aperture would be preferable, but that might be expensive, and I understand some trade-offs have to be made. Budget would be around S$ 500.00 to S$ 600.00 and it can stretch some more too.

AF is preferable but I am ok with Manual focus too. I would not want to use an adaptor to use with K-X

A used lens would be great but I do not see too many used Pentax lenses on sale.

I need the lens mainly for photographing my children. Of course, a wide aperture would be preferable, but that might be expensive, and I understand some trade-offs have to be made. Budget would be around S$ 500.00 to S$ 600.00 and it can stretch some more too.

AF is preferable but I am ok with Manual focus too. I would not want to use an adaptor to use with K-X

A used lens would be great but I do not see too many used Pentax lenses on sale.

Hmmm... i'm quite sure the kit lens 18-55 is more than enough for photographing your children. Long zooms are for people who wants to shoot birds (photographing i mean) and dangerous creatures like crocodiles. Fengwei photographed his lovely daughter on another thread with DA 55-300 which are well-shot. Fits in your budget because the last known price at MS Photo is $540.

As for shallow depth of field, it means different things to different people.

If you mean having a blurred background (bokeh). That can be achieved exactly like nightmare described. And I'd second flowerpot suggestion to go into prime lenses 50mm focal length for portrait and children shot. Although, i've only played with a 50/2 prime lens - it's really good for blurred background. Already finding ways to get my grubby hands on a 50/1.4 :D

Have a look at this - Pentax lenses for dslr

For primes, FA43 or FA50 will do great, especially indoors.

Outdoors, basically any lens should work fine, as long as you open wide and the background is far from your subjects, ie. your kids.

I've shot lots of portraits (including kids, candids mostly) using all kinds of lenses with the shallow dof effect.. can see here: http://lepetitphotographe.smugmug.com/Portraits/People/7747675_h9TWQ#726543300_HSr28
(Mouse over the photo and click "i" for exif data.)

I won't recommend a manual focus lens for kids, unless you can manually focus fast. (I find that I can't!)

You can post a Want To Buy ad if you're fine with 2nd-hand, instead of waiting for someone to put up for sale.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I second petite prince's recommendations and reasonings. The FA50mm is within budget, but the FA43mm is not.

If you want more flexibility, another serious contender for your purpose and more or less within budget is the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Compared to the FA50mm f1.4, you drop from f1.4 to f2.8, but you gain the zoom, which can be valuable when your kid moves around and you can't keep up with a prime lens to get the composition you want. It'll replace your kit lens too.

Thanks everyone. I will try my luck in the Buy/Sell section before I go for a new lens.

Thanks everyone. I will try my luck in the Buy/Sell section before I go for a new lens.

...or you could attend the monthly meet-up and try your hands at more lenses than you can handle. Can try your focusing skills on the many Pentaxians running about as well. ;p

I second petite prince's recommendations and reasonings. The FA50mm is within budget, but the FA43mm is not.

If you want more flexibility, another serious contender for your purpose and more or less within budget is the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Compared to the FA50mm f1.4, you drop from f1.4 to f2.8, but you gain the zoom, which can be valuable when your kid moves around and you can't keep up with a prime lens to get the composition you want. It'll replace your kit lens too.

Yes, Tamron 17-50/2.8 is another good budget option you can consider.

Otherwise, I'd recommend any of the fast 50mm.
The M50/2 for example cost near nothing at ~$60-70.
Here is a thread I posted sometime back on the A50/2
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598708

either 40mm f/2.8 or 50mm f/1.4 will do

if you don't mind MF, there is a wealth of 50mm lenses for you to use. :)

Think a Fast fifty is what u'd need, the FA50 looks the best choice.
There is a saying: " Give me a fast fifty and I'll shoot the world." But that was in the 35mm era. Ha, so a fast 35mm for apc-s would be ideal.

There is a saying: " Give me a fast fifty and I'll shoot the world." But that was in the 35mm era. Ha, so a fast 35mm for apc-s would be ideal.

In that case, the FA35 f2.0 will rule! But it pretty hard to find this lens now man.... And I prefer to stick with Sigma 30mm f1.4 for that extra 1-stop in speed. :)

Thanks Everyone. Hardly any response for my WTB in the pentax forum. So went online and bought the following:
Bought a Tamron 18-200 with flash 360 FGZ/Stofen and Filter set from BHP Photovideo US for US600.

Thanks Everyone. Hardly any response for my WTB in the pentax forum. So went online and bought the following:
Bought a Tamron 18-200 with flash 360 FGZ/Stofen and Filter set from BHP Photovideo US for US600.

Your ad was up for just one day.. give it more time mah. Now there's someone wanting to sell his DA50-200 at a nice price (a great lens I used before and like a lot).

Good luck with the Tamron though. :D

Yes i know, I am an impatient bugger.................helps in many other areas not photography and fishing though

Status
Not open for further replies.