Pentax KX image quality v.s K10D/K20D

repairedlens

Deregistered
Jul 18, 2009
Hi all, i am thinking of getting a DSLR. KX is now around $700, almost same price as K10D/K20D at second hand market. Image quality wise, do you think KX is comparable to K10D/K20D since it is newer technology?

I am concerning of the pixel quality since i am submitting to microstock that image quality is important. I am sure K7 is comparable to k10D/20D, but how is KX, that 2 year technology helps?

is K10D/K20D image quality better than KX?

Hi all, i am thinking of getting a DSLR. KX is now around $700, almost same price as K10D/K20D at second hand market. Image quality wise, do you think KX is comparable to K10D/K20D since it is newer technology?

I am concerning of the pixel quality since i am submitting to microstock that image quality is important. I am sure K7 is comparable to k10D/20D, but how is KX, that 2 year technology helps?

It is better than the K10D/K20D. K-x is so much better than these 2 as it is a newer.

It is better than the K10D/K20D. K-x is so much better than these 2 as it is a newer.

oic, then it seems like there is no reason to get those 2nd hand camera even k10d/20d is more oriented for professional market..especially same price range.

oic, then it seems like there is no reason to get those 2nd hand camera even k10d/20d is more oriented for professional market..especially same price range.

It depends on what you are trying to capture. A K20D is still better than a K10D as the former has a CMOS sensor vs the latter's CCD sensor.

The k-x is supposedly good at high ISOs but I cannot comment on that as I changed to the K7 from the K20D.

K-x is quite good already. Since I'm using it, the IQ its given even during at night is quite good. But this is my opinion since I dun have a K10d/20D to compare.

But i think its still depend on the Lens u using.

Last edited:
Maybe we should form a team to test from K10D>>>>to>>>>K7,then we can tell the big
difference among them.

For me not the latest one will be the best for myself,it depends on what i want to shoot.
most important my gear must make me happy.:bsmilie:

I am the odd one out. I have kx and prefers K10d, the old model.

ha ha..

More of the low ISO 100 for macro is very very good in the colors, to be more specific for K10d. Sure, the lens make a lot of difference. KX hand-grip is interfering with the bracket of A200 f4 lens. KX is design not to go with A200 f4. Most of my macro shot is taken with k10d.

otc

Last edited:

For higher ISO, KX wins over the K10d.

At that price point of KX now, its extremely low already.

K10 d is great at base iso 100 and most of my prefer macro shot at that iso if possible.

marcus

It depends on what you are trying to capture. A K20D is still better than a K10D as the former has a CMOS sensor vs the latter's CCD sensor.

The k-x is supposedly good at high ISOs but I cannot comment on that as I changed to the K7 from the K20D.

These 2 statements contradict each other? :bsmilie:

TS, pardon me for being ignorant, but pixel quality dont depend on camera body right? it depends on the monitor? no?

after last week session by Denis, i realise you dont need ex lenses and bodies to take good pic. all you need is lightroom for organisation and photoshop for fine tuning. :bsmilie:

i know someone here won a local national photo competition with an entry level k100d a couple of years back. if the pic from a k100d is good enough to win competition i think it is good enough for stock photographs :sticktong

TS, pardon me for being ignorant, but pixel quality dont depend on camera body right? it depends on the monitor? no?

after last week session by Denis, i realise you dont need ex lenses and bodies to take good pic. all you need is lightroom for organisation and photoshop for fine tuning. :bsmilie:

i know someone here won a local national photo competition with an entry level k100d a couple of years back. if the pic from a k100d is good enough to win competition i think it is good enough for stock photographs :sticktong

yes u r right!

composition and correct exposure is the main deciding factors for a good pic. but wtih better gear, it will be even better for sure. :)

For higher ISO, KX wins over the K10d.

At that price point of KX now, its extremely low already.

K10 d is great at base iso 100 and most of my prefer macro shot at that iso if possible.

marcus
I agree. The colors from k10d is wonderful! If you are not into high iso, i.e < ISO400, nothing from the current offerings beats the k10d IQ imho. I own the k7 but I still love my k10d.

I had the K10D but if I was in the same position as the thread starter, I'd choose getting a new camera, but that's just me.
I don't think I can ever go back to a K10D especially since I've moved on to the superior K20D and now the K-7.
I'm just not sentimental about gear.

Let's look at it this way, all the photos from the members using K10D, K20D and K-x are all great. hence none of the DLSRs is bad, i.e. it meets your needs regardless of generation.
But the kx is newer, more compact, lighter and has much better noise reduction performance, comes in cool colours, so I will recommend you get it unless you want all the controls found in the higher end K10D/K20D. :)

thanks all for many informations, actually i have this question is because K10D and k20D are same price range at 2nd market as a new KX. If you contribute to microstock then you realise that some agencies are just judging the 'pixel quality', like the size of images and noise instead of whether it is an award winning shot.

I was thinking of a K10D or K20D at 2nd market, but the price seems 'expensive' to me because it is almost same price of getting KX.

what i know is K10D and K20D got quick button for shutter and aperture setting, but you need to go throught menu for KX?

I got a k10D 2nd hand before but it broke down 1 day and i returned, it is good but if i am going to pay same price for KX then i will think twice.

how is the performance of raw image in KX? what features that you think KX is missing compare to K10D/20D?

Maybe we can tweak Kx colour to match it with k10d?

thanks all for many informations, actually i have this question is because K10D and k20D are same price range at 2nd market as a new KX. If you contribute to microstock then you realise that some agencies are just judging the 'pixel quality', like the size of images and noise instead of whether it is an award winning shot.

I was thinking of a K10D or K20D at 2nd market, but the price seems 'expensive' to me because it is almost same price of getting KX.

what i know is K10D and K20D got quick button for shutter and aperture setting, but you need to go throught menu for KX?

I got a k10D 2nd hand before but it broke down 1 day and i returned, it is good but if i am going to pay same price for KX then i will think twice.

how is the performance of raw image in KX? what features that you think KX is missing compare to K10D/20D?

K-x being an enrty level camera. K10D/K20D/K7 is a semi-pro camera. Feature wise, the last 2 will have more features than the K-x.

K-x owners pls add input . . .

K-X is my 1st DSLR cam, have never owned a DSLR b4 that so unable to compare against other Pentax DSLRs.
Pretty happy with the image quality & not comparing with other brand's semi-pro DSLR, I feel that K-X IQ will not lose to Canon 500D, personally feel that Nikon D90 has a better IQ.
I'm more into wildlife /bird shooting, so tends to use high zoom frequently which forced to up the ISO to 1600/3200. Luckily K-X is strong in this area. :sweatsm:

K-X is my 1st DSLR cam, have never owned a DSLR b4 that so unable to compare against other Pentax DSLRs.
Pretty happy with the image quality & not comparing with other brand's semi-pro DSLR, I feel that K-X IQ will not lose to Canon 500D, personally feel that Nikon D90 has a better IQ.
I'm more into wildlife /bird shooting, so tends to use high zoom frequently which forced to up the ISO to 1600/3200. Luckily K-X is strong in this area. :sweatsm:

K-X uses he same CMOS sensor as Nikon D90 so it should be the same except the different processing engine which proves to be in the favor or pentax prime II chip as it has better noise control than D90 if im not wrong :bigeyes:

Didn't know that. Dunno why I find the D90 color more vibrant.
K-X's color not bad too, quite natural.

K-X uses he same CMOS sensor as Nikon D90 so it should be the same except the different processing engine which proves to be in the favor or pentax prime II chip as it has better noise control than D90 if im not wrong :bigeyes: