Pentax Kr Camera Bag

eunize

Feb 14, 2011
Hi all, just bought a pentax kr today from SLR revolution. So since there isn't a camera bag that comes with the camera, I'll have to look for one. Any suggestions? What camera bags do you guys use? Thank you :)

Welcome to pentax, this being your first post:). There are a few ladies with colored Kr/Kx and they have the same color bags to match the color of the camera body. Looks cool.

Most guys use a universal black color ones. I am using a sling bag tat allows 3 to 4 lenses with a body and flashlights in it. There are lots of choices available.

marcus

Depends on where you plan to bring your camera to, and how you like to carry your stuff usually. Eg. backpack for trekking, shoulder or sling bag for general use, and beltpack or harness for max convenience. I use my shoulder bag most of the time, backpack when I want to carry more stuff or for trekking, and beltpack when doing stuff like skiing and cycling.

When choosing a bag, think about how much gear you want to carry eventually. Might be a bit difficult to predict how much you want to carry since you're just starting out, but try to leave space for at least a couple of extra or a flash. I made the mistake of buying a bag that held only the camera and the attached lens when I first started, and very quickly regretted it.

Should definitely go to shops like OP, TK and CP to take a good look at the bags to decide what suites you.

Got 3 camera bag,
a 2MDH Crumpler bag; can fit a K-r with 35mm, super uber light and small, easy to carry around.
a free tamron logo black sling bag i got from alan photo; can fit a 16-45 and k-r with 55-300 mounted
a NG backpack that can fit a tripod on the side and many loads of stuffs.

end of the day, it is about the equipments you want to bring out. The K-r is a small camera and should have no problem fitting into small bags. I love how i am able to put my K-r in my small 2MDH and just head out to shoot. I thought the crumplers MDH series looks stylish and nice with tonnes of colors, can consider it.

i have 2 bags as well
both are vanguard up-rise series, 28, a sling/messenger bag; and 45, a bagpack
both are excellent bag, but it really depends on how many things u wanna carry, and whether u plan to bring it to, and how future proof u want it to be.

my uprise 28, small, expandable to fit a netbook and dont really look like a cam bag.
as for uprise 45, large carrying capacity and with large separate compartment for personal items, i brought it for a 2-week eurotrip, didnt tire me eventhough i carried it whole day walking around(which had ~3kg of cam gear, a 1L waterbottle and some other stuff)

but the most important advise is that u go to a shop like TK to choose for urself, bring all ur gears and try them out.
i actually spent 1-2 hours choosing my bags.. lol..

Do a search on this forum and you'll find lots of resources talking about bags. I personally really like the Billingham ones but they are expensive (esp. in SG). For a smaller camera like the K-r, it'll fit most of these slimmer profile bags.

I am currently using the Domke F-803, and this was my picture review of the bag -

Domke F-803 Satchel Ruggedwear by beornheard.yang, on Flickr

Again, it's not the most heavily padded ones, and so this may not be the bag for most. And your setup may be entirely different from mine, so it really depends on what you have, and what you are comfortable with.

Last edited:
Hi all, just bought a pentax kr today from SLR revolution. So since there isn't a camera bag that comes with the camera, I'll have to look for one. Any suggestions? What camera bags do you guys use? Thank you :)

What do you want to put in?

What style do you like? Shoulder sling? Backpack?

Do you need space for personal effects?

I use the Billingham Hadley Pro, Kata 466 Digital Rucksack and Lowepro Orion Trekker II.

kata backpack (123-go-10) and samsonite toploader for me.

my suggestion is to keep it compact. the K-R is not a very big camera. best thing to do is to bring your camera when u buy your bag and make sure that it has enough space to pack the camera, a flash and 1, 2 more small lenses.

the billingham is my favourite... but being the LV of camera bags, i just can't bear to part with the cash.

my next favourite is the kata - the make backpacks and holsters for the israeli armed forces so their storage solutions are :thumbsup: very practical.

u probably want to get something less eyecatching and doesn't scream "camera-bag" as you don't want to attract unnecessary attention when u go travelling.

the billingham is my favourite... but being the LV of camera bags, i just can't bear to part with the cash.

Yeah, it's expensive.

Mine's holding up fine though, coming to 4 years and I really, really abuse it - mud, sand, dump it on the beach, soaked in seawater... All that's happening is that it's developing a hole at the top, but still waterproof as tested recently... And that hole is due to the way I sling it, not because of what I use it for. :bsmilie:

Yeah, it's expensive.

Mine's holding up fine though, coming to 4 years and I really, really abuse it - mud, sand, dump it on the beach, soaked in seawater... All that's happening is that it's developing a hole at the top, but still waterproof as tested recently... And that hole is due to the way I sling it, not because of what I use it for. :bsmilie:

stop it. u're tempting me. i'll have to sell lenses to finance the bag at this rate. :sticktong

Am using a Kata Bag (DB455) sling bag, as I prefer things to be within reach by the side.

http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?p_Id=440&Version=photo

It has a laptop slot so I could carry it for both work and leisure.

You need to remove your bag from your back if you're carrying a backpack, and for my body size, it looks weird carrying a backpack. :D

Thanks for all the advice guys. I appreciate all of your help very much :) gonna do more research :)

The best is to go down to the shops to try them out firsthand. TK Foto has a large range available.

I started off with a 5 Million Dollar Home when i bought my K-x with the 18-55 and 55-300.

I then acquired more stuff like an external flash, and an FA 50 1.4 and found it too small, especially if i am travelling with all the stuff (including a blower and other cleaning equipment). So i got a Clik Elite Impulse Sling (which fit everything in and had the space for other personal stuff).

http://www.clikelite.com/shop/impulse-sling/

Then i got another lens like a Sigma 10-20mm and i wanted the option of being able carry a gorillapod in addition to attaching a tripod comfortably to the bag, so i got a Timbuk2 Snoop Messenger (Medium).

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/messenger/bike-messenger-bags/snoop-camera-messenger