Pentax K30 -Out and About -A user review

Nice photos!

Great review, hope more people hop on to the Pentax wagon

AF and DSLR response

8550973167_da0d6ede9e_z.jpg

I had spied the couple preparing for this shot when I was walking towards my children.
The camera was on MF and was 'OFF' since I had taken some landscapes and was calling it a day at that location.
Quickly switched the focus switch to 'AF-S' and turned on the camera and adjusted the aperture while still walking towards the couple.
Lifted the camera and grabbed the shot just as they jumped for their posed shot.
Perhaps I could have done the same with another camera, but the DSLR handling and response just felt reassuring.

Generally, my experience with K30 AF and response in most situations is that its pretty good.
With proper knowledge of where/when to focus, most low light or moving shots should not be a problem.
Of course its AF is not that of the highest end of DSLRs catered for action photography.
For the general user context, there nothing much to fuss over.
With the good array of buttons andtwo scroll wheels plus Quick Menu, handling was also very good in most cases.

8552082160_86a92c28b4_z.jpg

Lower light street shots

8552073504_1be2332a43_z.jpg

Some general action with AF-C (auto focus continuous)

8550970017_a9a1eb45b9_z.jpg

Backlit situations

Last edited:
verry nice picture. this is the short spec of Pentax K30. It would be useful for the pentax lover.

verry nice picture. this is the short spec of Pentax K30. It would be useful for the pentax lover.

Thanks.
Just FYI, grey set with 3rd party warranty is much cheaper than what you have linked. ;)

I won't mention prices or sellers here.
Check out with the guys in the Pentax sub-section.

Weather Sealing

8630656855_36078dc99d_c.jpg

The K30 is weather sealed.
Thats not common on a camera body that is deemed 'entry level'.
I used to laugh about this feature as 'I'm not weatherproof, even when the camera is', but I think I was wrong to judge this too early on.
The K30 with a weather sealed kit lens makes for a very versatile use in wet situations as well as dusty places (eg. motocross; Beijing/Australia in the heat of dusty summer, etc)

Whats more, there are a range of cheap Weather Sealed (WS) lenses to choose from in the form of the DA18-55; DA55-200; DA18-135.
A nice weather sealed kit w/o breaking the bank, which is a nice point that not all camera brands offer (ie. weather sealed typically means expensive lenses)

For the more discerning photographer, there are also higher end DA* weather sealed zooms and primes.
Personally, I don't shoot in bad weather too much, so a really cheap DA 18-55mm WS kit lens is all I need to weather seal the camera for those times that I need it.

8631762602_24bd5c3d28_c.jpg

8630655253_84dd44c766_c.jpg

8631760102_5566f810ac_c.jpg

For all the shots in this page, I was in the pool.
My hands and whole person was wet, meaning that the whole camera was wet too from my handling.
But there was little need to worry about water seepage, shooting at low angles near the water or splashes from my children (or other children).

Want a more extreme example of how weather sealing is useful?
Ask this guy :
PENTAX DUST AND WEATHER SEALING IN AFGHANISTAN - YouTube
[youtube]Eo61t5fH6Qw[/youtube]

Last edited:
Thoughts and Conclusion

In a market where tech is expected to move fast and 'improve' every quarter.
Where megapixels keeps spiraling up and handphone whizbang is added to cameras as new 'needs for the photographer'.
With manufacturers scrambling to define themselves from the competition in this way.
Its good to see a camera like the K30 go somewhat the other way.

A camera rooted in fundamentals.
Fundamentals of what it takes to help a photographer take photos and do imaging.
Features/handling that help the photographer use a camera fast and efficiently, in all conditions and at a good price.

Its good to see that entry level does not mean entry level features/handling.

Other comments :

There's often the query

"Old K5 or a K30? They are about the same price now"
My take :
K30 is the better camera in most ways. (MHO)
The old K5 is better in build (mag alloy body); Top LCD panel; timer and IR bracketing function; FPS.
So choose the camera with the feature and handling that you need.

"K01 or K30? K01 is such a steal right now"
Again no straight answer; either one is ok depending on budget and how the user will need one feature/handing over another.
The K30 is the better camera for sure.
It also shoots SLR style, which I think is more stable than the arms out style of a LCD MILC like the K01.
The K01 is better only for faster shutter reaction in LV as there is no mirror mechanism to take care of.
For the user who can do away with SLR/viewfinder style shooting, the K01 is a viable and really cheap option to great IQ.

"K30 or the new K5IIs?"
I can't say that I'm very qualified to say too much, since I've only handled the K5IIs a few times.
But IMO, the K5IIs is a better camera with its -3eV low light focus capability that is real fast and the very sharp o/p without the AA filter on the sensor.
It also has the features/build that the older K5 has over the K30 as mentioned above.
But if one needs the focus peaking in a DSLR, then the K30 is the one to consider. (the K5 is very good too with a good focusing screen for manual focus; so it depends on what the user prefers)

Last edited:
Thanks for the wonderful review/photos from a K-30 user perspective! The features that you have highlighted in this thread are the key reasons why I bought a K-30. If pair up K-30 with Pentax DA Limited series of prime lenses or FA/DA* lenses...the image quality of the photos is just amazing!!

Will get the next version. K30 is for son.

Tried out the K30 with DA18-135WR in school today. Photos were really sharp and the video was ok.

Wow..cool.. :)

Thanks Pinholecam for the in-depth and superb review.

Sharing my personal experience with it.
I have gotten the Pentax K30 around late Jan 2013. It took me awhile to decide to change from Pentax K5 to K30.
The Pentax K30 is really a nice camera after 3 months of usage. It is an overall a very good camera for an entry level camera. The grip is deep enough which I could hold the camera with long lens with ease. The camera is responsive and the controls are well placed. There's some difference in the button placement, therefore, took me some time to get used to it.

During this 3 months, I have took it to the River Ang Bao, Chingay 2013, J’obession at the Cathay and Esplanade Outdoor Theatre, Fashion step out at Tangs and the recent Tokyo Auto Salon. I got to say the camera has improved alot and has perform better than the K5 in some aspects.

Some of the photos below:
River Ang Bao Pentax

Chingay 2013

J’obession at the Cathay

MICappella - Explanade Outdoor Theatre

TANGS Spring 2013 : Water Colours - Fashion Step out 2013

pinholecam,

As per your pictures in the swimming pool, can you take pictures inside the water? Say just immerse the lens into the water, 10 or 50mm below water level.

Thank You

EisMann

pinholecam,

As per your pictures in the swimming pool, can you take pictures inside the water? Say just immerse the lens into the water, 10 or 50mm below water level.

Thank You

EisMann

I've not tried it.
Its water resistant not 'water proof to x meters' so no guarantees here.
I have placed 1/10 of the camera in flowing water at the water play park before though.

If its a real fast full immersion that is not deep enough for the water pressure to seep into the seals, then I do think the camera is safe.

For the water resistance, here are two videos.

[youtube]qtF4z7uKYoY[/youtube]

[youtube]mggL0Sf2jQ8[/youtube]

Last edited:
Morning Pinholecam,

I have 2 more enquiries to trouble you.

1) That swimming pool shots, were they taken with one 3 prime lenses or kit lens? Were they WR series type?

I was happened to be in AMK hub last evening and saw one shop selling Pentax camera. (a rare sight) K30 was offering with kit lens 18~55mm together with a Sigma 70~300mm lens at $1093. When I mentioned about swimming pool shots in this fourm, he told me it would be safer to use WR (water resistance) series lens. A 18~55mm at $198.

2) Those night shots you have taken in few months back in Marina; the couple taking self portrait and the wayang girl, were they originally in JPEG or RAW? The colours were superb in my opinion.

For the couple, the colour was equally balance. But for the wayang girl, the face was brighter than the rest. I assume it was a spotlight shone on her at the time the shot was taken.

Thank You
EisMann

EisMann,

Just to take note that the K-30 is weather-resistant, it is not meant to be an underwater camera. Don't think JK is encouraging anyone here to dunk the whole thing regularly, I think it may survive but it's a game of chance. I am confident that the K-30 will be able to take splashes with ease.

For underwater shots, you may wish to purchase cameras specifically designed for that purpose.. Pentax makes a number of compacts too which are designed for submerged usage. :)

Morning Pinholecam,

I have 2 more enquiries to trouble you.

1) That swimming pool shots, were they taken with one 3 prime lenses or kit lens? Were they WR series type?

I was happened to be in AMK hub last evening and saw one shop selling Pentax camera. (a rare sight) K30 was offering with kit lens 18~55mm together with a Sigma 70~300mm lens at $1093. When I mentioned about swimming pool shots in this fourm, he told me it would be safer to use WR (water resistance) series lens. A 18~55mm at $198.

2) Those night shots you have taken in few months back in Marina; the couple taking self portrait and the wayang girl, were they originally in JPEG or RAW? The colours were superb in my opinion.

For the couple, the colour was equally balance. But for the wayang girl, the face was brighter than the rest. I assume it was a spotlight shone on her at the time the shot was taken.

Thank You
EisMann

>> They were with the DA 18-55 (WR). Yes,its the WR series.
I think the price for it is as you mentioned.

>> I did not take those shots. They are by Ranchy.

1)

>> I did not take those shots. They are by Ranchy.

Opps!!

Thanks Pinholecam for the in-depth and superb review.

Sharing my personal experience with it.
I have gotten the Pentax K30 around late Jan 2013. It took me awhile to decide to change from Pentax K5 to K30.
The Pentax K30 is really a nice camera after 3 months of usage. It is an overall a very good camera for an entry level camera. The grip is deep enough which I could hold the camera with long lens with ease. The camera is responsive and the controls are well placed. There's some difference in the button placement, therefore, took me some time to get used to it.

During this 3 months, I have took it to the River Ang Bao, Chingay 2013, J’obession at the Cathay and Esplanade Outdoor Theatre, Fashion step out at Tangs and the recent Tokyo Auto Salon. I got to say the camera has improved alot and has perform better than the K5 in some aspects.

Some of the photos below:
River Ang Bao Pentax

Chingay 2013

Good Morning Ranchy,

For these 2 shots, were they shot in JPEG format?

Thank You
EisMann

EisMann,

Just to take note that the K-30 is weather-resistant, it is not meant to be an underwater camera. Don't think JK is encouraging anyone here to dunk the whole thing regularly, I think it may survive but it's a game of chance. I am confident that the K-30 will be able to take splashes with ease.

For underwater shots, you may wish to purchase cameras specifically designed for that purpose.. Pentax makes a number of compacts too which are designed for submerged usage. :)

Good Morning Pinholecam,

I am aware of my expectation for K30 in terms of water proof or resisitance.

I had taken 1 shot, donkey years ago of an above water level shot with an unknown brand of digicam (it was free with Times mag subscrption) in Sembawang Beach of my son wading in the water. For those I had shown, they thought my son was a good swimmer that able to swim out to open sea. It was not photoshopped. My pants were wet from the wave splash and to ensure the digicam not wet.

Fast forward this year, I was at Sentosa last month in that water-park. There was this man-made pool with false reef for scuba diving. Because of the storm built up, nobody allowed to go in. I did took a few shots at the edge of the pool with Olympus T320 by immersing my arm into the water to take the shots. Hence my enquiry to you whether have you tried to take shots just with the lens submerged just below the water level.

Bottomline, I am impressed with K30's capability when I read the reviews here & esp so when I saw Ranchy's nightshots.
If those were originally taken in JPEG format, I will not hesitate to choose K30 once I upgrade from my bridge camera.

Thank You
EisMann