Pentax K30 -Out and About -A user review

Nice review JK.

A nice balance of words & pictures. Thanks for your effort :thumbsup:

Glad you like it. :)
Thanks for the encouragement.

Fantastic shots. Makes me wanna go buy one now hehehe

One minor niggle...

8538064731_b4eaf71952_b.jpg

If there is a niggle of compliant up to this point.
It is this.
We don't know what we've missed until we miss it.
Certainly so in this case.
My previous camera before the K30 was its older and higher end sibling the K5.
It came with the capability to do exposure bracketing with shutter release via IR remote or self timer.
On the K30, these 2 options absent.
There is exposure bracketing on the camera, but it releases on shutter button press, obviously not the most ideal for long exposures.

Thats not as bad as it sounds though.
The work around :
1. Shoot old school and set each exposure bracket manually and then release shutter via timer or IR remote. (The sturdy tripod will hold the camera steady so that no camera shake/shift occurs)
2. Use a wired remote with the exposure bracket function.

I did not read the manual that the wired remote option was available before the trip (there I admitted it :) )
So used option #1 throughout the trip.
Anyway, I'm getting a wired remote off ebay (again just a ~$10 item shipped off ebay, so no big a deal to me)
As can be seen from the 2 photos on this page, old school works pretty fine too.

8539172836_66e7bcca93_b.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic shots. Makes me wanna go buy one now hehehe

Thanks.
There are just too many nice cameras out there nowadays. :D

JK, you make me miss my K5 and FA 31. Thanks for your wonderful review.

Anthony, glad you liked the review.
Its good that an entry priced camera like the K30 nowadays is so choke full of features/performance that just a few years back we had to use higher end cameras to get them.

Great review on the K30. You provided a user practical user perspective bundled with great photos. Lovely limited lens...especially the FA Limiteds :)

Nice review as usual JK :)

Think this will increase the Pentax sale . Too bad I don't own a k30. Else will help to promote this thread :)

Focus Peaking

8566014131_0dae01198d_c.jpg

K30; M85/2; shot with the aid of LV focusing peaking

The K30 is perhaps at time of writing the only DSLR that has focus peaking from its OEM firmware.
Given Pentax's K-mount backward compatibility (thats over 30yrs of nice legacy lenses), its a nice feature when used with legacy manual focus (MF) lenses.

In use, I found it to be very handy, allowing me to find the area of peaked contrast fast.

Personally, I'm still a bit of an old shooter, so I prefer using a good focusing screen on the optical viewfinder (100% coverage on the K30 btw).
But I do think that I will use the peaking feature more in the future as I have not invested in a dedicated focusing screen on my K30.

Do note that as this is a DSLR, the shutter/mirror mechanism in live view (LV) needs to come down and up again upon shutter release, so there is a split second lag for this to happen.
So for moving subjects, its not ideal, for other stuff, its great.

Last edited:
its a good camera and good picture.
can i have one....
is anyone know how much the price

just LOVE the layout of all the buttons and controls ...very logical ... was out with a CS'er recently who was shooting with it and i could see access to controls were super easy
just not too keen on the funky blue color of his the body

8539158770_b9a8eb2e6e_b.jpg

View of the 101 from higher ground -a relief to be carry a less encumbering setup like the K30 and small primes
No joke as it was 10mins continuous fast pace up the flight of stairs up to the vantage point. (a decent pace as most guides say it needs to be 15-30mins)

Handling

In the hand, the camera feels pretty solid.
Plastic casing of the body is smooth, hard, sort of like perhaps a fridge or kitchen appliance.
A good thing, as its not some 'knocky', light feeling plastic that can sometimes be found on low end bodies.
The grip is deep and reassuring.
I find the weight to be good, not being overly heavy.

8551694954_dcf1df4187_z.jpg

Top view - Quite a wealth of buttons for fast access
2 custom modes that can be configured by the user marked U1/U2 (again often a higher end camera feature)

8550593397_63d0aafbf9_z.jpg

Back view - Plenty of buttons arrayed to the right, so its easily accessed with the camera holding hand (with one hand)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8367/8552296115_016a80757a_z.jpg
8552296115_016a80757a_z.jpg

Side view (left) - the RAW switch and AF mode switch

Theres plenty of buttons for fast access on the K30.
Some like the 2 dials, RAW/AF buttons are customizable too.
There are also 2 custom modes that can be saved by the user on the top dial.

For even more options, there is also the quick menu, which can be accessed at the push of the 'INFO' button.

8553399874_22eac4aa61_z.jpg

Quick Menu -offering more often used settings not on the hard buttons

Last edited:
very nice photos of taiwan you have. and k30 is a good camera and enjoy it. thanks for the review.

Great review on the K30. You provided a user practical user perspective bundled with great photos. Lovely limited lens...especially the FA Limiteds :)

Great review c/w awesome photos, JK. KUDOS to you!!
:thumbsup::cheergal:

Good detailed and balanced review. :)

very nice photos of taiwan you have. and k30 is a good camera and enjoy it. thanks for the review.

Thanks guys.
Its really nice to get the encouragement.
Appreciate x3

Nice review as usual JK :)

Think this will increase the Pentax sale . Too bad I don't own a k30. Else will help to promote this thread

Ha..ha..
Too bad I don't have Pentax shares.
I'm happy enough that the nice interface/handling we like (and often take for granted) gets mentioned in the review.

its a good camera and good picture.
can i have one....
is anyone know how much the price

You can check out on the latest/best prices in the Pentax subsection (just ask there and I'm sure some of the guys there have the latest info)
Cheers!

just LOVE the layout of all the buttons and controls ...very logical ... was out with a CS'er recently who was shooting with it and i could see access to controls were super easy
just not too keen on the funky blue color of his the body

Thanks man!
You're always so encouraging.
Yes, its really nice handling for its price point.

It does come in other colors ;) :)

K30_Colors.jpg

Yes Yes.. just love the colours. :)

The Glossy Red is very nice. Reminds me of the Limited 645D. Droolz..

16MP and image quality

8572373133_63e738668a_c.jpg

Prints ranging from 4R, A4, A3

The K30 has a 16mp sensor, which I have found to be enough for most practical intents.
What I've found very good with Pentax's implementation of the 16mp sensor is that it has very fine grain and low in chroma noise without sacrificing detail.
This allows an image to be pushed in post process and/or printed with only luminescence noise to take care of or showing up as more acceptable grains w/o the more unacceptable chroma noise grains.

Those interested can always pop by DPreview or ImagingResource to make use of their comparison samples to check out the 100% crops.
DPR - Pentax K-30 Review: Digital Photography Review
IR - Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

8550969099_9d5d82801e_z.jpg

8552071432_d764c696b7_z.jpg

Last edited:
Yes Yes.. just love the colours. :)

The Glossy Red is very nice. Reminds me of the Limited 645D. Droolz..

Looks like you got more than 1 K30 :D

Looks like you got more than 1 K30 :D

No lah.. I only got 1.. If I have noticed how nice the K30 Red was, I would have faltered and gotten that instead. I already pay for the white before I see the Glossy Red one.