Pentax K3-II Announced

nosugar

Apr 21, 2012
singapore
http://www.cameraegg.org/pentax-k-3-ii-full-specs-image-to-be-announced-april-23th/ :bigeyes:

Original Article in Japanese is here ...
http://digicame-info.com/2015/04/pentax-k-3-ii-1.html

Some minor additions to K3 eg. GPS, pixel/sensor shifting for super resolution (seen already in Olympus EM5-II)

IMHO ... nothing significant enough to entice Canikon APS-C shooters ...

Added by Pinholecam :

Release details from Pentax Forums.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news/pentax-k-3-ii-officially-announced.html

How the pixel shift works :
http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/how-pentax-k-3-ii-pixel-shifting-works.html

Details from DPR :
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7238180077/hands-on-with-the-pentax-k-3-ii

Last edited:
hmm.. if they are updating the K3.. would there be a new update to the GR also..

I think have to wait for the official release specs.
This one seems translated from a Jap site (given the mis-translations in it).

IMO, any improvement is welcome.
The K3 is already toe to toe against others in its class (win some lose some)
So any additions to its features is can only be a better thing. :)

Looks like I spoke too soon. :D

http://www.adorama.com/alc/7682/art...c=affiliate.cj.4137899&cvosrc=affiliate.65093

The advantage over the Pentax sensor shift high res image is that its a Foveon duplication.
Basically, it shifts over the Bayer array (4 frames) and collects the RGB layout for each pixel. (ie. per pixel color accuracy and resolution)
Anyone with a Foveon camera will know what its capable of and the color reproduction is nothing shot of astounding in good light.
Of course the limitation of Foveon is that in poor light, the more recessed Red layer gets little light and relies on a lot of interpolations to 'think' what is actually Red.
No so for the Pentax method obviously.

Built in GPS too!
So I can imagine geo-tagging for those who use it.
And more importantly, the sensor shift tracking for astro shots!

Seems like a new 4.5 stop shake reduction too!

Interesting times indeed.

Last edited:
Guess my lonely k5iis need a bigger brother to accompany...;)

all hail Pentax!!

Wow!

Its seems like that Adorama link was a mistake leak. :D

Link has been taken down :D :D

Buts its like I summarized.

Damn...
Foveon like resolution and color + Astrotracer (via GPS) + Existing Pentax features = the almost perfect landscape camera. :D

Last edited:
From my point of view, trade off the pop-up flash for the GPS and compass module is not a good choice. How many people using the geo-tag comparing to those use the pop-up flash either for casual shooting or as a control flash for wireless flash. :(

Since it's official already, let's change the title :D

Looks like another winner from Pentax. Pity they couldn't squeeze in a Wi-Fi chip. Would have been a perfect one (to me) if it had Wi-Fi built in...

With all these added features: improved SR, higher resolution, better AF, built-in GPS ... , I think this is like a pre-trial for the FF :D

I added more info from the Pentax Forums and DPReview sites to the top page.

On no built in flash, its a half empty half full way of looking at it.

For one, if the GPS module was 'ON' the hot shoe, one cannot pop up the built in flash too.

On a high end model, its ("ironically") common to not have the pop up flash.
My 5D and A7 don't have one.
Not that I missed them anyway as I believe that far better results are had with off camera or bounced flash. (better light quality; better shaping)
In fact, I usually just take a cheap YinYan small flash ($15 on Taobao) with me if necessary.
For off camera flash, optical trigger via pop-up flash is so 'last week'. (mainly line of sight and cross triggering issues )
A set of YongNuo or whatever China wireless triggers can be set for $35-70 (often 1Tx and 2-3Rx)
Not to mention advanced ones like the YN-560IV which can even control the power on the slave units.

Whats left though is how Pentax will have to address off camera PTTL triggering.
Perhaps they think that using a rather pricey Pentax flash module as master is the way?

Anyway, IMO, its an advanced model, I think the potential users/buyers should be competent enough to 'step up' on this (issue or non-issue)

Last edited:
Since it's official already, let's change the title :D

Looks like another winner from Pentax. Pity they couldn't squeeze in a Wi-Fi chip. Would have been a perfect one (to me) if it had Wi-Fi built in...

With all these added features: improved SR, higher resolution, better AF, built-in GPS ... , I think this is like a pre-trial for the FF :D

Read somewhere that magnesium alloy has strong EMI shielding.Thus a K3 full magnesium alloy body won't emit a strong enough WiFi signal to be effective. In comparison, a Nikon D750 or D7200 has WiFi but NOT a full magnesium alloy (only top and rear is magnesium).

I guess Pentax chose durability over connectivity ... Befitting their tradition of building rugged DSLRs capable of shooting in any outdoor condition, at any price point

Last edited:
It's a nice camera overall. I don't want to come to the discussion on using pop-up flash in P-TTL for casual shooting Vs carrying additional small manual flash. I also have no doubt that many pro body don't have pop-up flash. Just my 2 cents, trade-off the pop-up flash for a much more less usage GPS module is not a good decision to me.

Anyway, the photo taken with the new rotating sensor for more color depth and more resolution uploaded in PF look amazing! Ricoh/Pentax are really clever in utilize their existing sensor shift! As Frank mentioned, I'm eager to see what Pentax can put into the next coming FF body! :)

At first I was a little disappointed with the lack of pop-up flash. Then I remembered that the built in flash is not compatible with large diameter lenses like the DA*16-50 or DA16-85. So in the end an external flash is still required. I think the new WR AF201FG is quite small and cute, runs on AAA batteries and has a tilting head - all for less than a hundred dollars.
Verdict? No big loss without the pop-up flash.

Sometimes the convenience of the Pop up flash is good for fill in... It's particularly useful with those Limiteds.

I actually used to not having Pop up flashes with the current set of cameras I owned.

Sometimes the convenience of the Pop up flash is good for fill in... It's particularly useful with those Limiteds.

I actually used to not having Pop up flashes with the current set of cameras I owned.

I 'poke' you a bit....:sticktong

Seems like ALL your current cameras don't have a pop-up flash :bsmilie:

Mine's 2 out of 4, so 50% don't have :bsmilie:

I 'poke' you a bit....:sticktong Seems like ALL your current cameras don't have a pop-up flash :bsmilie: Mine's 2 out of 4, so 50% don't have :bsmilie:
Q7 got, EM10 got.

Ricoh-pentax.com.sg site shows that retail is $1499. Hope street price can be lower.