Pentax K10D w/ M42 lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mummum

Mar 20, 2007
Hi folks,

How does the current Pentax digital bodies mate to the M42 lenses? via some adapter? will there be some sort of AF confirmation capability? does the SR work as per 'norm'?

Lastly, is there a Pentax split prism screen accessory for ... say K10D?

Many thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, Pentax dSLR cameras works great w/ M42 lenses by using the M42 to PK adapter. The best adapter is made by Pentax themselves, but it's hard to find now. You can get some third party ones quite easily. If a proper adapter is used, our cameras should have AF confirmation but on the very center AF point only. SR works fine as with all the other MF lenses, just need to input the current lens' focal length.

Pentax doesn't make split prism screen for the current dSLR cameras, but many users have been very happy with those made by Katz Eye:
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pentax-DSLRs--cat_pentax.html

Some even use cheap solutions from China, eBay or some other sources. Just be careful with the metering. Some split prism screens do affect the metering result, you might need to add or minus some EV for compensation.

Overall Pentax dSLR cameras work great w/ those old M42 lenses. Just make sure you don't get addicted to those great Takumar M42 lenses :bsmilie:

Does anyone know where to get this katz eye thing in singapore? like shops? :)

Oh yeah, Pentax dSLR cameras works great w/ M42 lenses by using the M42 to PK adapter. The best adapter is made by Pentax themselves, but it's hard to find now. You can get some third party ones quite easily. If a proper adapter is used, our cameras should have AF confirmation but on the very center AF point only. SR works fine as with all the other MF lenses, just need to input the current lens' focal length.

Pentax doesn't make split prism screen for the current dSLR cameras, but many users have been very happy with those made by Katz Eye:
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pentax-DSLRs--cat_pentax.html

Some even use cheap solutions from China, eBay or some other sources. Just be careful with the metering. Some split prism screens do affect the metering result, you might need to add or minus some EV for compensation.

Overall Pentax dSLR cameras work great w/ those old M42 lenses. Just make sure you don't get addicted to those great Takumar M42 lenses :bsmilie:

Thanks again fengwei!

Hi fengwei,

May I know what type of compatible adapter would u recommend? Is there anyway to get the original ones?

Hi fengwei,

May I know what type of compatible adapter would u recommend? Is there anyway to get the original ones?

Well, my friend used to have some of these in stock:

PentaxKAdapters.jpg

But they are all long gone. Don't think you can find these original ones easily nowadays, even in Japan. Besides, Pentax has raised prices for most of their accessories, including this adapter too.

Actually some OEM ones work pretty well. Fotografix at Chinatown Point (#02-13, Mr Wong: 97831271) has some OEM adapters in stock, selling for around 45 each. The quality is very good.

Good luck.

Well, my friend used to have some of these in stock:

PentaxKAdapters.jpg

But they are all long gone. Don't think you can find these original ones easily nowadays, even in Japan. Besides, Pentax has raised prices for most of their accessories, including this adapter too.

Actually some OEM ones work pretty well. Fotografix at Chinatown Point (#02-13, Mr Wong: 97831271) has some OEM adapters in stock, selling for around 45 each. The quality is very good.

Good luck.

Fengwei, I read about ppl having problems getting their adapter out from the camera. Will these 3rd parties adapters faced the same problems as well?

Fengwei, I read about ppl having problems getting their adapter out from the camera. Will these 3rd parties adapters faced the same problems as well?

Some third party adapters do have the problem as you said, but no, not the one sold at Fotographix :) I had that one before, quite liked it. It comes with a tool to get the TC out. But of course the original Pentax ones are still easier to take out (by using your fingernails ;)).

Good luck.

Some third party adapters do have the problem as you said, but no, not the one sold at Fotographix :) I had that one before, quite liked it. It comes with a tool to get the TC out. But of course the original Pentax ones are still easier to take out (by using your fingernails ;)).

Good luck.

Does the one at Fotographix allow for focus to infinity?

Anyone interested, I have one 3rd party adapter similar to the ones selling at Fotografix ............. for sale. Cheaper than them ......... ;)

PM me if anyone is interested in a Takumar SMC 50mm f4 macro lens. :)

Hey guys, no b&s here please ;) There is a dedicated thread for this ...

Ooops... sorry...

Anyway, I'm a Canon user and have been using the old Takumar M42 lenses recently. Am really amazed by what the Takumar range has to offer. The lenses are cheap and great value for money!!! The 50mm f1.4, 135mm f3.5 and 200mm f4 are all excellent!!!

I've not used the 50mm macro much but a recent article from 'zhong gou she yin' says that this old lens compared very well against what the current Pentax macro!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Takumar Super 50mm all shot at f1.4:

takuma50s-003.jpg

takuma50s-004.jpg

takuma50s-005.jpg

takuma50s-006.jpg

takuma50s-007.jpg

takuma50s-008.jpg

takuma50s-009.jpg

takuma50s-010.jpg

Nice and sharp lens with nice bokeh!!!

I use this lens on a eos 5D. At infinity, the mirror will hit the lens......

Will Pentax be releasing a full frame cam any time soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.