Pentax K10D REVIEW at Dpreview

Status
Not open for further replies.
dissappointing SR performance again compared to the sony A100. I was wondering if the K100 SR review was "unlucky" but it seems that the K10D SR test shows not much improvement again compared to the A100.

Actually this review(preview) has been done quite some time ago... way before the camera reached SG... :)

This is the after release review not the hands-on review.

No mention of banding issues at ISO1600... a good thing?

Althought the jpeg's dynamic range is indeed disappointing (in Phil's case?)

I was at MS at Marina Sq last nite, and had played with K10D for a while.. I must say its a lovely camera, not very heavy, and the sound of the focus and the clicking of the exposure was certainly much better than DS.. Praying hard for some fortunes to comes in.. and I will certainly grab one.. I think, JPEG isn't an issue as I normally take in RAW, so.. Gotto see if there is any firmware updates soon... anyway, other than Fengwei and CYOH, anyone into the K10D fever??

Althought the jpeg's dynamic range is indeed disappointing (in Phil's case?)

One thing we should keep in mind though, the *** jpg setting yields about 2.5-2.7mb jpg file on the K10D, which means the camera has done too much to compress the jpg file, which might cause the loss of detail and sharpness in the testing results.

The three jpg files compared at DPReview:

K10D(10mp sensor): 2.6MB
30D (8.2mp sensor): 2.8MB
D80 (10mp sensor): 3.7MB

D80 has the same sensor as our K10D, but its jpg file is 3.7M while the K10D's jpg file is only 2.6M! That's the difference here.

So my suggestion is: shoot RAW as much as you can, and learn something about your RAW converter, then you'd be able to get the best results out of this great camera :)

I was at MS at Marina Sq last nite, and had played with K10D for a while.. I must say its a lovely camera, not very heavy, and the sound of the focus and the clicking of the exposure was certainly much better than DS.. Praying hard for some fortunes to comes in.. and I will certainly grab one.. I think, JPEG isn't an issue as I normally take in RAW, so.. Gotto see if there is any firmware updates soon... anyway, other than Fengwei and CYOH, anyone into the K10D fever??

I know you'd get one someday, trust me on this ;)

odd....the photo size from my K100D can range from 1.8MB to 3.7MB (all at max resolution setting not RAW).

odd....the photo size from my K100D can range from 1.8MB to 3.7MB (all at max resolution setting not RAW).

JPG is a compressed file format. Its size varies depends on scene or subjects in the photo. I do feel that my previous Ds (a 6mp camera) had larger JPG file size than this K10D (10mp). I think Pentax should do something w/ the K10D so it can generate better JPG output. We all know its RAW output is great, one of the best comparing w/ all the other 10mp cameras.

Of course if you shoot in RAW, it's not a bid deal. And K10D's RAW (PEF) file is almost the same size as the DS' PEF file :D

One thing we should keep in mind though, the *** jpg setting yields about 2.5-2.7mb jpg file on the K10D, which means the camera has done too much to compress the jpg file, which might cause the loss of detail and sharpness in the testing results.

D80 has the same sensor as our K10D, but its jpg file is 3.7M while the K10D's jpg file is only 2.6M! That's the difference here.

So my suggestion is: shoot RAW as much as you can, and learn something about your RAW converter, then you'd be able to get the best results out of this great camera :)

I agree with you. Maybe JPG was compressed too much.

I agree with you. Maybe JPG was compressed too much.

At lease Phil himself also admitted that K10D's RAW outputs are superior to those from Nikon D80 and Canon 30D :D Some guy even compared K10D's RAW quality to Nikon D200 (which is alot more expensive than K10D), and they are quite comparable (and the results were all from Phil's own testing samples):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=21295761
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=21295761

Actually, if you are a busy man like me who works as a graphic designer, you would want your pictures to be right on target straight from the camera. Having still to do some converting & post-processing for the RAW images after you take the pictures will cost you some productive time. Imagine, having to layout hundreds of images for a magazine!!? IMO, Pentax should release a firmware fix for the soft jpegs issue. :)

Actually, if you are a busy man like me who works as a graphic designer, you would want your pictures to be right on target straight from the camera. Having still to do some converting & post-processing for the RAW images after you take the pictures will cost you some productive time. Imagine, having to layout hundreds of images for a magazine!!? IMO, Pentax should release a firmware fix for the soft jpegs issue. :)

I have to agree on that. I myself also lazy to shoot in RAW.
I still prefer to shoot JPG, even though I know it is going to lose in quality.
Maybe for some photos will shoot in RAW, but definitely not for fashion and events. :bsmilie:

Hi FengWei,

what software do you use to process your pictures?
I have not done anything with RAW files before and would like to learn.
BTW, do you work at NUS?

Thanks

I know you'd get one someday, trust me on this ;)

Hahaha.. reading all the reviews and feedbacks in the forums definitely making me very tempted to attempt to buy the camera.. maybe even using Installment!!! But I told myself to hold it till sometime later, anyway, my DS is doing just fine for me now.. plus... haven't really got much time to go out there to take photos these days.....:dunno:

I wonder how dpreview grade the Highly Recommeded band. If you sum up the ratings, Sony A-100 got 50 and gets a Highly Recommeded, but K10D got 52 and is Highly Recommeded(just). D80 has 53, only 1 point higher.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk10d/page25.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/page30.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/page29.asp

Well, maybe they got paid to get HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.. hahaha... maybe not.. but there some guage i think, values of cameras verses the points...

Status
Not open for further replies.