Pentax K10D Battery Life...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tohcp

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Dear fellow K10D user,

I have some questions regarding my 2 weeks old K10D:

1) How many shots can the K10D last before "Battery Depleted" message appear?

I only got around 140 shots instead of the 400+ shots mentioned by Pentax before battery when flat. I have 2 D-LI50 batteries and both show the same batery life. Both have been discharge/charge a few times so i guess it should have been properly conditioned. All camera setting is at default. On board Flash was not use.

2) I am not sure if anyone have notice this but i just chance upon this recently.

If you were to notice the viewfinder infomation display (at the bottom) and at the same time try zooming in and out, sometimes, you will see the viewfinder display intensity brighten and dimmed depending on the focal length. Is it normal? I am worry it may be drawing some amount of electrical current causing the battery to drain fast.

I have to clarify this before making a trip to Shriro House for servicing.

Thanks in advance.

Dear fellow K10D user,

I have some questions regarding my 2 weeks old K10D:

1) How many shots can the K10D last before "Battery Depleted" message appear?

I only got around 140 shots instead of the 400+ shots mentioned by Pentax before battery when flat. I have 2 D-LI50 batteries and both show the same batery life. Both have been discharge/charge a few times so i guess it should have been properly conditioned. All camera setting is at default. On board Flash was not use.

2) I am not sure if anyone have notice this but i just chance upon this recently.

If you were to notice the viewfinder infomation display (at the bottom) and at the same time try zooming in and out, sometimes, you will see the viewfinder display intensity brighten and dimmed depending on the focal length. Is it normal? I am worry it may be drawing some amount of electrical current causing the battery to drain fast.

I have to clarify this before making a trip to Shriro House for servicing.

Thanks in advance.

Finally managed to figured why, my own ignorance, pardon me....

1) Battery life: now i try without using the on-board flash, i could get around 500 shots!. I guess the on-board flash sucked up a lot of juice.

2) Viewfinder intensity: Clean the len mounting electrical contacts only, symptom gone.

:sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Finally managed to figured why, my own ignorance, pardon me....

1) Battery life: now i try without using the on-board flash, i could get around 500 shots!. I guess the on-board flash sucked up a lot of juice.

2) Viewfinder intensity: Clean the len mounting electrical contacts only, symptom gone.

:sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

1) but on your first post you said the on-board flash was not used?:bigeyes:

2) some thing new to me. Thanks for sharing.:)

1) but on your first post you said the on-board flash was not used?:bigeyes:

2) some thing new to me. Thanks for sharing.:)

I should have been very specific in my very first post, again, my humble apologies, the on-board flash was used 5% throughout the shots. My impression was that since only 10% (not much??), may be next to "not use" at all. Because, in the first place, it never ever came across my mind that the on-board flash would depletes the battery life.
Sorry for the confusion. :confused:

And one more thing, i left the camera on Standby mode for a few hours instead of physically powering OFF, i guess this also contribute the draining of the battery.:nono:

So i guess the K10D battery stamina is quite up to specs afterall.:thumbsup:

Anyway, this is my first DSLR, still trying to tap the power of this K10D....not battery power.

I should have been very specific in my very first post, again, my humble apologies, the on-board flash was used 5% throughout the shots. My impression was that since only 10% (not much??), may be next to "not use" at all. Because, in the first place, it never ever came across my mind that the on-board flash would depletes the battery life.
Sorry for the confusion. :confused:

And one more thing, i left the camera on Standby mode for a few hours instead of physically powering OFF, i guess this also contribute the draining of the battery.:nono:

So i guess the K10D battery stamina is quite up to specs afterall.:thumbsup:

Anyway, this is my first DSLR, still trying to tap the power of this K10D....not battery power.

Sorry, 5% should be 10%...;(

regardless of the brand, you can't escape physics...there is only so much power in the battery and the flash will need that much current to fire. Hence if you use the flash alot, be prepared to suffer on battery life. btw, why would you need to use flash so often?
The beauty for DSLR is unlike P&S, you can take most shots without a flash..

regardless of the brand, you can't escape physics...there is only so much power in the battery and the flash will need that much current to fire. Hence if you use the flash alot, be prepared to suffer on battery life. btw, why would you need to use flash so often?

That depends on what you are shooting. I have been firing my external flash for 90% of my shots for the past 2 weekends, mainly as fill-in flash for people shots. I don't know, i don't really like the built in flash, so seldom use it.

I used the on-board flash as a fill flash. Now, i almost always use the external flash.

I only have the kit len which is slow especially for indoor shots. Guess...it..is..time..to buy a faster len...:think:

At the most, i bumbed up the ISO to 800 if my subject is relatively "still". Luckily, the noise level for ISO800 is well control for indoor shot and under natural lighting, IMHO.:thumbsup:

My one battery allow me to shoot at least 400 pic without using build in flash. There were two times when battery still show full, I forgot to turn off the power to change the lens. After new lens used, the battery soon run out. I don't know whether it was because of the chanigng lens without power turn off, or it WAS the time battery suppose to run out. Anyone got idea on this? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.