Pentax K100D REVIEW at dpreview ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.
woww. good ratings.

that is a pretty fair and accurate review.

however i find that the measurebations doesn't mean a thing if you're only concern about taking pictures.

IMHO, Pentax is NOT for machine gun shooters with super unlimited buffers and lightning fast autofocus dependant action/sports shooters.

Congrats to K100D for getting Dpreview highly recommended ratings..:thumbsup:

Now waiting for the K10D's turn. Hope it will have the same, or better, IQ. That will be my upgrade path.

The review looks good :thumbsup: ... I wonder if it is easy to get a 18-200mm (Sigma, Tamron) and a 50mm 1.8 for this camera ?:think: Than dun buy D40 liao get this instead

First one yes, and quite easy.

second one hard - you could get a 50 1.4, but even that one is difficult to get in singapore.

You do know that the D40 with a Nikkor 50 1.8 will be a manual focus camera right?

Would you get the K100D now that K10D is in store? :think:

I think I may if the Kit price is less than S$850! Use it as a backup body. :thumbsup:

I think I may if the Kit price is less than S$850! Use it as a backup body. :thumbsup:

If you are a good bargainer, I'm sure you can get one set of K100D for that price :) The K100D is a great camera, got excellent SR, and its DR is one of the best, got ISO3200, and it's cleaner than K10D at higher ISO, it's smaller and lighter. Go n buy one lah :D

If you are a good bargainer, I'm sure you can get one set of K100D for that price :) The K100D is a great camera, got excellent SR, and its DR is one of the best, got ISO3200, and it's cleaner than K10D at higher ISO, it's smaller and lighter. Go n buy one lah :D

Hi Feng Wei,

I'm also interested to buy K100D as backup camera, my concern is, Pentax lenses are more expensive than C/N.
Take an example of very famous prime lens 50mm F1.8 cost around SGD 130 and I heard that similar DA lens is more expensive and must be pre-ordered first.
But indeed, K100D is good camera... better handling compare to my 400D.

Hi Feng Wei,

I'm also interested to buy K100D as backup camera, my concern is, Pentax lenses are more expensive than C/N.
Take an example of very famous prime lens 50mm F1.8 cost around SGD 130 and I heard that similar DA lens is more expensive and must be pre-ordered first.

so far, checking the stores, Canon indeed have a cheap and fast 50mm but they also have an expensive version too. In general, most of the other C lenses are more expensive. Also, for the K100D and K10D, you don't need to buy a ridiculously expensive lens for image stabilisation. Multiply that by several lenses and you will see the Pentax owner is drinking coffee at coffee bean while the same C fellow is drinking Nuwater....;p. But yes, C by virtue of their market base has a wider choice of similar lenses to choose from...

so far, checking the stores, Canon indeed have a cheap and fast 50mm but they also have an expensive version too. In general, most of the other C lenses are more expensive. Also, for the K100D and K10D, you don't need to buy a ridiculously expensive lens for image stabilisation. Multiply that by several lenses and you will see the Pentax owner is drinking coffee at coffee bean while the same C fellow is drinking Nuwater....;p. But yes, C by virtue of their market base has a wider choice of similar lenses to choose from...

Yes, you're right.
Do you know how much the price of Pentax Prime 50mm f1.7?
I intend to sell my 400D away and buy K100D+kit+50mm f1.7.
I believe these would be a good choice for me.

Please advise and thanks.

Hello,
Which shop sell K100D for less than S$850?

Yes, you're right.
Do you know how much the price of Pentax Prime 50mm f1.7?
I intend to sell my 400D away and buy K100D+kit+50mm f1.7.
I believe these would be a good choice for me.

Please advise and thanks.

mm..may need to check with Feng wei on that.
I have an FA50 f/1.4 instead. I think it sells for around $360 from overseas but I managed to buy it lower second-hand. After using a 50mm lens, I think you may be better off with something I am also looking for: a 20+mm lens instead. The 50mm is a tad too high magnification for general use. I find myself having to step back to get a wider view but of course, that's your choice.

BTW, I think some of the advice here still stands. If you are happy with the 400D, there's really no reason to change to the Pentax and re-invest on your lenses unless the K100D has something you need, eg. built-in SR, etc. Afterall, Canon does have more lenses available here in Singapore.

What I advocate is if you're starting new, the Pentax is really value for money. Remember, all things being equal, Canon cameras cost more here than many countries whereas Pentax cameras cost less! As for lens range, I have 2-3 lenses in mind. Once you have bought them, the availability of wide range of other lenses becomes moot. Pentax may not have as wide range as Canon or Nikon (i think) but they do have what I need.

Hi Feng Wei,

No pentax 50 1.7 with AF is in production.

However, the 50 1.4 is very affordable as compared to the canon/nikon version.

BTW, I think some of the advice here still stands. If you are happy with the 400D, there's really no reason to change to the Pentax and re-invest on your lenses unless the K100D has something you need, eg. built-in SR, etc. Afterall, Canon does have more lenses available here in Singapore.

I have only kit lens with my 400D.. so i can simply sell it off and jump to Pentax from scratch

I have only kit lens with my 400D.. so i can simply sell it off and jump to Pentax from scratch

Yes. It is still not too late to make a change. Since, you hv not invested in those expensive
L lens yet. :bsmilie: Only suffer a bit of loss. :confused:

I would suggest you keep your 400D temporary, if you have spare cash.
Buy the K100D and try it out. Shoot with both the cameras and see which one you prefer.
I would prefer you spend a bit more on a K10D instead, since the resale value is higher.

Hello,
Which shop sell K100D for less than S$850?

This price i speculate only! :bsmilie: Fengwei was once offered $950 at a shop in Simlim!!!
So, it really depends on your bargaining power. :sweat: If you can buy at less than $1K, itz a good bargain oredy, me thinks.

Dun worry, if Pentax dun have the lens you want. You still have Tokina, Sigma, Tamron & friends. They also sell you good lens at more affordable prices than C & N. Even my D80 is using the Sigma 17-70 lens. ;)

I held the K100D once at AP & i love the handling. But at the end of the day, i need a better continous shooting mode to do some cool animation in my design works. ;p

This price i speculate only! :bsmilie: Fengwei was once offered $950 at a shop in Simlim!!!
So, it really depends on your bargaining power. :sweat: If you can buy at less than $1K, itz a good bargain oredy, me thinks.

Dun worry, if Pentax dun have the lens you want. You still have Tokina, Sigma, Tamron & friends. They also sell you good lens at more affordable prices than C & N. Even my D80 is using the Sigma 17-70 lens. ;)

I held the K100D once at AP & i love the handling. But at the end of the day, i need a better continous shooting mode to do some cool animation in my design works. ;p

Went to simlim yesterday but can't find shop sells less than $1K for k100D kit.
AP offered me $1050.

Status
Not open for further replies.