pentax k1000

D2Hpeter

Dec 20, 2003
Visit site
thinking of getting a pentax k1000 but seems to be hard to find one in singapore.

kind of prefer this to the nikon fm10.

any advice where to hunt for the k1000 [preferably the asahi] with 50 f2 m with reasonable quality?

there is a lot in sale on pentax bns, appears once in a month, easy to find

Try Pentax BnS here on CS.
Any reason why you are specifically looking at K1000?

A ME Super, MX, Super Program are probably easier to use.
Unless you like the style/build and needle exposure indicator of the K1000.
Its built like a tank though.

thinking of getting a pentax k1000 but seems to be hard to find one in singapore.

kind of prefer this to the nikon fm10.

any advice where to hunt for the k1000 [preferably the asahi] with 50 f2 m with reasonable quality?

K1000 quite rare here, if you willing to wait, will appear once in a while in bns or you can try your luck with "WTB" there, otherwise you can try ebay, no short of stock there.

thanks all bros for the prompt reply.

prefer k1000 firstly quite good review on its build, as one bro mentioned.
secondly want to try the very basic of photography ie all manual including advancing the frames and rewinding the film, LOL, after shooting a while with dslr and auto film slr.
though i am shooting with nikon but i remember that i used a pentax fully manual [can't remember which model though, belonging to my uncle] more than a quarter of century ago, 26 yrs to be exact, lol, and loved it a lot. Amazingly those film photos taken with it is still around and good till this day. Won't be surprised that the camera itself might be still with him and functional.

get k1000 se with brown leather. it's really cool ;)

thanks all bros for the prompt reply.

prefer k1000 firstly quite good review on its build, as one bro mentioned.
secondly want to try the very basic of photography ie all manual including advancing the frames and rewinding the film, LOL, after shooting a while with dslr and auto film slr.
though i am shooting with nikon but i remember that i used a pentax fully manual [can't remember which model though, belonging to my uncle] more than a quarter of century ago, 26 yrs to be exact, lol, and loved it a lot. Amazingly those film photos taken with it is still around and good till this day. Won't be surprised that the camera itself might be still with him and functional.

There is something pleasurable to the fiddle here fiddle there to get a photo taken ;)
K1000 a bit rarer on BnS here compared to the others.
They are very common on ebay, but condition is hard to know for sure.
Be ready to replace the light seals if buying on ebay.

Good luck with the camera hunt! :)

manage to get one online from adorama.
come with a A 50mm f2 lens. Yet to receive it

Thinking of getting another M 50mm f1.4. Is it advisable? Heard that the M lens and better built as compared to the A lens. Personally i dont mind all manual lens.

D2Hpeter said:
manage to get one online from adorama.
come with a A 50mm f2 lens. Yet to receive it

Thinking of getting another M 50mm f1.4. Is it advisable? Heard that the M lens and better built as compared to the A lens. Personally i dont mind all manual lens.

Haha... Get my A50/1.4... Sell u cheap2... :p

Yeah the smc-m 50mm f1,4 is quite good, I have the 50mm f2, personally don't like it that much. I have the original smc-k 50m f1,4 that came with the K series as well. Soft and hazy wide-open but things gets much better when 2 stops down.

Or if you wanna go crazy...... fa 43mm f1,9 or the 50mm f1,2 ;) poison,poison, poison, poison,poison.......

wonder if i need any flash for this K1000?
is the AF 200FG Flash suitable?

K or M50/1.4 works better than an A50 on K1000 'cause it doesn't support auto aperture anyway, and K/M versions are better built than A versions. I don't really suggest you go for a flash at the moment. Just start to shoot some film w/ what you got (K1000 w/ 50/2 lens) and see how you like it. You might not like shooting film as much as you hoped. If really enjoy shooting film, can always get other stuff later on...

unfortunately k1000 doesn't support TTL/P-TTL flash. With manual flash, u will need to get a flash meter, or bring/memorize those GN table :bsmilie:

that's the fun of k1000, I guess. all manual ;)

You'll need a flash with 'Auto' and even better, one with Manual flash power controls. (Eg. Vivitar 285HV)

If you are familiar with manual flash, then any Pentax flash with manual flash power control can be used.
I often use manual flash off camera via a China Wireless Trigger.

i still have my elder bro K1000 bought in 1976.
it's MIJ with Asahi on the front.
for flash, get those with f stops and distance chart type.
mine was Sunpak (i think) back in the 70s and it produced good results.:)

thanks all helpful Pentaxian
Think i will go without flash first. should be able to do fine with the additional M50/1.4 that i hv just got. And the A50/2 that came with the K1000 should be ok too in well lit indoor. Meter pointer is near horizontal when i tried at 1/30s f2.
will confirm with my existing sekonic L308s.

Will load in a roll of BW400CN [left in fridge near expiry] this wkend to hv a try on the K1000