Pentax K1 Hands on Session during the weekend

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
(Mod : Original post by Ranchy. Moved to its own new thread)

Pentax K1 Hands on Session during the weekend.

Glad to have the opportunity to test out all the new lenses by Pentax.

Pentax DFA 28-105 F3.5-5.6

I am rather impressed by the 28-105.. Sharp wide open even at 105mm. Do see the 1st picture on how tag sharps are the words are.

Pentax DFA*70-200 F2.8

Damn.. it is a heavy lens! But i felt it is quite well balance on the K1. did not took much photos with it, hope others will share.

Will share the Pentax DFA15-30 F2.8 Pentax DFA 24-70 F2.8 other time ... hee

Last edited:
Ranchy, thanks for the great initiative as usual.

I moved your post to this new thread as I think it deserves one rather than get mixed with the other discussions/posts that is in the other K1 post.

Thanks to APDS for organizing the event and asking us K1 users to it.
Great sharing by Hilarion on using K1/645z in his professional work too.

Here are some of my casual test shots with the DFA28-105.
Why do I bother with a "kit lens"?
Because, I think its no one.

28mm to 105mm is a great all purpose focal length.
If it works out to be sharp at f8 at 28mm, then its a very good option for landscapes as many old 28mm are not that good on the edges.
Especially so when I think I can do 14mm then jump to 28-105mm for my lens combi (for landscapes).
Add to that, AF, Silent AF (if one bothers; I don't), Weather sealing, small/light size and versatile focal length, makes it an interesting proposition.

Futhermore, I already got great primes like the 31, 43, 77, 100 macro and I don't need a higher end more expensive zoom to vie for usage on other genres of photography I do. :D

Untouched up samples and full size avaliable on my Flickr

105mm @f8

20160618-IMGP1914-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

100%

20160618-IMGP1914-1-100% by jenkwang, on Flickr

Great finding and greatjob....thx :) If those looking for a walkabout lens, this is the one for your K1.

Thanks JK for starting this thread. I was unsure on whether to start or continue at our Pentax K1 thread.
Wow your 28-105 shots look solid. Maybe i should have gone with full res also, then Can zoom onto felix face... on 2nd thought, better not. lolx later he wants to get modelling fee from me..

I have shared this at photos taken by Pentax cameras for tech. discussion, will share it here also for easier reference.

Pentax 645Z is also available for us to try and play with it.
Although it was a short time with the 645Z, it was a great experience with it. The handling is great and the weight balance felt is also good.

Taken with DFA645 55mm F2.8 for a simple strobe set up for us to try.
I have uploaded the full size, do note there is editing on in lightroom and skin tone adjustment..

A crop from the middle portion.. so much details. damn impressed by the camera.

Add one more to share.

Nice sharing JK and nice portrait shots of yours and ranchy.

Nice sharing JK and nice portrait shots of yours and ranchy.

Thanks Kengoh.. hee.

Up next is the Pentax DFA15-30 F2.8 ...
My first impression of the lens, it is huge! Bigger that the 24-70! But it is not as heavy as i thought. Focus is quiet and i find it quite fast. Below are some test shots with the lens.

15mm wide open

30mm wide open

15mm trying to take some outdoors images.

26mm

22mm = taking the indoors stairs.

It's an awesome lens. Felt it is tack sharp even at wide open.

Last Sharing of the Pentax DFA 24-70 F2.8

Excellent lens. Actually, i got to feel this lens from a friend and was already enjoying it. sharp wide open and has a very nice rendering.

First 2 pictures are taken in JPEG. did some PP on it. @F2.8

Last picture is taken in DNG. (Great that Pentax supports DNG, much convenient as i can easily use with my older version lightroom.

Last Sharing of the Pentax DFA 24-70 F2.8

Excellent lens. Actually, i got to feel this lens from a friend and was already enjoying it. sharp wide open and has a very nice rendering.

First 2 pictures are taken in JPEG. did some PP on it. @F2.8

Ranchy, you have certainly mastered shooting this genre. Very nicely done. :)

Test shot the DFA15-30 at 15mm.
Good IQ all the way to the edges is no easy thing for a UWA, especially 15mm, so I had to try it out.

Quick Test shot of the DFA15-30 by jenkwang, on Flickr

The full size in in the Flickr for those who are interested.

Too lazy to do 100% crops and I dislike doing it.
Not to mention that these test shots mess up my Flickr page. :D

What can I say?
If IQ that matches the 36mp of the K1 is what you are after, then this lens is it.
No Buts, No Ifs. :D
I can almost read off the "Sound Barrier" word on the top right of the building under construction.

Last edited:
Test shot the DFA15-30 at 15mm.
Good IQ all the way to the edges is no easy thing for a UWA, especially 15mm, so I had to try it out.

https://flic.kr/p/HFdvG2
Quick Test shot of the DFA15-30 by jenkwang, on Flickr

The full size in in the Flickr for those who are interested.

Too lazy to do 100% crops and I dislike doing it.
Not to mention that these test shots mess up my Flickr page. :D

What can I say?
If IQ that matches the 36mp of the K1 is what you are after, then this lens is it.
No Buts, No Ifs. :D
I can almost read off the "Sound Barrier" word on the top right of the building under construction.

Thx guys for all the sharing....dfa1530 is a great lens for pentax till now...

2 portraits from the lovely models.

DFA24-70/2.8

20160618-IMGP1946-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

FA50/1.4

20160618-IMGP1933-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

TBH, I wasn't expecting much chance to shoot for the event and I kept it light by bringing the K1+FA50, but I was pleasantly proved wrong. :D
Good thing was that I could get to use the demo lenses there like the DFA24-70.
24mm to 70mm is just a great focal length range.