Pentax K-X

HoweHao

Apr 26, 2010
Hi all,

I'm intending to get the Pentax K-X model. I read in the forum saying that SLR Revolution and Manly Departmental Store is selling the dual kit lens for $899. When i went down today to SLR, they say no more stock, any other suggested place i can go to get it at the same or lower price? :dunno:

As for the SD card, should I get a higher writing speed card when i purchase the equipment? Because when i visited Emjay and spoke to the so called "technician" there, he claims that a faster writing speed is better for video recording purpose. Is this true? (Cos the price difference of the different writing speeds is quite a fair bit.

As for dry cabinets, where to buy cheap and energy efficient? ;p

Thanks alot in advance! Cheers!!

As for the SD card, should I get a higher writing speed card when i purchase the equipment? Because when i visited Emjay and spoke to the so called "technician" there, he claims that a faster writing speed is better for video recording purpose. Is this true?Cos the price difference of the different writing speeds is quite a fair bit.

I have read for the recording of the 720P HD movie, it will be better if you have a higher speed SD card. If not, might get a laggy or jerky picture. 'Class 6' is a minimum i suppose. Or Sandisk Extreme III or Extreme IV. Or some brand they labelled theirs as 'Class 10'.

I have read for the recording of the 720P HD movie, it will be better if you have a higher speed SD card. If not, might get a laggy or jerky picture. 'Class 6' is a minimum i suppose. Or Sandisk Extreme III or Extreme IV. Or some brand they labelled theirs as 'Class 10'.

I've seen the Class 4 one and Class 10 one. Price is almost double or more comparing the 2. That's why I wanted to consult all the pros here before I (Noob) go and purchase.

Hi all,

I'm intending to get the Pentax K-X model. I read in the forum saying that SLR Revolution and Manly Departmental Store is selling the dual kit lens for $899. When i went down today to SLR, they say no more stock, any other suggested place i can go to get it at the same or lower price? :dunno:

As for the SD card, should I get a higher writing speed card when i purchase the equipment? Because when i visited Emjay and spoke to the so called "technician" there, he claims that a faster writing speed is better for video recording purpose. Is this true? (Cos the price difference of the different writing speeds is quite a fair bit.

1)Try OP/CP/John for stocks for a slightly higher price.$782 is the cheapest already.

2)That should be Kevin

3)If you wanna take videos then buy a camcorder,don't buy DSLR.

4)Digi-Cabi 30L costs from $105(Parisilk)-$128(Challenger)

Hi all,

Try Manly or Orient Photo@SLS . . .

Check our other threads for the phone numbers . . .

I use Sandisk Ultra

I believe K-X uses SD card for memory.
A Sandisk Extreme 30Mb/s 8Gb is currently selling at around $70. a perfect replacement for the slow class 4 freebie.

Try Manly or Orient Photo@SLS . . .

Check our other threads for the phone numbers . . .

I called Manly before, no stock.

But i called Orient Photo, they have !!!

But dual kit is only black... Any idea how much is it if i buy the normal with kit lens, and an additional zoom lens? Maybe the 50 - 200mm?

I dun think Sandisk Ultra II is 'Class 4'. 'Class 4' is quite normal speed. 'Sandisk Ultra II' is said to be 133x. 133x perharps is faster than 'Class 6' ?

I believe K-X uses SD card for memory.
A Sandisk Extreme 30Mb/s 8Gb is currently selling at around $70. a perfect replacement for the slow class 4 freebie.

I see, I was quoted $90 for the same card just now. :nono:

I called Manly before, no stock.

But i called Orient Photo, they have !!!

But dual kit is only black... Any idea how much is it if i buy the normal with kit lens, and an additional zoom lens? Maybe the 50 - 200mm?

Normal price for the 50-200WR as quoted by OP was $620 a few months back. The normal versiuon was about $399 . ..

Sandisk Ultra (Rated Class 4)
Up to 15 MB/s read speed; write speed lower

Sandisk Extreme (Rated Class 10)
Up to 30 MB/s read speed

Info from Sandisk site:
Class ratings measure the minimum sustained speed required for recording an even rate of video onto the card. The class rating number corresponds to the transfer rate measured in megabytes per second. Class 2 cards are designed for a minimum sustained transfer rate of 2 megabytes per second (MB/s), while Class 10 cards are designed for a minimum sustained transfer rate of 10MB/s.

Rated Speed (e.g. 15MB/s, 30MB/s, etc.) is maximum speed of the card and also what you would expect to approximately see in typical usage of writing or reading files on the card. This measurement is pertinent to still photography, especially for taking pictures with high resolution and/or saving in RAW format where the files created are very large. The faster the card, the faster it can save the file and be ready to take another picture. You really notice speed differences with high-megapixel DSLR and multi-shot burst mode.

Still digital images shot on high-megapixel cameras should utilize fast data throughput (a large pipe), higher speed cards for improved performance. Higher speed cards can also improve how fast you can download (or upload) the files from the card to your computer.

Speed Class is a minimum speed based on a worst case scenario test. The Speed Class is important for video mode or camcorders, where the device is actually saving a steady stream of data. The resolution and format of the video determines the amount of steady stream data. This translates to a minimum speed you need to guarantee that the video captured on the cards is recorded at an even, sustained rate with no dropped frames (which typically results in lost data and choppy playback).

Compared to high-megapixel photography, video doesn't need as big a pipe because the video format is a smaller "fixed stream" that uses only a portion of the pipe. But you do need a minimum guaranteed speed for the SDHC card that satisfies the requirement of the data stream. Your camera's specifications should state the minimum SDHC Class Rating required.

Last edited:
At Fuwell 4th Level SLS. They have a Patriot SDHC Class 10 16gb for $79.

Sandisk Ultra (Rated Class 4)
Up to 15 MB/s read speed; write speed lower

Sandisk Extreme (Rated Class 10)
Up to 30 MB/s read speed

Info from Sandisk site:
Class ratings measure the minimum sustained speed required for recording an even rate of video onto the card. The class rating number corresponds to the transfer rate measured in megabytes per second. Class 2 cards are designed for a minimum sustained transfer rate of 2 megabytes per second (MB/s), while Class 10 cards are designed for a minimum sustained transfer rate of 10MB/s.

Rated Speed (e.g. 15MB/s, 30MB/s, etc.) is maximum speed of the card and also what you would expect to approximately see in typical usage of writing or reading files on the card. This measurement is pertinent to still photography, especially for taking pictures with high resolution and/or saving in RAW format where the files created are very large. The faster the card, the faster it can save the file and be ready to take another picture. You really notice speed differences with high-megapixel DSLR and multi-shot burst mode.

Still digital images shot on high-megapixel cameras should utilize fast data throughput (a large pipe), higher speed cards for improved performance. Higher speed cards can also improve how fast you can download (or upload) the files from the card to your computer.

Speed Class is a minimum speed based on a worst case scenario test. The Speed Class is important for video mode or camcorders, where the device is actually saving a steady stream of data. The resolution and format of the video determines the amount of steady stream data. This translates to a minimum speed you need to guarantee that the video captured on the cards is recorded at an even, sustained rate with no dropped frames (which typically results in lost data and choppy playback).

Compared to high-megapixel photography, video doesn't need as big a pipe because the video format is a smaller "fixed stream" that uses only a portion of the pipe. But you do need a minimum guaranteed speed for the SDHC card that satisfies the requirement of the data stream. Your camera's specifications should state the minimum SDHC Class Rating required.

Wow!! good information posted. Can anyone who used the Pentax K-X and used the video recording mode share their experience and which SD card class they are using?

I dun think Sandisk Ultra II is 'Class 4'. 'Class 4' is quite normal speed. 'Sandisk Ultra II' is said to be 133x. 133x perharps is faster than 'Class 6' ?

Sandisk Ultra II is indeed rated as a Class 4 card. That's fine if you're just shooting stills but if you shooting very high fps or video, it is definitely worthwhile to use the Sandisk Extreme which reads and writes data a lot faster. From my experience using both.

wah SLR no stocks for dual kits ? >.< gawd

Wow!! good information posted. Can anyone who used the Pentax K-X and used the video recording mode share their experience and which SD card class they are using?

I'm using Sandisk Ultra to shoot videos.Transfer rate is so-so:)

Normal price for the 50-200WR as quoted by OP was $620 a few months back. The normal versiuon was about $399 . ..

More advisable that i go for the dual kit lens? Makes more money-sense?

Looks versus $$ :think:

I'm using Sandisk Ultra to shoot videos.Transfer rate is so-so:)

Video quality is ok? your transfer rate means the time taken to transfer the files to your computer?