Pentax K-x or Olympus E-620 or Nikon D-90?

BlueSi

Sep 13, 2005
Hi,

I'm not exactly new to photography but has delayed buying my SLR for the longest time as my DMC-FZ5 has been my trusty old friend for so long. The time has come for me to moved on but I'm so confused by the reviews out there.

After much research, narrowed down to Pentax K-x or Olympus E-620 or Nikon D-90 which are within my budget and time horizon. Some says Pentax's main selling point is its value for money but lenses are expensive and limited. Olympus seems like an all-rounder (plus its the lightest!) but no movie mode, also not sure about the availability of 4/3 lenses. Nikon D-90 looks up for review so not sure about the longevity of this model.

I basically like to take landscapes, cityscapes and macro.

Would appreciate your advise on what would be a good choice of first DSLR?

thanks!

You may want to include the Sony A500/A550 as well.

All the models you have listed are very decent cameras which can yield very good results (if you used it correctly). Maybe you would like to visit a store and try them out. The handling and user interface are something which you may want to consider when trying the cams out.

Don't worry too much about lenses if you are not buying every single piece of it. Afterall there are 3rd party lenses available too.

How many lenses will you buy? Let's be real. In most case, we may have a wide angle, a normal, a zoom. There is enough lenses to suit your needs even in Pentax. Go and handle the camera and have an emotional feel - which one are you more comfortable with? Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. You can spend months thinking about the decision and miss many photo opportunities. There is enough info in CS to help you. Do a search, make a decision, go and shoot, and enjoy.

Curious what you meant by D90's longevity, don't know what's that got to do with anything? :dunno: If you want something that's refreshingly new and current then might as well don't even consider a D90 (since it's THAT old). For me, if the camera's good - I'd highly recommend it even if it is long out of production - period.

But lookey lookey, even evibay promotes the D90: http://www.ebay.com/ It's like: "looking for DSLR? D90 perhaps?" along with the iPAD??

Why not the D300s, D3s? Why not Canon, Pentax, Sony? Nikon must have paid Ebay top dollars just to advertise a really old but current model? Or is it simply that's the hotly searched and bought model in USA (or even for most parts of the world?)... I don't know, but there MUST be a reason why a D90 right? I don't believe in pure "Randomness" in anything ebay... :bsmilie:

Hi,

thanks!

beside wat others had advised about the grip and feel you may want to check out the community of the different brand as well.

I am a pentax user and i cant agree with you that pentax lenses are expensive overall. maybe you are talking about the limited range. there are other lenses beside the limited for your genre of photography. generally i find the pentax lenses are value for money. and there is always the 3rd party alternative..:bsmilie:

Last edited:
All 3 models are capable to take the kind of photos you want;)
how about go to their dedicated sub-forum and read about their bad reviews so you can understand the picture better? This is a better way than just comparing their "good" parts I feel...:D

Hi,

I'm not exactly new to photography but has delayed buying my SLR for the longest time as my DMC-FZ5 has been my trusty old friend for so long. The time has come for me to moved on but I'm so confused by the reviews out there.

After much research, narrowed down to Pentax K-x or Olympus E-620 or Nikon D-90 which are within my budget and time horizon. Some says Pentax's main selling point is its value for money but lenses are expensive and limited. Olympus seems like an all-rounder (plus its the lightest!) but no movie mode, also not sure about the availability of 4/3 lenses. Nikon D-90 looks up for review so not sure about the longevity of this model.

Would appreciate your advise on what would be a good choice of first DSLR?

thanks!

Welcome to CS.

Let me clarify :

Value for money - Certainly! $790 with a 18-55mm kit lens with no cut corners in features (Eg. like no spot metering; lens drive motor); In camera shake reduction and high ISO performance that goes toe to toe with camera models x2, x3 more expensive. It is the very best value for money camera ATM.

Lenses are more expensive - Just look at the price list section yourself. The best lenses are mostly comparable in price or lower. If you use older lenses, Pentax is a treasure trove of cheap and good lenses as it offers backward compatibility to all lenses made since 20+, 30yrs ago.

Limited - YES! Limited. Pentax Limited series of lenses are built to the highest of standards. So much so that it is "at a limited capacity to build"
223x149_DA15mm-limited-profile.jpg

223x149_DA-40mm.jpg

223x149_DA-70mm-F2.4.jpg

Lol, all the lenses are easy enough to buy or order.

Last edited:
Hello BlueSi,

May I offer you my 2 cents worth of chickadees...

There are several things which you need to consider before you purchase your dslr - costs, size, weight, handling, additional expenses for purchases of lenses, flash, tripod, accessories, etc...

You mentioned you had your trusty DMC-FZ5 for a long while, I assume you are very happy with the quality of pictures that comes out from your reliable old friend.

I've used the D90, Canon's 450D, GF1, EP1 and now I'm using the Pentax K-x. I have to say the D90 was wonderful but I sold it because I wanted something smaller and lighter for my travels. The K-x too is really good. Both the D90's and K-x's high ISO performance and picture quality are great should you decide to get one of them.

Or......perhaps you may want to consider just getting a new camera similar to your DMC-FZ5 if it can fulfil what you really need in and want from photography.

May I give you an advise if you do not mind...please do not read too much into reviews and comments about gears and performance. It is true what some people say, any camera is great, regardless of its performance only when it is fun having it with you and when you actually need it.

Good luck on your choice. Get whichever you feel you would have fun shooting with.

Actually, Pentax lenses are quite easy to find and cheap too! Because you can use all the old lenses in the used market. And new pentax lenses are actually cheaper. The better (limited) glass has pricing that is pretty similar to all other brands.

With Nikon,the old Ais/Ai manual focus lenses are simply wonderful, but they cannot meter on the D90. So be sure what you are buying into.

That said, Pentax offers the one of the best Kit lenses with their K-x kit. And the price is so irresistable!

PS. I am not a pentax user. I am being objective.

Thank you all for your good advice and on correcting my perception on Pentax lenses.

Its true that there are too many reviews out there and at the end of the day, really need to find a camera that you comfortable with. I shall look for some demo sets. Luckily, choosing a camera is a frustrating but also rather fun problem to have.

Btw, I saw some of the night shots taken with the Pentax Kx in this forum and they are awesome!

D-90 compare with Pentax KX? LOL
Are u comparing the price diff? D-90 is an entry mid level SLR whereas k-x is for budget enthusiasts.
Specs for specs: toner graduation nikon wins hands down, metering wise, still nikon D-90.
so what does k-x have in store? comes is various colours??

K-x is just a gimmick. There is a lot of ppl writing about how good k-x is but i think it is only because it is for budget conscious students?? no comparisons to nikon D-90.

k-x :thumbsd:

Are u comparing the price diff? D-90 is an entry mid level SLR whereas k-x is for budget enthusiasts.
Specs for specs: toner graduation nikon wins hands down, metering wise, still nikon D-90.

K-x is just a gimmick. There is a lot of ppl writing about how good k-x is but i think it is only because it is for budget conscious students?? no comparisons to nikon D-90.

If the other Pentaxians sees this they will :kok::hammer::flame: you like shi*

How about the Canon 550D? If you dont need the tricks the 7D gives, for the price its quite an all rounder especially if you take videos as well.

My advice for beginners is get the newer technology camera if you have no idea what you are doing or what you want from the camera.

Even i myself am keeping a tab the Sony NEX camera developments.

Go with your heart after trying out your choices. It's no use getting a "best" camera if you cannot connect to it.

If the other Pentaxians sees this they will :kok::hammer::flame: you like shi*

If u are reading this forum, this is John O Connor, leader of resistant army.

Bring It On :gbounce::gbounce:

Last edited:
How about the Canon 550D? If you dont need the tricks the 7D gives, for the price its quite an all rounder especially if you take videos as well.

My advice for beginners is get the newer technology camera if you have no idea what you are doing or what you want from the camera.

Even i myself am keeping a tab the Sony NEX camera developments.

I reckon in 8-18 months, cannon would release AKA 600D and 550D will prolly be degraded and becomes obselete.
* Why dun u save some dough and go for Canon EOS7D (Semi Pro And Mag Alloy WITH FULL HD)

Actually quite a bit more than a gimmick.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page15.asp

Sharpness wise and in terms of detail retention, it happily beats more expensive competition.

If u are reading this forum, this is John O Connor, leader of resistant army.

Bring It On :gbounce::gbounce:

Brand war alert!!! :bigeyes:

Pentax K-x is very capable, for your information. And its high ISO performance in retaining detail is very good, better than the D90 (for your info). And sorry to shock you with this info: They use the same 12mp sensor made by Sony! Yup, the same one found in the Sony A500.

There are many areas that the D90 has an edge. But by calling the K-x a gimmick, you just showed how objective, and "well-informed" (read mis-informed) you must be.

BTW I am not a pentax user. I am a Nikon user. And I love my Nikon gear too. But I have to give credit where credit's due.

Last edited: