Pentax K-r review by Dpreview

Just look at the image comparisons.
The Kr still thumps the competition with much better detail retention with low noise at high ISO levels. (D3100, 600D, A33)
Main 'weakness' for it is video.

No need to have shaken confidence :)

thinking of getting either a k-r or k-x

Just look at the image comparisons.
The Kr still thumps the competition with much better detail retention with low noise at high ISO levels. (D3100, 600D, A33)
Main 'weakness' for it is video.

No need to have shaken confidence :)

Seems silly to me to judge a DSLR by its video capabilities. That should be a bonus. I don't even use the video on my K-r.

Seems silly to me to judge a DSLR by its video capabilities. That should be a bonus. I don't even use the video on my K-r.

Ha..ha.

I only every used the video on my K7 twice, both times for testing out only.
Never even bother to try it on my K5.

Take photos already 'bo-eng' (no time), where got time for video.
Esp. the really good ones that needs a whole new ball game of editing.

I guess some folks justify it as another Singaporean 'must have' when having a baby (other than the car and maid):bsmilie: (ie. take video as well as photo of children);
but frankly, that 'standard' of video taking (mine included :embrass:), I personally can do without.
A photo montage with music would do better for me.

Ha..ha.

I only every used the video on my K7 twice, both times for testing out only.
Never even bother to try it on my K5.

Take photos already 'bo-eng' (no time), where got time for video.
Esp. the really good ones that needs a whole new ball game of editing.

I guess some folks justify it as another Singaporean 'must have' when having a baby (other than the car and maid):bsmilie: (ie. take video as well as photo of children);
but frankly, that 'standard' of video taking (mine included :embrass:), I personally can do without.
A photo montage with music would do better for me.

Ya lor, it's different from a phone in some ways.

Next, if Canon slaps GPS capabilities on its cameras, then all cameras will be judged by that standard. People have forgotten to ask themselves the question of whether the feature is needed. I guess in this age where everyone owns a DSLR, DSLRs have started to emulate the consumer P&S... Last time only consumer P&S have video function mar. :)

Ya lor, it's different from a phone in some ways.

Next, if Canon slaps GPS capabilities on its cameras, then all cameras will be judged by that standard. People have forgotten to ask themselves the question of whether the feature is needed. I guess in this age where everyone owns a DSLR, DSLRs have started to emulate the consumer P&S... Last time only consumer P&S have video function mar. :)

tell that to dpreview.

maybe 1 day a DSLR could make phone calls and dpreview will penalized pentax since they failed to have 1.

I think people will only be satisfied when dslr's can also:

- open a wormhole for instantaneous travel to other star systems.
- reverse aging
- prevent weight gain
- predict 4D numbers
- prevent male pattern baldness in men.
- stop terrorism
- wash the car.
- open a direct line to God.
- tell us who really shot JFK.

Yes, this list was somewhat tongue in cheek ;-)

Yes, this list was somewhat tongue in cheek ;-)

Only a tad much..

(Sorry if this is viewed as a side track...)
DPreview article aside, would like to know any hands-on feedback from someone who has used both the K-x & K-r and honestly tell me if there's that much difference besides the High ISO performance, which I understand K-r has benefited from improvements and also a focus indicator + Batt type options?

Reason being, I have a friend who's going to Angkor Wat sometime next month, he's on somewhat of a tight budget and wondering if he should try the K-r or get a new in Box or used K-x, I've demo-ed and let him have a feel/try out my K-x over drinks.

As his friend, I'm curious if he should just get the kit K-r and run with it for awhile. My original suggestion was to get the Dual-kit with the DAL 55-300 (which I also got) and I told & showed him what a good piece of glass the 55-330 is.

So friends, is there a major "real world" gap between the K-x & K-r? Your thoughts much appreciated...

Cheers!

To genecor.
I jumped from Kx to Kr.

The focus indicator is not that impt if you are always/used to focusin on the center.
I still prefer AA batts, but no harm for more options.
But I like the faster AF, bigger screen and the slightly better ergonomics (personal pref, maybe its psychological).

Do take note with a Kr, you need to set WB when shootin under tungsten lightings for better AF.
As for Iso performance, no diff to me.

If it means a Kr or a Kx + more lens, I would choose the latter.
But Kr is more future proof if your fren wish to invest more in the system next time.

Last edited:
I think people will only be satisfied when dslr's can also:

- open a wormhole for instantaneous travel to other star systems.

I'm waiting for this one to materialise. :)

Anyway, back to topic: Because the K-r is Pentax's entry level DSLR, most of those who get this will be beginners or upgrader from advanced P&S models (or bridge cameras) as I used to be, once upon a time. (Again, most, not all.) So the video mode, to them, will be rather important when considering which DSLR to get.

I am also a kx user.
Since there is no focus indicator, I am not confident to use the Auto-5/Auto-11 function
to let camera to choose 1 out of 5 or 11 AF points for me.
So I develop a habit of manually selecting 1 out of the 11 AF points.
Frequently I fix it to the central, since it seems to be the most sensitive one.
I do focus and then recompose - sometimes this is not ideal as the focus may not be accurate any more after I recompose.

If I am getting a new camera now, I will get the latest camera , like Kr or the more advanced k5.

Cheers

The illuminated focus points in the viewfinder makes the additional AF points a lot more useful.

You can work around it using focus recompose but its a lot more natural and accurate to be able to utilise the external focus points directly.

As a side note the focus point arrangement for Pentax cams is simplicity at its best - 9 cross points nicely positioned at the 1/2 and 1/3 marks, right where I need them, plus 2 more for more extreme composition.

Only a tad much..

DPreview article aside, would like to know any hands-on feedback from someone who has used both the K-x & K-r and honestly tell me if there's that much difference besides the High ISO performance, which I understand K-r has benefited from improvements and also a focus indicator + Batt type options?

Reason being, I have a friend who's going to Angkor Wat sometime next month, he's on somewhat of a tight budget and wondering if he should try the K-r or get a new in Box or used K-x, I've demo-ed and let him have a feel/try out my K-x over drinks.

As his friend, I'm curious if he should just get the kit K-r and run with it for awhile. My original suggestion was to get the Dual-kit with the DAL 55-300 (which I also got) and I told & showed him what a good piece of glass the 55-330 is.

So friends, is there a major "real world" gap between the K-x & K-r? Your thoughts much appreciated...

Cheers!

I've used a Kx before, and played with the Kr during the outings.
It really depends on the level of expectation.
Using the Kx, I accepted it for what it is.
No AF indicator, so I used centre and recompose.
Slower AF, so I did not fustrate myself comparing with Kr or K5.
Battery life is shorter using AA, so I always turn off when moving from point to point and expect that 1 day+ battery life was fine.

Ok. The noticable differences of the Kr over the Kx.
1. Much better AF (more decisive; faster)
2. AF point indicators is a plus, but only for shallow DOF work, as using center>recompose with shallow DOF can result in a slight shift in the focus of the subject
3. Better HDR modes

Only a tad much..

Cheers!

i have both...

i prefer the K-r over than K-x (and i believe is of a better stepping stone)

reason being the missing AF points and faster AF.

better screen, better HDR, ISO no diff

that's all i've found so far. haha

Last edited:
i have both...

i prefer the K-r over than K-x (and i believe is of a better stepping stone)

reason being the missing AF points and faster AF.

better screen, better HDR, ISO no diff

that's all i've found so far. haha

Not so particular about the HDR, but in essence you summed it all up. IQ I can't really differentiate in real life photos.

i jumped from kx to kr too
from my previous experience , i went to a 3 days holiday trip with my frens , 1 nikon d90 user and 1 k5 user and i was using kx
although its safe to say that kx Af is vastly improved from k20d k200d etc , it still tend to hunt a bit and juz dint seem to lock the AF in time when the moments was presented .
So to me , i personally jumped from kx to kr mainly becuz of the illuminator , you will not want to miss any moment .
For the indicator , actually u can use the the center spot s the indicator la , if you cant c the outline of the center spot , i bet those scenes r too dark to be taken shot with handheld anyway .