Pentax K-r OR Canon 550D(t2i)

I-R-HAM

Feb 25, 2011
I'm gonna get my 1st DSLR by the end of the year(due to budget constraint) and I'm stuck between the Pentax K-r and the Canon 550D.

Tips on which camera I should get?

You should get the one that has the features you want and feels best in your hands.

We have a sticky called "FAQ: What DSLR to get?". Read it.

I'm gonna get my 1st DSLR by the end of the year(due to budget constraint) and I'm stuck between the Pentax K-r and the Canon 550D.

Tips on which camera I should get?

You are going to get a DSLR due to budget constraint? :dunno:
Maybe you should consider delaying this purchase? Don't stretch your finances unnecessarily.
What is the reason for wanting to get one?

End of the year ? Wait till that time and see what choice(s) are available :)

I sold Kx and now using 550D as you can see from my signature. The pentax is very value for money. U get fast fps, bigger grip, good iso for a lot less money with pentax k-x. K-r is almost similar. i got canon becoz i want 70-200f4 IS lens n 50mm f1.8 at $125. w pentax, the cheapest 50mm is the 50mm f1.4 which is $500+ i think. . Lens is the most imp parts of a camera and u should look at what lens u need in the future and work for it.

I sold Kx and now using 550D as you can see from my signature. The pentax is very value for money. U get fast fps, bigger grip, good iso for a lot less money with pentax k-x. K-r is almost similar. i got canon becoz i want 70-200f4 IS lens n 50mm f1.8 at $125. w pentax, the cheapest 50mm is the 50mm f1.4 which is $500+ i think. . Lens is the most imp parts of a camera and u should look at what lens u need in the future and work for it.

I make a similar switch from KX to 550D. Reason is because of the larger pool of canon users and friends using the same system as me. Make things easier for me as we do share lens once a while. Same reason for the prime also.

Personally both camera are good, just which one u prefer when you hold in your hand.

Then again..end of the year is a long time...new models and price changes might sway u to diff model. Think u start looking slowly and try a bigger pool of cameras (Nikon, Sony etc...) before narrowing down.

Photography is a hobby but many people buy gears like it is a race.

Hope u find one you like.

You are going to get a DSLR due to budget constraint?
Maybe you should consider delaying this purchase? Don't stretch your finances unnecessarily.
What is the reason for wanting to get one?

Found my sisters old PnS and started talking lots of pictures with it. I also have a friend who owns a DSLR and I usually find myself borrowing his DSLR to take pictures myself.

Reason I wanna get a DSLR is because I find joy in snapping pictures. I want to kick it up a notch and upgrade from my sister's point and shoot.

Still a 1st year poly student here so it's just a matter of saving money to get it.

End of the year ? Wait till that time and see what choice(s) are available

Yeah I'll keep my eyes peeled for any new models or price drops but I'll still keep my eye on the K-r/T2i hehe.

for those who complain about pentax not having a cheap 50mm, we have a plenty, albeit manual lenses. Hahaha. I got mine for only $50 and it's serving me very well. Once you get used to manual focus, anything is possible! :D

Anyways, both cameras are good, k-r is definitely cheaper. But you won't know since Canon is releasing 600D soon, and prices for 550D will drop. :)

Found my sisters old PnS and started talking lots of pictures with it. I also have a friend who owns a DSLR and I usually find myself borrowing his DSLR to take pictures myself.

Reason I wanna get a DSLR is because I find joy in snapping pictures. I want to kick it up a notch and upgrade from my sister's point and shoot.

Still a 1st year poly student here so it's just a matter of saving money to get it.

Yeah I'll keep my eyes peeled for any new models or price drops but I'll still keep my eye on the K-r/T2i hehe.

If you are using your sister's PnS and already finding joy in taking photos, then you still haven't found a compelling reason to buy a DSLR :)
If buying one is well within your financial means, then I would say you have no 'barrier' to owning one. Just don't rush out and get one just because you've convinced yourself that you 'need' one to improve your photography.
You'll be amazed how much more $ you'll be compelled to spend on this hobby once you purchase a DSLR :)

If you are using your sister's PnS and already finding joy in taking photos, then you still haven't found a compelling reason to buy a DSLR :)
If buying one is well within your financial means, then I would say you have no 'barrier' to owning one. Just don't rush out and get one just because you've convinced yourself that you 'need' one to improve your photography.
You'll be amazed how much more $ you'll be compelled to spend on this hobby once you purchase a DSLR :)

I've been using that PnS for a year and a half now (if I'm not wrong). I do find it fun to take pictures with that camera but compared to a DSLR, the feeling just beats it out of the water haha! As I said before, whenever my friend brings his DSLR to school, I always end up snagging it and taking a couple of photos and the feeling of pressing the shutter release is just AWESOME!! Another reason I want to get one is picture quality. My sister's PnS is an old casio model, alot of times I find myself kind of bumbed out due to wanting a better image quality.

I just want an upgrade from my puny little PnS, filling up the gap of my interest in photography. And as for finance, I'll just have to work for it. I'm only still a student after all who is well qualified for a part-time job :D

Looks like the BB virus is strong in you :devil:
Don't say that you haven't been warned.
Haha

Work hard, save up and all the best in your DSLR hunt.

I've been using that PnS for a year and a half now (if I'm not wrong). I do find it fun to take pictures with that camera but compared to a DSLR, the feeling just beats it out of the water haha! As I said before, whenever my friend brings his DSLR to school, I always end up snagging it and taking a couple of photos and the feeling of pressing the shutter release is just AWESOME!! Another reason I want to get one is picture quality. My sister's PnS is an old casio model, alot of times I find myself kind of bumbed out due to wanting a better image quality.

I just want an upgrade from my puny little PnS, filling up the gap of my interest in photography. And as for finance, I'll just have to work for it. I'm only still a student after all who is well qualified for a part-time job :D

Want an affordable, good performance setup and willing to learn?
Pentax Kr will fit you nicely. :)
You pay very little for the old MF prime lenses which have excellent quality.

:bsmilie:
i got canon becoz i want 70-200f4 IS lens n 50mm f1.8 at $125. w pentax, the cheapest 50mm is the 50mm f1.4 which is $500+ i think. . Lens is the most imp parts of a camera and u should look at what lens u need in the future and work for it.

there are more than enough lenses in pentax K-mount lah... so strange that you would define the whole system on just 1 factor: affordable 50mm fast prime :confused: 50mm isn't even that good a focal length to use on APS-C... unlike on FF, its a little long.

affordable lenses, i would agree, is compelling. but canon L lenses also not cheap wor...

agree that cost is an impt consideration and u should assess your needs and see which system suits u better.

swing by the price guide section and do some comparisons :) see which system might give u more bang for the buck. don't just think "cheap body" or "cheapest lenses". consider the value proposition.

in my view, its not a hobby for a starving student... i've been there. i make up for lost time now, after i've started working.

for a start, u could save up and consider a 2nd hand LX3 or LX5 to sooth your cravings. they're great cameras and they offer full M mode and RAW shooting so its almost like a DSLR. just no interchangeable lens system, which will greatly reduce the temptation to u :angel:

:bsmilie:

there are more than enough lenses in pentax K-mount lah... so strange that you would define the whole system on just 1 factor: affordable 50mm fast prime :confused: 50mm isn't even that good a focal length to use on APS-C... unlike on FF, its a little long.

affordable lenses, i would agree, is compelling. but canon L lenses also not cheap wor...

its not only affordable 50mm tt make me switch to Canon. i can list many many factors here but its sensitive here. just be happy with yr cam pls. dont bother my suggestion

its not only affordable 50mm tt make me switch to Canon. i can list many many factors here but its sensitive here. just be happy with yr cam pls. dont bother my suggestion

agree :) to each his own. no point starting a "brand war". so pointless. every system has pros and cons.

Canon 550D - cheap lens, maybe (for that particular lens) - IS no. what's the point?

IS is important for alot of people that are new to the DSLR scene... dont because of 1 lens you forgo the entire forest.

Yes, what you have written is true to a certain extent, something to note is that most brands 50mm f/1.4 costs around $500 as well. That additional half stop costs a lot of money, that's a fact.

Both systems have their pros and cons.

Pentax K-r is a very able camera, so is the 550D. There are loads of good pictures taken by either camera in the right hands. Suggest you read up on reviews to see what the pros and cons (DPReview is a good place to start) of each camera are, then go to the shops and use them. Alternatively can join user outings to have a hands-on feel of what using the camera feels like.

Anyways, it's good that you have not just thrown out less well-known brands out of the window. Suggest you look at Nikon, Olympus as well. Alternatively, the micro 4/3 series is also a viable option, depending on your needs when it comes to carrying out photography.