PENTAX K-A LESTER DINE KIRON 105mm F2.8 MACRO 1:1 LENS

Status
Not open for further replies.

felixcat8888

May 8, 2005
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
LesterDine105mm2.8_11.JPG

Anyone knows about this lens? Just curious.

It's the same lens as the Vivitar S1 105mm macro. A highly regarded manual focus macro lens and one of the best macro lenses ever built.

You can find some reviews here.

This lens is very highly acclaimed on pentax forums, commanding prices up to US$400 plus - do a search there and you can see the many many accolades it got.

Do go shoot with it and share the pics!;)

As Desmond said, this is the same as vivitar 105 macro. The price used to go up high about a year ago but has since come down to earth. lol.... in pentaxforum

This lens won't disappoint u. I have the vivitar 105 macro.

marcus

As Desmond said, this is the same as vivitar 105 macro. The price used to go up high about a year ago but has since come down to earth. lol.... in pentaxforum

This lens won't disappoint u. I have the vivitar 105 macro.

marcus

Marcus, how many do you actually have ... man ... you should start looking at the FA 200mm macro to finish off your collection ... :p

Marcus, how many do you actually have ... man ... you should start looking at the FA 200mm macro to finish off your collection ... :p
FA 200 macro still command double the price of A200 macro. Not sure if I need the AF for macro, never got a hold on that lens before. I am quite contented with A200. Optically, very slight difference between the FA and A200 macro, according to the seller who sold me the lens. He still prefers the manual focus for macro cos the focusing is damped.

Total 8 macro lenses I am having now with A200, voigtlander macro, vivitar macro 105 and others. Only macro and no limited lenses. Extension tubes, macro converter, doubler etc...

true... there is no bad macro lens... any lens with the right setup/conditions will yield great results...

I agree with flowerpot, the right set up will do. Extension tubes with 50 mm lnes can do the job too. See this post
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/51505-my-macro-photos.html

Its the set up and we can learn on improving on flash, tripod and other accesories and not so much on the expensive lens. Sure A200 does gives you the edge on distance but other lens can produce as good an image. Lester dine is good enough.

Op, sorry... hijack a little, off track on macro subjects but lester dine is a great lens for sure.

:)
marcus

Oh my god, those shots you link us in are shot with a Tamron 90mm + ext tubes and onbody flash? .... I am psyched up for MACRO! Anyone?

Perhaps Marcus, you should bring your lester dine one out for a shoot? And post some on this thread?

Perhaps Marcus, you should bring your lester dine one out for a shoot? And post some on this thread?

Marcus only got the vivitar one, but it's the same as the lester dine kiron (optically) :)

I've been looking for the following lens for a long time, finally I won one today :cool:

Tokina_AT-X_90mm_1.jpg

Tokina_AT-X_90mm_3.jpg

I guess my A100/2.8 macro got a serious competitor :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Oh my god, those shots you link us in are shot with a Tamron 90mm + ext tubes and onbody flash? .... I am psyched up for MACRO! Anyone?

Need to have flash bracket and those accesories first, maybe macro rail as well. slowly but idea is there already , anytime can do it when own improvise diffuser is made;).

Marcus only got the vivitar one, but it's the same as the lester dine kiron (optically) :)

I've been looking for the following lens for a long time, finally I won one today :cool:

Tokina_AT-X_90mm_1.jpg

Tokina_AT-X_90mm_3.jpg

I guess my A100/2.8 macro got a serious competitor

At last you got this tokina, popularise by Don Allison on bokeh. Not too sure how great but time for you to show us the difference. I tot the old tamron f2.5, 90 mm macro with adapter is the same as this tokina. I am not sure if it is. This tokina looks like it is fully manual with out aperture priority. Congrate anyway. Another macro lovers.

marcus

Last edited:
At last you got this tokina, popularise by Don Allison on bokeh. Not too sure how great but time for you to show us the difference. I tot the old tamron f2.5, 90 mm macro with adapter is the same as this tokina. I am not sure if it is. This tokina looks like it is fully manual with out aperture priority. Congrate anyway. Another macro lovers.

marcus

Thanks Marcus :) Actually this lens is different from the Tamron 90/2.5 (which is also a highly rated lens), but this Tokina is the same as the Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 lens. Yes, it's a full manual lens. It's not Don Allison who allured me to this lens, but some guy from Nikon forum at DPR:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=13056277

You know I've been looking for this lens for a while. Almost bought the Vivitar S1 version on Pentaxforums, but decided to go w/ the original Tokina one instead for collecting purpose ;) I'll sure give it a full run test and see how it go against the Pentax A100/2.8 macro :D

And a quick search would give you something like this one:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=15320425

Thanks Marcus :) Actually this lens is different from the Tamron 90/2.5 (which is also a highly rated lens), but this Tokina is the same as the Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 lens. Yes, it's a full manual lens. It's not Don Allison who allured me to this lens, but some guy from Nikon forum at DPR:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=13056277

You know I've been looking for this lens for a while. Almost bought the Vivitar S1 version on Pentaxforums, but decided to go w/ the original Tokina one instead for collecting purpose ;) I'll sure give it a full run test and see how it go against the Pentax A100/2.8 macro :D

And a quick search would give you something like this one:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=15320425

Nice...:) but nothing the VT125 cannot match...hehe...

Like otc said it's the same lens as the Vivitar S1 105mm and Kiron 105mm, as they were all made by Kiron. I believe I'd posted quite a few shots from the Vivitar 105mm. It's a great lens to have.

I also believe in setups. To me it's no longer about the lens (give me a normal 50mm or any zoom lens, I'll try reverse it or ext it to get result), it's the setup, timing and settings. Many will think ring flash would be ideal, but it may make the shot look "flat". Personal fav, will be flexi twin flash, but never seems to be able to finish the twin flash bracket I'd want to work on:confused:

Just a note if you don't already know. If you wanna take a shot like those in Singapore, you need to go early in morning or when the weather is super cold. Cos those insects can't move yet, as they need to wait for the body to warm up, which explain the dew droplets. Or you can try find a friendly damselfly, as u'll be get VERY close to them. I even pat one on the head b4 with my finger tip:bsmilie:

Just a note if you don't already know. If you wanna take a shot like those in Singapore, you need to go early in morning or when the weather is super cold. Cos those insects can't move yet, as they need to wait for the body to warm up, which explain the dew droplets. Or you can try find a friendly damselfly, as u'll be get VERY close to them. I even pat one on the head b4 with my finger tip:bsmilie:

That has to be really early in Singapore, and probably a very short time frame before it gets hot and sticky again.

Guys, 7am for Macros?! kekeke...

Tokina_AT-X_90mm_1.jpg

I guess my A100/2.8 macro got a serious competitor :bsmilie:

Exquisite condition!

There is one just sold US 3400 BIN and was there yesterday. Today gone and another A200 f4 also gone. BIN was about 17XX USD.

Nice...:) but nothing the VT125 cannot match...hehe...

I agree on VT. Bernard will concur too:bsmilie::bsmilie:

That has to be really early in Singapore, and probably a very short time frame before it gets hot and sticky again.

Guys, 7am for Macros?! kekeke...

When we decide to go I will bring ICE cubes OK, 7 am:bsmilie: Butterfly park sentosa.

By the way, macro rail, 2 ways going at $90/ Sim Lim sq . Still need to improvise a diffuser right? Have not purchase yet.

marcus

There is one just sold US 3400 BIN and was there yesterday. Today gone and another A200 f4 also gone. BIN was about 17XX USD.

I agree on VT. Bernard will concur too:bsmilie::bsmilie:

When we decide to go I will bring ICE cubes OK, 7 am:bsmilie: Butterfly park sentosa.

By the way, macro rail, 2 ways going at $90/ Sim Lim sq . Still need to improvise a diffuser right? Have not purchase yet.

marcus

VT is a really excellent one though quite a dear choice. I think we need those spray bottles with icy water ... and keep spraying all over the shop!

Butterfly park? I on you ... when?

Status
Not open for further replies.