Pentax K-5 WR test

TheFuhrer

Jan 30, 2010
Inspired by this thread, I was not quite satisfied at the quality of my pictures. "It has to have more 'ooomph' in the photos," I thought.

I've always read people discussing of Pentax's WR abilities, but never shown the deliberate abuse (not that I know of anyway). Not many dare (or are foolish) enough to try it out I guess. So here I am here with the pictures of my K-5 being abused. Sounds harsh, ain't it? Well to my K-5, it's just another shower. ;)

Oh, and I have the courage to do this because I've done it before. Heck, if the K-5 could talk, it would tell you that he had been through worst... Like tasting ice cream. :3

Without further ado... Here's the K-5.

ix6xjn.jpg

Ooops. Water poured on the lens barrel. Could it be anymore worse?

15mmg3q.jpg

Yup. Water poured on the camera body.

9rtahf.jpg

The K-5 after a shower.

fn7qf7.jpg

Last edited:
But wait, there's more! How about pouring water at the back of the camera?

2gv900o.jpg

Let's not forget the viewfinder.

2s9oh7a.jpg

How much water have been poured? Well, just look at how much water is flowing down from the K-5 grip and lens hood.

rian12.jpg

The fully drenched K-5.

27ymuki.jpg

I know it doesn't really count since the K-5 wasn't switched on. I should have done that, but the battery's at home in the battery grip. :sweat: Yes, that battery grip is a third-party accessory and I don't think it's really WR like it claims.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to remind ourselves to not be afraid to abuse the camera a little. More so if it's a WR-enabled camera. Note my abuse and know that you are safe when taking photos in the rain (or snow) because my K-5 has been through more.

Oh, I forgot to add that the "exposed" hotshoe does no harm to the camera. Previously I thought that the water might short-circuit the K-5 from the exposed hotshoe. Guess I was wrong.

Last edited:
21 gun salute......

Ha..ha...nice one!

I like how you have that little K5 on the big bro K5 too :D

In fact, I've just got fresh photos for that 'Dare' thread.
As I just walked through the children's spray shower with K5 in hand (all sprayed with water), I could spy with my little eye a parent (with the typical canikon) at the pool try to eye what camera was capable of such a feat. ;)

21 gun salute......

Haha. Thank you... (I suppose)?

Ha..ha...nice one!

I like how you have that little K5 on the big bro K5 too :D

In fact, I've just got fresh photos for that 'Dare' thread.
As I just walked through the children's spray shower with K5 in hand (all sprayed with water), I could spy with my little eye a parent (with the typical canikon) at the pool try to eye what camera was capable of such a feat. ;)

And when they learned it's water-resistant, the next question they will ask is, "can shoot underwater?"

While shooting this, an uncle approached me and gave a horrid look. He said, "you pouring water over your camera!?"

I said yes, and the next thing is asked was "can take photos underwater?" I explained to him it's weather-resistant, not water-proof. "What brand? Pantex?" He chuckled and went on his way.

wow. respect. :bigeyes:

Thumbs up on a local demo in pics. I've had chances to shoot in pools n wet playgrounds in my trusty k7 n 16-50 or 18-135.
Must say I've noticed quite a few curious peeks at our p brand :)
For sure I've not seen any other dslr's in such environments.

That mini pentax (hotshoe cover?) is too cute!

wow. respect. :bigeyes:

:cool:

Thumbs up on a local demo in pics. I've had chances to shoot in pools n wet playgrounds in my trusty k7 n 16-50 or 18-135.
Must say I've noticed quite a few curious peeks at our p brand :)
For sure I've not seen any other dslr's in such environments.

Yeah. Sadly not many would believe when I tell that that my K-5 can do what I claim (its WR abilities). Hence these photos are up on my FB. And since it's Pentax related, I thought it would be nice to post it here too.

That mini pentax (hotshoe cover?) is too cute!

Haha. I bought it online though. There's a thread on this somewhere here..

If camera is switch on and hotshoe exposed, I seriously wonder if it will short circuit.

With camera switch on and hot shoes exposed confirm it won't short circuit! Done that before.
Shoot in heavy down pour with my trusty 16-50. Another time is at beach when wave attack... have to rinse the whole cam with tap water after seawater... no sweat, I trust my equipment!
I more worry about my tripod actually.. sand went in between joints.. dismantle whole tripod to clean.. do look out for it

With camera switch on and hot shoes exposed confirm it won't short circuit! Done that before.
Shoot in heavy down pour with my trusty 16-50. Another time is at beach when wave attack... have to rinse the whole cam with tap water after seawater... no sweat, I trust my equipment!
I more worry about my tripod actually.. sand went in between joints.. dismantle whole tripod to clean.. do look out for it

Second this. I've shot with the hot shoe exposed before too.

Ok, glad to hear hotshoe exposed is fine. :)

Don't test like that wait people jealous how? Wait other players up their game and price and create more marketing on their products how? People will jump and sink our ship you know hahahaha and when we go for outing it is like rioting hahahaha

Use wooden tripod.... It will still have problems with sand but much less, especially if you deploy it to ensure that the joint (which is not enclosed) does not enter the sand. Metal tripods as long as got water go in got chance of sand going in... It takes a lot more to affect joint of wooden tripod from my experience.. Still have gotten it stuck now and then though, but cleaning is so much easier than metal tripod.

Not cheap though... And quite bulky. But well worth the lessened trouble. Plus wood seems to have a lot less problem with corrosion. :)

I won't worry about other brands upping their game.

If they want to up, they up long ago... The big brands probably won't bother because they are banking on other things such as word-of-mouth and aggressive advertising, which works for them for so long. :) That's a sad fact of life.

Actually no big deal. I used to shoot in moderate rain back when I was using my K20D. Me and my K20D both very drenched during the shoot. Pentax WR is really WR.

lemme just add a pic taken by a friend...my K-5 under the rain :)

K-5x3copy.jpg

555762_4009213200163_240638896_n.jpg

a k-5 on a k-5.

k-ception