Pentax K-5 with YongNuo 460-II as wireless flash

WildCard081

Oct 29, 2010
Hi, all.
Need some advice from experts here.

Started playing around with strobing recently. I was testing out this setup:
Pentax K-5 using pop-up flash as trigger in controller mode (not master mode as I do not want the popup flash to contribute to the image) .
YongNuo 460-II in slave S1 mode, mounted on a simple stand.

I put my hand in front of the external flash and use my other hand to aim and shoot. This is what I get:
_IGP9689.jpg

Not exactly what I had in mind. Light source appears to be only from my popup flash, powered down heavily as its in Controller mode.
Mode is Manual, 1/125 and f/4.5 (widest I can go at near max zoom).
I've played around with a few other shots and realized one thing: the external flash is triggering faster than my shutter can open. Or rather, my shutter opens after the flash has triggered.
Tested it out and it proves to be the case:
_IGP9696.jpg

Essentially I aimed my camera at the external flash and shot at it. By right, I should see the light emitting from the flash in the image if the flash is triggered at the time the shutter exposes the sensor. But its pitch black in this shot.

I know the flash works if I use radio triggers as I did a personal shoot using triggers and can see the flash triggering correctly with the shutter.

But using wireless optical master-slave mode is giving me very funny results.

Based on my settings above, can experts here who have played around with YongNuo 460-IIs as optical slaves correct me if I missed out anything?

I can test with another flash but that would take some time.

trigger by the pre flash...

I can buy that.
So what settings should I use on both the camera and external flash?

The scenario I want is:
Subject to be illuminated by external flash while pop-up flash only triggers but does not contribute to the illumination of the subject.

Forgot to mention that I do not want TTL to be used. Just want the popup flash to trigger the external flash but not contribute illumination to the image itself.

u use wireless mode... ? the built in flash is use to control external flash, which means be in master or controller mode, there will be preflash as communication... does YongNuo 460-II support wireless pttl? i dun think so...

try it in normal manual flash mode... u cannot prevent the popup flash not to contribute to the illumination... u can try to block it or deflect it away ur subject...

Set your k-5 in to wireless flash mode,or you may go into menu and set the built-in flash as a wireless controller.

by the way S1 for pure manual flash and S2 for triggering with pTTL? -- as advertised.

Last edited:
Set Yongnuo to S2, set camera flash settings to manual

mine works fine with my friend's canon ttl model from YN, forgot the number, and also my newly acquired YN560.

one weird thing is that when i was shooting macro, i set my tammy 90 to manual aperture with the aperture ring, everything works fine.

but when i changed back to auto aperture in the lens(to make focusing easier as manual aperture is super duper dark in the VF), the YN flash fires, but seems to be out of sync with my shutter, resulting in similar image as shown by threadstarter.

Ok. Did as recommended here. Looks like radio triggers are my only solution. Prolly invest in a basic starting set end of this month.

artworkphoto. trigger plus receiver. $40.

Naw. Looking towards Phottix Strato. Even though labeled "For Canon" but works with Pentax hotshoe for basic triggering.
I'm getting them since a friend of mine already has them and we can share equipments. He already has a set of Strato triggers. Getting them means we can setup more flashes and tandem shooting is much easier without having to pass transmitters around.

Saw TK Foto selling a transmitter and receiver bundle for $89.

artworkphoto. trigger plus receiver. $40.

i second tat. also you can try putting a negative(the very last bit at the end of the roll) in front of the pop up flash and put ur flash in slave mode. good if u want to play it once or twice if you intend to strobe often than just get the radio trigger less hassle.