Pentax K-5 or Nikon D7000 help pls..

filthyblack

May 29, 2011
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
deciding to upgrade from my current, pentax k-r.
i have no idea which would be better.
should i go with my style or by accessories?
more advice are highly welcome too..
Thanks in advance :)

Question is, why you want to switch brands.

What Pentax lenses do you have? How does K5 or Nikon D7000 appeal to you?

In fact, why do you wish to upgrade? These will help you make a decision, or help others to advise you on this matter.

Very close call, both are superb cameras. Go with your style.

i have zoom lens only. no prime lens yet.
i feel restricted with k-r.
i'm looking for more... features
upgrade for weather seal.
more functions.
better colors.

i know of some advantages and disadvantages btwn both bodies.
but i still cant make up my mind.

mainly, i'm looking for one that is tough, Sports + Travel.

Last edited:
K-5 since you are already with Pentax...

K-5 had all that you have mention,

1) More function when compared to K-r
2) weather seal
3) more features
4) better colours

and above that, K-5 also have,

1) Better noise control
2) Better ergonomic

So there.

i have zoom lens only. no prime lens yet.
i feel restricted with k-r.
i'm looking for more... features
upgrade for weather seal.
more functions.
better colors.

i know of some advantages and disadvantages btwn both bodies.
but i still cant make up my mind.

mainly, i'm looking for one that is tough, Sports + Travel.

i'm still trying to understand what pple mean when they say "i feel restricted by my equipment"... i've stopped telling myself that cos i dun want to lie... i just have BBB urges and i like new toys :bsmilie:

IQ wise, both cameras are capable of great images. u have to be REALLY good (like - edutilos~ good :bsmilie: ) to reach the technical limit of a K-R. and even then, he was churning out really nice pix while he was using it.

anyway, we were just discussing how tough pentax bodies are over at the pentax equipment disussion. we've taken old K-X out in the rain and into the sea, i've taken the K-5 out in the snow, pple have taken it fishing and rinsed the saltwater off with a bottle of mineral water... K-5 + WR lenses is very, very reassuring.

with pentax, u also get in-body SR so even legacy lenses benefit from stabilisation.

more functions.
better colors.
Which functions in detail? What exactly do you expect from these more functions? Or is just the itchy feeling of 'to have in case' but you have no clue how and when?
Better colours can be easily achieved in post processing and by observing existing light. If the light is not good then just come back another day. Learn to use the software provided or any other of the many many different software editing programs. Drop this illusion that a better camera will automatically result in better pictures.

Try to think more, if you really need a new cam anot,

Don't waste money

i'm still trying to understand what pple mean when they say "i feel restricted by my equipment"... i've stopped telling myself that cos i dun want to lie... i just have BBB urges and i like new toys :bsmilie:

IQ wise, both cameras are capable of great images. u have to be REALLY good (like - edutilos~ good :bsmilie: ) to reach the technical limit of a K-R. and even then, he was churning out really nice pix while he was using it.

anyway, we were just discussing how tough pentax bodies are over at the pentax equipment disussion. we've taken old K-X out in the rain and into the sea, i've taken the K-5 out in the snow, pple have taken it fishing and rinsed the saltwater off with a bottle of mineral water... K-5 + WR lenses is very, very reassuring.

with pentax, u also get in-body SR so even legacy lenses benefit from stabilisation.

+1 to this.

You really got to think over if its really an equipment limitation.
I shoot with a G3 as well as K5 and have not found it limiting in photo taking.

Colors are very similar since Kr and K5 are both from Pentax. It can also be pp.
Weather Sealing, a typical camera can take light rain and splash. Unless you intend to use in very dusty and wet conditions.

That saying, if you want to get one, get the K5.
Same system as now.
Available weather sealed cheap and good zooms. (WR ones for Nikon are on the expensive lenses only)
still the best DR to date for APS-C.

thank you all for your comments.
i've been considering for a day...
leaning more to k-5.
yes i need that weather thingy. esp i always take pics under the rain by accident.

btw. what weather lens are there for pentax? i'm using normal ones. :(

filthyblack said:
leaning more to k-5.
yes i need that weather thingy. esp i always take pics under the rain by accident.

Got a few.

Cheap WR "kit lens"
DA18-55 WR,
DA50-200 WR,

Macro lens
D-FA100mm macro WR

Superzoom
DA18-135 WR

+ all DA* lenses are WR.

leaning more to k-5.

Not sure how you can take pics under the rain 'by accident'.
Wouldn't it be a conscious decision to stand out there in inclement weather whilst continuing to photograph?

If you're talking about going out to take photos and getting caught by sudden downpour, keeping the camera back in the bag and heading for shelter should be ok. A non-weather-sealed camera should not break down and die.

I recall a sunrise photo outing this year where it started to drizzle after breakfast, and one of the guys rushed off saying "sorry guys, I gotta run as my camera is not weather-sealed", yet our bro dingaroo, with his non-weather-sealed Canon xxxD camera slung around his neck, was totally exposed to the elements whilst seated on his electric scooter. His camera still worked perfectly after that :)

Not sure how you can take pics under the rain 'by accident'.
Wouldn't it be a conscious decision to stand out there in inclement weather whilst continuing to photograph?

If you're talking about going out to take photos and getting caught by sudden downpour, keeping the camera back in the bag and heading for shelter should be ok. A non-weather-sealed camera should not break down and die.

I recall a sunrise photo outing this year where it started to drizzle after breakfast, and one of the guys rushed off saying "sorry guys, I gotta run as my camera is not weather-sealed", yet our bro dingaroo, with his non-weather-sealed Canon xxxD camera slung around his neck, was totally exposed to the elements whilst seated on his electric scooter. His camera still worked perfectly after that :)

i think its more of a peace of mind thing lah... users do pay a premium for it... its obvious (to me at least) that manufacturers do not make cameras for use only on a sunny day.

nevertheless, i am aware that some brands indicate a range of parameters where the camera will work under to cover themselves in the event of warranty claims.

a non WR camera is probably not so fragile that a few drops of rain will cause it to malfunction. but in the event that it does, the warranty may be voided.

i think its more of a peace of mind thing lah... users do pay a premium for it... its obvious (to me at least) that manufacturers do not make cameras for use only on a sunny day.

nevertheless, i am aware that some brands indicate a range of parameters where the camera will work under to cover themselves in the event of warranty claims.

a non WR camera is probably not so fragile that a few drops of rain will cause it to malfunction. but in the event that it does, the warranty may be voided.

:)
Yes yes I'm not disputing that weather sealing has its benefits.
It's just a remark made based on observation of many members treating their cameras as if they were highly fragile and susceptible to water damage from a drizzle.

The warranty is a good point.

:)
Yes yes I'm not disputing that weather sealing has its benefits.
It's just a remark made based on observation of many members treating their cameras as if they were highly fragile and susceptible to water damage from a drizzle.

The warranty is a good point.
Most of the time a drizzle would not render the camera unusable (at least not permanently).

Even when engulfed, if the camera is retrieved and it has been soaked in freshwater and not saltwater, there have been cases recorded where the camera is working fine after that. Of course for the long term, no one has kept track.

Often, even if the camera is weather sealed, the lens is not weather sealed. Even if the lens is weather sealed, there is also limits as to how much humans are willing to expose themselves to wet weather. Even in Clubsnap, you often see the phrase "stood on a rock to prevent getting wet", "my tripod will rust", etc.. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is just an interesting point to note that people demand weatherproofing in their camera even when they are not willing to stand in inclement weather.

That said, as detritus rightly points out, it is probably for peace of mind. Also nothing wrong with that. Although when I moved from the K-r to K-5, the decision did not really factor in the weather proofing as a major point. There are many other things at play, such as extended battery life, general ergonomics, a marginally superior sensor, better viewfinder, etc etc etc.

In any case, based on the recent Canon case, it seems that people are more than satisfied with warranty coverage. Pure unhappiness can be converted to pure satisfaction with a simplistic explanation. I'll leave any reader here to be the judge of whether the explanation is actually satisfactory.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon/1011556-7d-weather-sealed-no-i-dont-think-so.html
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon/1013980-7d-weather-sealing-problem-solved.html

Any weather sealing camera from any brand had known to fail even at light rain and a few splashes of the rain...

Weather Sealing Failure
Weather sealing failed on my new K-5 - PentaxForums.com

However that shouldn't deter anyone from getting a weather sealed camera though, because like what the technician in Canon's service center had mentioned (not his direct words) S**ts happen. But with weather sealing, you might be able to do the following,

Canon EOS 7D DSLR field review.

And so don't ever be discourage that weather sealing of any brands of camera don't work. It might be depending on luck.

Any weather sealing camera from any brand had known to fail even at light rain and a few splashes of the rain...

Weather Sealing Failure
Weather sealing failed on my new K-5 - PentaxForums.com

Well, to be fair, it's always hard to say if the users were being honest about the "light rain", etc.

"Light" is after all debatable... For some people who love right even a torrential rain that leaves the user utterly soaked (as if they had been in a running shower for 5 minutes) could be "light".

And IIRC, most camera brands always caveat by saying that the weather sealing is meant to make the camera WEATHER RESISTANT, not WEATHERPROOF.

Well, to be fair, it's always hard to say if the users were being honest about the "light rain", etc.

"Light" is after all debatable... For some people who love right even a torrential rain that leaves the user utterly soaked (as if they had been in a running shower for 5 minutes) could be "light".

And IIRC, most camera brands always caveat by saying that the weather sealing is meant to make the camera WEATHER RESISTANT, not WEATHERPROOF.

Yes. That might be the same case as the link you posted.

After 1 case in Clubsnap, I have been seeing people using that as something to knock on Canon's camera... That is why, I specifically bring up another two links to say, "It can happen to all cameras."

(PS... and btw... I am not a Canon fanboy or an anti-Pentax, I just happen to own Canon camera and wished to have learned of the Pentax when I started out).

Last edited: