Pentax K-5 firmware v1.02 is unofficially available

sircam

May 21, 2007
Or is it?

This is a HEADS UP thread. Just came across this interesting news a moment ago.

In case some K5 owners come across this piece of info, I'd advise you to read carefully and proceed with caution as its too early to confirm whether its a beta release or a standard release.

I do not think the chances of harming your K5 are very high (I could be wrong), but then again there isn't any information on what this firmware upgrade version really corrects or changes.

I'm personally going to wait for some early beta testers to comment OR for Pentax to make an official announcement... which hopefully will be soon... since its quite evident there is going to be a firmware upgrade version announcement in the near future.

Hopefully this firmware will be the holy grail to correct some of the the bugs that has been pestering K5.

Well I hate to break it to you but some brave souls tested it and discovered it did not fix the autofocus under low/tungsten light issue nor the inconsistent flash exposure issue.

Anyway it has already been taken offline, let's await the official announcement and release before getting any hopes up.

At least we know a firmware upgrade is in the offing... seems more likely it was a beta release for internal usage only... i.e. not for the public. Is there a link perhaps where I could read up more on what these brave souls tested?

Thanks for the above link, Riscal. Interesting comment made by FalconEye in the last paragraph. This is exactly what I am wondering at this moment.

Well, I myself have been waiting for Pentax to issue a firmware upgrade to rectify the misfocus issue as soon as possible that plagues several K5 owners. But I obviously cannot wait for weeks and weeks (without even an official acknowledgment from Pentax either by a personal email reply or a public announcement.)

Seems even the Pentax authorized service centers aren't able to throw any more light on this issue because they themselves are waiting for more communication from Pentax Japan in this regard. My visit there was a total waste of time in this regard. To their credit, they dealt with me professionally (and apologized for the inconvenience for requesting me to bring down my camera,) so I don't blame them even a bit.

Since I use a very fast lens on my K5 most of the time, I do not feel the need to use flash too often, hence am personally not too affected by the inconsistent flash issue. But if I were using flash often, I'd perhaps be irked even more.