Pentax K-5 and KR

Looks like the back of a K100D.
Anyway, specs are expected since everyone is moving in that direction.
I'm more interested in the nity gritty like AF speed, user interface; max sync speed; dynamic range; improved HDR. These probably won't be known until we have a hands on for the cameras.
I do hope Pentax does the same magic to the high ISO as they did for the Kx, which will mean the new cameras will be better in that respect that the competitors.
Pentax needs that 'extra' bit that is different to pull away from the competitors.

New lenses will be welcome too.

At least good to know for now that Pentax is keeping up. :)

Last edited:
Wow... those are some nice specs... but the price a bit steep.
Any leaks on EVIL ?

The K-5 price look really high, hope it is only RRP :( .

However, on the hindsight I will get good resale value for my K-7 :D :D

Last edited:
PENTAX K-5:
- 16 million pixels (SONY new sensor)
- ISO 25600
- 7 frames per sec
- ¥ 139,000 (too high price - $1625 , but it could be $1400 at US market))
- announcement on September 20
- Released in mid-October

PENTAX KR:
- 12 million pixels
- 6 frames per sec
- 10 color of body and 12 color grip, as the combination 120 colours
- 74,800 yen ($875 - but it could be $750 at US market))
- Released in mid-October

Now, who wants my K7? 999 only :devil:

Part of progress in the consumer space. You just gotta develop new products and market them; otherwise, the company will be history. Not sure how much difference from K7. From the spec; not much to warrant a change. Anyway, still so much to learn on the K7.

I am hoping that it retains the same body like the k20d did with the k10d. So that I could upgrade in future with having to buy another battery grip and tripod base plate. Yeah, the K-7 is still more than enough for me atm.

i only wish the KR will include the 1 function that caused the K-X to receive so much criticism - that silly red-dot thing in the VF to show AF point.

some of the criticisms are fair: what's the purpose of having 11 AF points when you don't know and can't tell which one the camera is going to use?

but more importantly, useful or not is beside the point... most k-x users are fine with it and know how to work with it but pentax is losing sales because of popular perception that this makes it "inadequate" :dunno:

Release in mid-October? Hmm...

Hopefully I can test run it at the Pentax showroom at year's end, provided Fengwei hasn't already bought it in. ;p

The specs looks really good ... but until it comes, it's just rumours. And when it comes, can someone test out the long exposure shots? And I am not asking 2mins... just 30 secs will do. ;-)

Last edited:
i only wish the KR will include the 1 function that caused the K-X to receive so much criticism - that silly red-dot thing in the VF to show AF point.

some of the criticisms are fair: what's the purpose of having 11 AF points when you don't know and can't tell which one the camera is going to use?

but more importantly, useful or not is beside the point... most k-x users are fine with it and know how to work with it but pentax is losing sales because of popular perception that this makes it "inadequate" :dunno:

Don't worry, you'd see the red dot in the K-r viewfinder, otherwise it won't be called a K-r ;)

The specs looks really good ... but until it comes, it's just rumours. And when it comes, can someone test out the long exposure shots? And I am not asking 2mins... just 30 secs will do. ;-)

Ability to disable long-exposure noise reduction plsssssss :thumbsup:

:gbounce:
I am hoping that it retains the same body like the k20d did with the k10d. So that I could upgrade in future with having to buy another battery grip and tripod base plate. Yeah, the K-7 is still more than enough for me atm.

tripod base plate is camera body specified one meh? :sticktong

hope the new body can shoot bugs at f32 1/180 sec with a single flash

:gbounce:

tripod base plate is camera body specified one meh? :sticktong

hope the new body can shoot bugs at f32 1/180 sec with a single flash

Even k7 can do F32 at 1/180s. It's not the camera but the lens and flash.

Most flat tripod quick release plates (the base plate here) don't work well when you mount the camera vertically, especially if the lens/camera combo isn't small. A customized plate would be a better solution :)

from a layman's point of view, is this k-7 "successor" a camera with better specs? have read in a few other places that the k5 will be in between the k7 and the k-x, kr disregarded for now.

Even k7 can do F32 at 1/180s. It's not the camera but the lens and flash.

Most flat tripod quick release plates (the base plate here) don't work well when you mount the camera vertically, especially if the lens/camera combo isn't small. A customized plate would be a better solution :)

i cant seems to get the lighting right (either totally dark or or quite dark) when shooting at f32 at 1:1 magnification on my tamron. a bit OT here but can help? i was using the in-built flash and the riva3000 flash. the riva is triggered by its optical slave.

thanks for the info on the vertically mounted problem of tripod plate. i have the same problem but didnt know can customized the plate to solve the problem.

thanks again, bro. you are really a walking campedia. :sweatsm:

i cant seems to get the lighting right (either totally dark or or quite dark) when shooting at f32 at 1:1 magnification on my tamron. a bit OT here but can help? i was using the in-built flash and the riva3000 flash. the riva is triggered by its optical slave.

thanks for the info on the vertically mounted problem of tripod plate. i have the same problem but didnt know can customized the plate to solve the problem.

thanks again, bro. you are really a walking campedia. :sweatsm:

because the riva sb-3000 has a dumb optical slave and trips on the P-TTL pre-flash. if the recharge speed is fast enough it will trip again on the actual flash. however if you are shooting at f/32 and at 1:1 you're probably setting the flash to 1/1 flash power so the flash will dump all its power at the pre-flash but not at the actual exposure, hence the darkness.