Pentax K-5 and KR

i cant seems to get the lighting right (either totally dark or or quite dark) when shooting at f32 at 1:1 magnification on my tamron. a bit OT here but can help? i was using the in-built flash and the riva3000 flash. the riva is triggered by its optical slave.

thanks for the info on the vertically mounted problem of tripod plate. i have the same problem but didnt know can customized the plate to solve the problem.

thanks again, bro. you are really a walking campedia. :sweatsm:

Heihei, I'm flatted ;)

But to be honest, using F32 on your Tamron is wrong. You should be able to get the same DOF at F16 or even F11 while you move just a bit away from 1:1 distance and crop the result a bit so to achieve the same view. Try to use the sweet spots of a lens instead of using its extreme end, at F32 most lenses (for 135mm full frame or APSC) are not performing at their best. And at F32, you'd need a lot flash power to light up the subject.

Look at the MTF chart of the Tamron 90 macro:

mtf.gif

You can see how bad the lens performs at F32 compared with other aperture settings.

because the riva sb-3000 has a dumb optical slave and trips on the P-TTL pre-flash. if the recharge speed is fast enough it will trip again on the actual flash. however if you are shooting at f/32 and at 1:1 you're probably setting the flash to 1/1 flash power so the flash will dump all its power at the pre-flash but not at the actual exposure, hence the darkness.

i set the riva3000 at lowest power 1/16 initially but slowly ramp up to 1/1 but still getting dark photo. didnt realise there is any pre-flash. probably the pre-flash is the culprit. will check again.

thanks darren for the info and analysis.

Heihei, I'm flatted ;)

But to be honest, using F32 on your Tamron is wrong. You should be able to get the same DOF at F16 or even F11 while you move just a bit away from 1:1 distance and crop the result a bit so to achieve the same view. Try to use the sweet spots of a lens instead of using its extreme end, at F32 most lenses (for 135mm full frame or APSC) are not performing at their best. And at F32, you'd need a lot flash power to light up the subject.

Look at the MTF chart of the Tamron 90 macro:

mtf.gif

You can see how bad the lens performs at F32 compared with other aperture settings.

Thanks for the chart and explanation. Will try your suggestion to shoot at f16 instead. You just reinforced your status as a campedia. If in olden China, villagers probably would build a temple in your honour. :sweatsm:

i set the riva3000 at lowest power 1/16 initially but slowly ramp up to 1/1 but still getting dark photo. didnt realise there is any pre-flash. probably the pre-flash is the culprit. will check again.

thanks darren for the info and analysis.

i guess you could try a flash cable so you still get P-TTL with the SB3000 and not have to use the optical slave mode. :)

:gbounce:

tripod base plate is camera body specified one meh? :sticktong

hope the new body can shoot bugs at f32 1/180 sec with a single flash

Yes, for the arca-swiss ones I think. Everytime have to buy a new one for a new model unless they share the same body.

from a layman's point of view, is this k-7 "successor" a camera with better specs? have read in a few other places that the k5 will be in between the k7 and the k-x, kr disregarded for now.
Yes, K-5 is a successor of K-7. It will be the new Pentax flagship camera. Not some in-between...

Are we going off-topic?

Jia lat!
Ppl more interested in technique than new camera.
Pentax going to die liao!

Canikonys always talk gear gear gear, they easily become #1 selling camera brand :bsmilie:

Jia lat!

Canikonys always talk gear gear gear, they easily become #1 selling camera brand :bsmilie:

JK, no lah. i am sure there is still a lot ppl interested in the cam & lenses. they are probably busy working and saving up for the new cam. Hence, slow response here. Give it another 12 hours and i am sure this thread will be top.

actually i just bought my K20D when the K7 arrived. Otherwise i would have switched to the K7. I am still looking forward to the K5. the high ISO and video attracts me.

Jia lat!

:bsmilie:? :hammer:

at F32, diffraction takes place. image likely to be soft. Its time to learn how to stictche or sew :bsmilie:

Ability to disable long-exposure noise reduction plsssssss :thumbsup:

third, fourth, fifth and sixth this.

i also hope that pentax will try to retain the fantastic DR of the k20d.

it went down a smudge in the k7. only reason that's stopping me from switching to that anytime soon. :)

ooh, and k-x price will drop.

can get one to let my koala use.... :devil:

Hope X-mas come early this year;p KR? sounds like some Kawasaki Super bike

Wah wah wah wah wah! Fengwei's truth rumour has become official truth! haha :X

K-r better not come out with any cool cool features, I just bought my k-x HOR, PENTAX!

Wah wah wah wah wah! Fengwei's truth rumour has become official truth! haha :X

K-r better not come out with any cool cool features, I just bought my k-x HOR, PENTAX!
I believe you'll be disappointed. KR as I believe will be a hit!