Pentax K-5 and KR

Just to lighten the mood...

lexuslfalive_lead.jpg

This is is Toyota's Ferrari killer. Two were sold in Singapore for about $1.2m a few months ago. 4.8l V10 with 560hp and 0-100km/h in 3.7s.

In comparison, the Ferrari California is "just" S$780K, so you could save over S$400K buying the Ferrari over the Toyota :bsmilie:

This car not only can kill Ferrari,... Toyota Chief test driver was killed in a crash with a BMW head on. The 2 passengers in the BMW survived...

http://www.gtspirit.com/2010/06/24/toyotas-chief-test-driver-dies-in-lfa-crash/

I'm not a Pentax user, but I've been eying on the developments within the Pentax forums everywhere. The K-r and the K-5 news have been making rounds a lot, but this particular article (on the K-5 rumoured specs) have questioned my loyalty to Canon:

http://thephoblographer.com/2010/09/10/pentax-k-5-looking-like-quite-the-spartan/

In between scrimping for a body that has in-built SR, and an expensive IS lens, I think the force is strong within me (to migrate to a new system mount).

I'm not a Pentax user, but I've been eying on the developments within the Pentax forums everywhere. The K-r and the K-5 news have been making rounds a lot, but this particular article (on the K-5 rumoured specs) have questioned my loyalty to Canon:

http://thephoblographer.com/2010/09/10/pentax-k-5-looking-like-quite-the-spartan/

In between scrimping for a body that has in-built SR, and an expensive IS lens, I think the force is strong within me (to migrate to a new system mount).

Better to have on body than on lenses as these will cost you lots more. Come to the Pentax family. Join our outings and see for yourself.

Better to have on body than on lenses as these will cost you lots more. Come to the Pentax family. Join our outings and see for yourself.

But what's the trade off for IS in the body? and what does the IF in the Pentax's lens stands for ?:dunno:

Samsung just released their new NX100, 20-50mm and 20mm pancake... so where's my PENTAX EVIL now? sigh... :cry:

Last edited:
But what's the trade off for IS in the body? and what does the IF in the Pentax's lens stands for ?:dunno:

IF stands for "Internal Focusing;" it means that the length of the lens does not change even if you change to another focal length, unlike a kit lens which extends when zooming. It is not meant for image stabilization. [/google]

There are no practical differences between in-built stabilization in the camera body, and that on a lens, just the cost prices.

IF stands for "Internal Focusing;" it means that the length of the lens does not change even if you change to another focal length, unlike a kit lens which extends when zooming. It is not meant for image stabilization. [/google]

There are no practical differences between in-built stabilization in the camera body, and that on a lens, just the cost prices.

Thanks, on the info on IF.

Sorry, but I think you've got a bit wrong on the info here. Kindly let me do some amendments. To be frank, I used to be a little confused too. You are right that "IF" is internal focusing but you have kind of mixed up focusing and zooming altogther. IF only mean that the lens barrel does not extend when you focus.

For example, all DA and FA limiteds (fixed focal) will have varying barrel length as you focus. Usually extends as you focus on nearer subjects. FA*24, FA*85, F*300, DA*200, DA*55 (or for the matter of fact, * prime lenses) are IF - their barrel length are always constant. Notice that zooming is irrelevant for prime lenses. Hence, if it is an IF prime lens, you can be assured that the barrel length does not change.

Zooms wise, most are IF but there is no point for IF zooms unless they do not extend as you zoom. The DA50-135 is the only constant-barrel-length zoom lens I know of - i.e. the body length is fixed whether you zoom or focus. I find such designs more appealing then those that extends in length as you zoom.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I think you've got a bit wrong on the info here. Kindly let me do some amendments. To be frank, I used to be a little confused too. You are right that "IF" is internal focusing but you have kind of mixed up focusing and zooming altogther. IF only mean that the lens barrel does not extend when you focus.

For example, all DA and FA limiteds (fixed focal) will have varying barrel length as you focus. Usually extends as you focus on nearer subjects. FA*24, FA*85, F*300, DA*200, DA*55 (or for the matter of fact, * prime lenses) are IF - their barrel length are always constant. Notice that zooming is irrelevant for prime lenses. Hence, if it is an IF prime lens, you can be assured that the barrel length does not change.

Zooms wise, most are IF but there is no point for IF zooms unless they do not extend as you zoom. The DA50-135 is the only constant-barrel-length zoom lens I know of - i.e. the body length is fixed whether you zoom or focus. I find such designs more appealing then those that extends in length as you zoom.

Thanks for clarifying, I was unable to search for the right words to describe IF previously.

the Canon 70-200/4L is IF and don't change length as it zooms.. maybe / probably same for the other Canon L lenses.

the Canon macros are also internal-focus (unlike the extends-the-heck-out-of-it Pentax macros). which i suspect is also one reason for the relatively slow focusing on the Pentaxes.