Pentax K-01 vs Pentax K-30

KelvinChooi

Nov 3, 2012
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi guys, I am using K-01, am thinking to change to K-30. Would like to ask is there any main difference between both of them except K-30 weather sealed, viewfinder and user interface design?

KelvinChooi said:
Hi guys, I am using K-01, am thinking to change to K-30. Would like to ask is there any main difference between both of them except K-30 weather sealed, viewfinder and user interface design?

Offhand I'd say for some the handling because of use of VF as opposed to compulsory use of LCD matters. Being able to position the camera that way is very different from holding it at a distance away. You would be able to handhold more comfortably. You can also do things marginally faster with practice.

There might be some other technical differences but for most users it probably won't matter. :)

I am k01 user upgrade from kx, and I didnt miss the viewfinder much,

As I mainly use manual focus lens, I find k01 with lcd finder is better to assit focusing hen squeeze eye on optical viewfinder.

K01 is stylish, and with better pricing .

Of course, k30 has all what k01 has, it has better handling with big lens like 70-200 f2.8, but k30 costs more, not as cool as k01

Just to ask more, So how do you feel about the K-01? What lenses do you use with K01? What's your main uses?

I own both. Both are very different.
K01 strength
1. Better Video, i think.
2. Live view - mirror less so if you compare K30 LV with it. It wins.
3. Smaller with the DA40XS or DA40.
4. Boxy camera. - JK had demonstrated it can be stand on it self with a small lens. hee

K30 Strength
1. ViewFinder - Faster af i felt compare to K01.
2. FPS is better than K01 especially raw files.
3. Weather Sealed - But don't think I would think it as much importance. I am not water proof, will hide when rain :X 2. I don't have much Weather sealed lens
4. User interface kinda of similar but K30 has more controls buttons for quicker access. 2 Dial mode.

So depends on your need most impt. :) Buy the K30 to compliment the K01. :devil:

I am having da 35mm f2.4, da 15mm ltd, da 18-135mm WR. mainly use for travel, street and event photography. Reason behind wanted to change to k30 cause feel that the lcd a bit hard to show the focus area compare to using a viewfinder. And also feel that the AF speed is slower compare to basic dslr.

I am having da 35mm f2.4, da 15mm ltd, da 18-135mm WR. mainly use for travel, street and event photography. Reason behind wanted to change to k30 cause feel that the lcd a bit hard to show the focus area compare to using a viewfinder. And also feel that the AF speed is slower compare to basic dslr.

If you like to use the camera for travel and events, I think K30 would suit you better w/ its WR and quicker AF, you won't miss K01 much other than its style (if that's something you prefer).

Randy has made a nice summary of the key differences.

The K30 is certainly the better camera at faster handling.
It also has focus peaking and fast CDAF like the K01.

What it lags to the K01 is shutter press to shutter release time in LV, which is slower as the shutter mechanism for a DSLR has to come down and then up again. The K01 being w/o the mirror mechanism, is faster in this aspect. (Note : its in LV only. In PDAF mode, this is not an issue)

Sensor wise, they are generally the same.
If you need faster RAW than 1fps, then again, K30 is better.

By your usage, I'd suggest waiting for the next camera unless you can sell off your K01 at an acceptable price to you.
Looks like you don't have any MF lens anyway, so peaking is less important as a feature for you (for now).
Better to save up for the next camera which will incorporate the best of both K5IIs and K30.

K30 is for more serious photographers since its loaded with much more featured than k01

Yup yup. So many rumours of a new cameras coming up. :)

APDS posted on their Facebook links to photorumours abt upcoming new Pentax camera. For a official distributor to do that somehow indicate, to me, something new is coming.

APDS posted on their Facebook links to photorumours abt upcoming new Pentax camera. For a official distributor to do that somehow indicate, to me, something new is coming.

I had the same thot but thinking again, i'll celebrate when i see the official pentax announcements :bsmilie:

whats the point of jumping at every shadow :dunno: may not even be something i'll buy.

K-30 is so appeal to me because of faster handling and slights faster AF. But if I were to change to K-30 why not I just top up a bit to K-5? Hahaha mental struggle. Anyway, I think I better wait for the new camera announcement and see how. Thanks all for the comment and advice! ^^