Pentax K-01 listed as discontinued one year after announcement

waiting op do promotion, i get 2 more units for keep :cool:

I think it has done its job near the end of its 1yr lifecycle.
It became so cheap in the last few months that more ppl ended up with one.
If not they would have just got a Canikony entry level.

More importantly, it still take good quality photos the same if not a bit better of the many cameras that use the same Sony 16mp Exmor sensor (ie. weaker AA filter; Pentax tweaking to have very fine noise).

I'm still thinking of that 3-4 K01 pano camera. Maybe if I can find them at about $300-350 each, I'd give it a go someday...

Last edited:
I think it has done its job near the end of its 1yr lifecycle.
It became so cheap in the last few months that more ppl ended up with one.
If not they would have just got a Canikony entry level.

More importantly, it still take good quality photos the same if not a bit better of the many cameras that use the same Sony 16mp Exmor sensor (ie. weaker AA filter; Pentax tweaking to have very fine noise).

I'm still thinking of that 3-4 K01 pano camera. Maybe if I can find them at about $300-350 each, I'd give it a go someday...

just do a k-01 outing, I can put my k-01 for use.

by the way, I have just used my K-01 for my friend's wedding, the color comes out quite good, and they like it.

I mainly use the Pentax M 35-70 f2.8-3.5, with the LCD finder, it is like Medium Format electronic view finder. (plus it has 8x times magnification dial in, which optical viewfinder cant do.)

Last edited:
Let's hope Pentax will work on another great Mirrorless camera.. :)

They Should NOT doing this to customer ...

Pentax camera value drop after 1 year ... because of discontinued .... it happen to K7, KX, K5, KR and etc ...

Does it mean that every year we NEED to upgrade ...

Pentax camera value drop after 1 year ... because of discontinued .... it happen to K7, KX, K5, KR and etc ...

as you see, all products drops, my friend bought nikon D700 at 3000, now he sold it at 1700, drop 1300 after 2 year;
people buy K5 at 1200, now sell at 600 sgd, drop 600 after 2 year;
I buy Kx at 400, sold at 300 sgd, drop 100 after 2 year;

so Pentax is best value buy, u lose less money with pentax

LiverpoolMadman said:

if no issues with the camera, can use at least 3 to 5 years... the latest gadgets won't bring significant improvement

i think the main reason why pentax gear is perceived as not being "hold its value" is not cos aps-c bodies are discontinued and replaced with newer models every year. it is because some users, in their eagerness to upgrade, are willing to lelong their old camera bodies and throw money away. this is also linked to the fact that the pentax user community is smaller (than say, C or N) and there is a smaller market for used gear. ;)

the announcement of newer models is always followed by a massive spike in buy/sell and as each seller "benchmarks" against each other, the prices get lower and lower... smart buyers also take the opportunity to low-ball and some do get away with it. at the end of the day, its willing buyer, willing seller. :dunno:

as an average use,. i buy camera to use and play, not to invest. so the 2nd hand price of gear is simply irrelevant as long as i'm still using it and its getting the job done for me.:)

so to answer your last question, NO, we absolutely DO NOT NEED to upgrade every year, esp if your gear is still functioning well.

Just to highlight, the large companies always push out cameras especially those at the consumer end like nobody's business.

Just because a product is discontinued doesn't mean you upgrade. You should focus on whether the gear serves your needs rather than the residual value or what is the latest technology (as not everyone needs it). You still see old models of cars on the road , right?

A year ago it's sell @ around 900 to 1100 .... because discontinued it drop to 299 ...

And the customer who plan to sell it as a 2nd hand ... now have to keep it ...

Lucky I don't buy K-01 ... in the 1st place ...

A year ago it's sell @ around 900 to 1100 .... because discontinued it drop to 299 ...

The moment you buy any electronic goods, the value drops significantly. I honestly think that CS B&S is an artificially propped up market because there are too many people willing to pay good money for second-hand Canikon goods in Singapore. You don't see this happening overseas for sure. At least not in London.

Price in BNS is largely determined by the user base (size and mentality)

So its only right that a camera holds RRP as what it was 4yrs ago?
Ex. D90 still has RRP about $1600 in IT shows here.
Fair to consumers?
My friend bought his 2yrs ago (its was already 1+yrs old by then) for $1600, I childed him for it and D7K came out within 2wks of his purchase; the last IT show in 2012, still about $1600.

I got G3 (~$800) within 2mths of release, 10mths later, ppl expect it to be $350.

So it does not only happen to Pentax.
Also don't believe too much just base on BnS quoted price by some sellers.
Some can ask for selling price for their camera/lens that is more expensive than current street price.
These generally don't sell (unless lucky to get desperate or poorly informed buyer)

There are people willing to dump their stuff for really low price on any brand if you look around long enough too.

shucks..i got it on the first day it came out...now become so cheap..how..cannot sell leh..i still got my k-x...now value even worse..maybe sell both now..cant even get a 2nd hand k5...

maybe i should just worry less and go out and shoot more..after all..i should be buying my cam to take pics..not to store them in dry cabinet and wait for their value to increase...anyway from what i heard..seems like k-01 performance wun go down because its discontinued...seems like it doesnt suffer from an inferior complexity because k5iis come out..i will test out and tell u if the k-01 current performance decrease compared to it first come out..: )

I hope no one here thinks that buying a camera is an investment if you just take hobbyist photographs with it without any intention of generating revenue from your hobby. Other than Leica which is a niche product, I don't think any other brands will see steady value holding beyond 1 year.

shucks..i got it on the first day it came out...now become so cheap..how..cannot sell leh..i still got my k-x...now value even worse..maybe sell both now..cant even get a 2nd hand k5...

maybe i should just worry less and go out and shoot more..after all..i should be buying my cam to take pics..not to store them in dry cabinet and wait for their value to increase...anyway from what i heard..seems like k-01 performance wun go down because its discontinued...seems like it doesnt suffer from an inferior complexity because k5iis come out..i will test out and tell u if the k-01 current performance decrease compared to it first come out..: )

sorry to hear that, I always buy product at end of cycle, hope Pentax full frame come out, I will buy it one year later as well.