Pentax K-01 listed as discontinued one year after announcement

I hope no one here thinks that buying a camera is an investment if you just take hobbyist photographs with it without any intention of generating revenue from your hobby. Other than Leica which is a niche product, I don't think any other brands will see steady value holding beyond 1 year.

i got my 1st cam as an investment to know more xmm...something like this mtv (but without the sad ending)

[video=youtube;zeUIA0uueqs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeUIA0uueqs[/video]

however..so far i never succeeded yet...i did get a pic of a cute korean ger before..but i guess she never watch the mtv b4..maybe too young le :p

7661876022_442fc0a345_c.jpg

Hehee....

The era now is different from, sorry for being a bit direct, the one that some of you guys here have been through.
Your era, items, in this context, electronics, were meant to last.

"My" era now is that technology moves so blazing fast, things are no longer meant to last. Just look away from camera.. Look at tablets, phones, computers! Friggin hell.. the next "upgrade" is on average 5-6 months apart..
About time that the camera/dslr/PnS/m43/whatever-you-wanna-call-it field will go through the same thing.

Hey, think about it, 645D3 or K-whatever with RETINA DISPLAY... And 3G, with FB built-in, and whatever-else nonsense they wanna put in.
WoAahhHHhh~~

At the end of the day, buy what you need, and then shoot la... Nowadays where got investment one? It has been slowly been drilled here, only thing that you can invest in is, underwear..
Geddit? *wink wink*

I guess any camera can be considered an investment if you used it to get good pictures... isn't that what it's made for?

旧的不去,新的不来....... just wait for th new K something something to appear...

I guess any camera can be considered an investment if you used it to get good pictures... isn't that what it's made for?

a friend of mine once told me: the fastest way to get money from photography is to sell your equipment :bsmilie:

mind you - "get", not "earn" ;p cos high chance will not earn profit one...

so rather than worry abt "losing money", i just treat it as the cost of pursuing the hobby.

its cheaper than going drinking or whoring.

LiverpoolMadman said:
A year ago it's sell @ around 900 to 1100 .... because discontinued it drop to 299 ...

And the customer who plan to sell it as a 2nd hand ... now have to keep it ...

Lucky I don't buy K-01 ... in the 1st place ...

It's $299 in S'pore now?

a friend of mine once told me: the fastest way to get money from photography is to sell your equipment :bsmilie:

mind you - "get", not "earn" ;p cos high chance will not earn profit one...

so rather than worry abt "losing money", i just treat it as the cost of pursuing the hobby.

its cheaper than going drinking or whoring.

And drinking and whoring is pay 1 time, shiok 1 time..... photography is pay 1 time shiok for life or till the camera left you.... ;)... so ya.... much cheaper...

i got my 1st cam as an investment to know more xmm...something like this mtv (but without the sad ending)

[video=youtube;zeUIA0uueqs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeUIA0uueqs[/video]

cute xmm that work in salon? i think you need to do street shooting near jalan besar area :bsmilie:

And drinking and whoring is pay 1 time, shiok 1 time..... photography is pay 1 time shiok for life or till the camera left you.... ;)... so ya.... much cheaper...

No lah. Each time buy new gear also got minor kick la :bsmilie:

as you see, all products drops, my friend bought nikon D700 at 3000, now he sold it at 1700, drop 1300 after 2 year;
people buy K5 at 1200, now sell at 600 sgd, drop 600 after 2 year;
I buy Kx at 400, sold at 300 sgd, drop 100 after 2 year;

so Pentax is best value buy, u lose less money with pentax

But D7000 Discontinued ( rumor ) because they just launch D7100 ... in business term we understand that they need drop the price because to clear the stock .. but Pentax K-01 discontinued because of what ... is there K-02 ? what is the reason ... only they know ...

I hope no one here thinks that buying a camera is an investment if you just take hobbyist photographs with it without any intention of generating revenue from your hobby. Other than Leica which is a niche product, I don't think any other brands will see steady value holding beyond 1 year.

Leica is completely different "class" ....

shucks..i got it on the first day it came out...now become so cheap..how..cannot sell leh..i still got my k-x...now value even worse..maybe sell both now..cant even get a 2nd hand k5...

maybe i should just worry less and go out and shoot more..after all..i should be buying my cam to take pics..not to store them in dry cabinet and wait for their value to increase...anyway from what i heard..seems like k-01 performance wun go down because its discontinued...seems like it doesnt suffer from an inferior complexity because k5iis come out..i will test out and tell u if the k-01 current performance decrease compared to it first come out..: )

Sorry to hear that ...

Thank you for yr understanding where I came from ...

"now value even worse..maybe sell both now..cant even get a 2nd hand k5..." >> that's what I saying ... when the value drop .. all models before that model will drop even further .... unless it's a "collector item" like Leica but K-01 NOT even close to that ..

leica lens is different class, but leica digital rangefinder still follow the drop rules,

Leica M9 is near 9000 sgd at launch, now 2nd hand is around 5000 sgd, drop 4000 sgd after 2 years.

while Leica film rangefinder hold the value very well, so does those legend takumar lens.

Even Leica Digital bodies doesn't really hold its value ...

K-01's much a 1-off. I think most of the Pentax bodies don't go discontinued this fast. I remembered the k10d-k20d-k7-k5 is usually 1.5 years apart, and they don't discontinue until much later.

Just focus on making pictures!

hjbyeo said:
Even Leica Digital bodies doesn't really hold its value ...

K-01's much a 1-off. I think most of the Pentax bodies don't go discontinued this fast. I remembered the k10d-k20d-k7-k5 is usually 1.5 years apart, and they don't discontinue until much later.

Just focus on making pictures!

The Q did. :)

LiverpoolMadman said:
But D7000 Discontinued ( rumor ) because they just launch D7100 ... in business term we understand that they need drop the price because to clear the stock .. but Pentax K-01 discontinued because of what ... is there K-02 ? what is the reason ... only they know ...

IMHO, K-01 was an "experiment".. ;)

A simple body just to test out Pentax's first foray into focus peaking, that's all.
Coz right after that, Q came out followed by K30, each having that feature.

I hope I don't get bash here but MY prediction is, K5ii/S is more or less the same thing; new AF system but still incorporating the old K5 processor, therefore denying Focus Peaking.

Whereas K30 has the new processor, allowing Focus Peaking and slightly improved AF, perhaps due to better hardware, latest processor but not the newer AF system used in the K5ii/S.

Macam neither here nor there..

Thus, I'm looking at the possibility that the new rumored K3/S will be everything into 1.. Think K30+K5ii/S..

If so, then the rumored K3/S would be the real Pentax flagship, along with K30 as "entry-level", and PERHAPS K5ii/S would be the bridge between them. ;)

Ultimately, just grab whatever that suits your needs and budget currently and be happy.. Technology nowadays advance so fast. Where got such thing as investment in electronics one...?

Sekali the FF have Retina Display + FB + 4G data support how? Haha!

Last edited:

based on the interviews posted on PF, i think the reason is clear: it didn't sell well :( plans for lenses with the protruding rear lens element that was supposed to make use of the space in the k-01 mount was cancelled and its likely that they dropped the idea for a k-02 - its a one-off product. how to make a product that is not selling?

more objective users liked its design, its image quality and the fact that it uses k-mount, thus negating the need to buy a new range of lenses but it also drew a lot of flak from closed-minded users that felt that it looked like a toy, was big and heavy, had no EVF and didnt fit their narrow understanding of what a camera "should" be or "should" look like.:dunno:

i never bought one cos i felt that it was too big to be a 2nd body - it would take up too much space in my bag and it did not fit my needs.

for pple who bought it, i'm sure they're using it to take nice pictures every time they bring it out and that shouldn't change just because its a discontinued model right? :)

detritus said:
for pple who bought it, i'm sure they're using it to take nice pictures every time they bring it out and that shouldn't change just because its a discontinued model right? :)

Wrong... Pentaxians, Thou shall succumb to BBA on top of LBA! :p
Kidding! But yea.. I'm still using my Kr. When the time comes to "discontinue" it, I'll just throw it in the dustbin.. LoL!

detritus said:
more objective users liked its design, its image quality and the fact that it uses k-mount, thus negating the need to buy a new range of lenses but it also drew a lot of flak from closed-minded users that felt that it looked like a toy, was big and heavy, had no EVF and didnt fit their narrow understanding of what a camera "should" be or "should" look like.:dunno:

THIS is what these people are thinking of when camera comes to mind I guess.. LoL!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/27/everything-you-need-to-know-about-google-glass

Last edited: