Pentax @ IT Show 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
No international warranty for DSLR.:(
So, maybe wait for a few months for the price drop on 20d, or sell the Pentax 10D and lenses get the Nikon D300.

Are you sure? That is not the case for Pentax.
Pentax bodies have international warranty, but you need the agent to issue it as it is not issued by the retailer.

Maybe I have been spoilt by Pentax lenses. :bsmilie:
But still a check shows that a Nikkor 300 2.8 is about US$4000+ which is about S$6000+. The Sony's is almost double the price! Also I think a 70-200 f2.8 is generally about $2000+?

Never again shall anyone complaint that the DA limited is expensive! ;)

nikon 300

not really. the singapore price is close to 10k for the lens. and sony has always charge a premium for their stuff. look at the tv ... :bsmilie:

was there to try out the K20D, cannot resist and wait till weekend...play for a few minutes and take some shots, i too anxious i set the raw to png...stupid me cannot view now, lucky still got jpeg :bsmilie:... AF is better than K10D definitely and under indoor condition its very good...the iso performance is also very good... Set the expanded dynamic range on off and shoot like no difference leh... at least the highlights is not blown and the metering is not fooled...quite accurate i would say...

was there 20mins b4 closing...so the booth not many ppl...but i might say finding the booth quite a challenge... my wife say huh so small ah...:bsmilie:

anyway din play with it too long as i rushing to get home...might have more time to play with it if i dun spend time looking at the sony models...:bsmilie: they are worth a visit other than the K20D ;)

was there to try out the K20D, cannot resist and wait till weekend...play for a few minutes and take some shots, i too anxious i set the raw to png...stupid me cannot view now, lucky still got jpeg :bsmilie:... AF is better than K10D definitely and under indoor condition its very good...the iso performance is also very good... Set the expanded dynamic range on off and shoot like no difference leh... at least the highlights is not blown and the metering is not fooled...quite accurate i would say...

was there 20mins b4 closing...so the booth not many ppl...but i might say finding the booth quite a challenge... my wife say huh so small ah...:bsmilie:

anyway din play with it too long as i rushing to get home...might have more time to play with it if i dun spend time looking at the sony models...:bsmilie: they are worth a visit other than the K20D ;)

The dynamic range can only really see when you use a good LCD monitor... I can literally see the difference between my IPS panel and my brother's TN panel. It's not a very big difference, but at least it works.

nikon 300

not really. the singapore price is close to 10k for the lens. and sony has always charge a premium for their stuff. look at the tv ... :bsmilie:

I think that is the list price..you have to discount off 20% or so I think, can't remember.

Sony A350 body looks like a good deal at $1199.QUOTE]

14MP CCD sensor. Wonder what the noise level is like. :think:
And if you complain about K10D's 3fps, you are not going to like the 2.5fps on the A350.

it iso 1600 is no worse than the k10D at iso 1600

During the first time before K100D was out in the market... I was thrilled to know the Comex was coming... I eventually went to get my K100D .. The k100d went home with me, but the feeling and joy of getting my first SLR.. was a gloomy one... you know what ... actually when I came back .. I felt like writing up a clupsnap warning to buyers of pentax ...this feelin lingers until today ... the disscussion making me recalling and blowed up.

This is the story;

I went straight to find Pentax booth... I was joyed to discoverd k100d was there ...they out two cameras ...on the same counter IsDL2 and K100D ...I went to talk with the sales guy my hand was holding the k100d ..but he was explaining the function of the K100D shake reduction..then I tried to feel both... I was holding the k100d and told him I want this ..after some discussion about the camera.

He leaded me to the cashier, the guy at the casheir seem to be the mrg of the event brought the camera out and with box open and said this is a new camera ...and I got my free grifts as promoted in the brochures and I happier get along with the process of the purchase ..and left the booth after I was shocked to see along the way that the camera box indicated 1stDL2 not K1OOD ..my mood was spoiled before I step out of the Comex ... I rushed back to the Pentax sales counter ..and told the sales guy what I want was a K100D and you gave me a 1STDL2, and he reverted by telling me that he was promoting 1STDL2 ... and that what he was trying to tell me how good the 1Dll2 was ... I told him I had informed that what I need was a shake reduction and he returned to his sales boot..and I went straight to the cashier about the mistakes, then they said it's 100dollar more the printer is not part of the promotion for K100D .. I said neverminded....the guy asked me to returned the whole plastic bag to him ...I asked him why .. since you only gave me the wrong body, you just need to exchanged the body.. and he replied was I repacked everything back for you..

They robbed me in bright daylight..he passed the plastic to the sales girls beside and asked her to repackage my purchased with closed curtiained ...and he even took back the free grift of an extra SD card that initially was given to me..when i discovered this in front of him.. and show him my dissatifaction .. he then put his hand in posture to claim me down and returned me the SD Cards.. changed the promotional grift to a lower sets than earlier I had purchased ..becuase it was at least 50% lighter than the earlier bag...;(

I feeled cheated by pentax..the very first day I bought a Pentax SLR ....DON'T BUY THING ALONE ... THESE SELLER HAE NO QUALMS ABOUT TAKING YOU FOR A RIDE EVEN FOR A EVENT LIKE COMEX ... they don't know that consumer had done researched on what they already want..

If I ever comes across this type of situation I would want them to be crucified ...I had enough of bullied by sales staffs.

I have asked a couple of times with the tech support guys in Shriro why the company had chosen to go with some of these guys who doesn't seem to know how to present Pentax in the best possible light. And I told them at least 3 times in seperate visit consecutively... But i guess it's not their roles per se.

During the first time before K100D was out in the market... I was thrilled to know the Comex was coming... I eventually went to get my K100D .. The k100d went home with me, but the feeling and joy of getting my first SLR.. was a gloomy one... you know what ... actually when I came back .. I felt like writing up a clupsnap warning to buyers of pentax ...this feelin lingers until today ... the disscussion making me recalling and blowed up.

This is the story;

I went straight to find Pentax booth... I was joyed to discoverd k100d was there ...they out two cameras ...on the same counter IsDL2 and K100D ...I went to talk with the sales guy my hand was holding the k100d ..but he was explaining the function of the K100D shake reduction..then I tried to feel both... I was holding the k100d and told him I want this ..after some discussion about the camera.

He leaded me to the cashier, the guy at the casheir seem to be the mrg of the event brought the camera out and with box open and said this is a new camera ...and I got my free grifts as promoted in the brochures and I happier get along with the process of the purchase ..and left the booth after I was shocked to see along the way that the camera box indicated 1stDL2 not K1OOD ..my mood was spoiled before I step out of the Comex ... I rushed back to the Pentax sales counter ..and told the sales guy what I want was a K100D and you gave me a 1STDL2, and he reverted by telling me that he was promoting 1STDL2 ... and that what he was trying to tell me how good the 1Dll2 was ... I told him I had informed that what I need was a shake reduction and he returned to his sales boot..and I went straight to the cashier about the mistakes, then they said it's 100dollar more the printer is not part of the promotion for K100D .. I said neverminded....the guy asked me to returned the whole plastic bag to him ...I asked him why .. since you only gave me the wrong body, you just need to exchanged the body.. and he replied was I repacked everything back for you..

They robbed me in bright daylight..he passed the plastic to the sales girls beside and asked her to repackage my purchased with closed curtiained ...and he even took back the free grift of an extra SD card that initially was given to me..when i discovered this in front of him.. and show him my dissatifaction .. he then put his hand in posture to claim me down and returned me the SD Cards.. changed the promotional grift to a lower sets than earlier I had purchased ..becuase it was at least 50% lighter than the earlier bag...;(

I feeled cheated by pentax..the very first day I bought a Pentax SLR ....DON'T BUY THING ALONE ... THESE SELLER HAE NO QUALMS ABOUT TAKING YOU FOR A RIDE EVEN FOR A EVENT LIKE COMEX ... they don't know that consumer had done researched on what they already want..

If I ever comes across this type of situation I would want them to be crucified ...I had enough of bullied by sales staffs.

sorry to hear bout your experience with pentax
My 1st dslr was a ist DL and i bought it at a IT show too.Dun really remember which 1
but it was the 1 with the pentax models show
Luckily i never encountered anything like tat:sweat:

This is the story;

This is the story;

buy from reputable shops can liao...cheaper and better service...these shows are like dat...anyway when i was there playing with the K20D, i dun bother about them...i just take, put my SD card inside without even asking them and start shooting...take out and leave...they not happy i dun care as long as im happy :bsmilie:

buy from reputable shops can liao...cheaper and better service...these shows are like dat...anyway when i was there playing with the K20D, i dun bother about them...i just take, put my SD card inside without even asking them and start shooting...take out and leave...they not happy i dun care as long as im happy :bsmilie:

thats the way man!

Hahaha... IT show is like a show for us to touch and feel the products. Actual purchase is only done @ last min or even other places... :)

P3ntx
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Mine was the complete opposite. When the K100D was first introduced at the show, I went straight to their booth and before they can even "convince" me to buy the camera, I bought it! Then I realised I got lesser gifts than those who bought the K10D (an extra printer and bigger SD card). I cho-cho them to give me the same gifts arguing that they will probably give the photo printer on the last day offer anyway, so why not reward a loyal Pentax customer on the first day? Mind you, this is when I have already PAID for the camera. The guy says he will check with the manager (a lady). I run my routine to her once more and she agreed! :)...wooweee...the printer at least help me take back a little of the $1299 I paid for the camera...:( Luckily it has been a good camera :thumbsup:

I was rather shocked by Pentax prices when I was at the show last year.

The general rule is: NEVER NEVER NEVER buy a camera or lens at these IT shows. You get some goodies but the prices of the items are higher as well. IOW, you've paid for those so-called freebies. It's always better get them in a proper store.

As for Sony, they always enjoy pricing themselves OUT of the market.

i would like to know hows the offer on the K100D Super? compared to outside shops? i would want to buy it by this weekend, coz my budget really low and juz want a entry-level DSLR. so it was either the Nikon D40 or this. but the Pentax has so much more features...

Judging from all those sample shots and reviews from all makes of cameras, I think this is a common thing to them! BTW, I was there this afternoon to meet Alanswan as well as to check out their booth...almost missed it as there is no "Pentax" balloon or model. They seem to be pushing the P&S instead and even the much anticipated K20D is lying almost hidden in the glass cabinet. Took a few shots. The shutter was quick and smooth and the camera and 200mm lens was well balanced too.

Off topic : I was at the Sony and can't help but notice how nice their button layout is. the ISO and WB buttons were easily assessible directly. I also noticed the WB was spot on. For objects taken under their orange lighting, it came out nicely. I was not too impressed with the lenses prices though....:bigeyes:. If Pentax can add an ISO and WB button too, that will be a nice touch.:)

I have asked a couple of times with the tech support guys in Shriro why the company had chosen to go with some of these guys who doesn't seem to know how to present Pentax in the best possible light. And I told them at least 3 times in seperate visit consecutively... But i guess it's not their roles per se.

its a shame really, when good brands are let down by lousy distributors....

i would like to know hows the offer on the K100D Super? compared to outside shops? i would want to buy it by this weekend, coz my budget really low and juz want a entry-level DSLR. so it was either the Nikon D40 or this. but the Pentax has so much more features...

I think OP went as low as $860 at one time. But at $899 for the IT show price, I would say go for it and get the free gifts and hassle free warranty. But go on the last day...the price may reduce a little or maybe you get more free gifts. Unless you can bargain them for "last day" gifts on Day 2 tomorrow..;)

Status
Not open for further replies.