pentax istDS and lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantasia

Nov 9, 2003
The North
Visit site
hi all,

I'm looking at the option of perhaps getting a pentax istDs to complement my a70 p&s.

However would like to find out some things regarding it from you guys. Main concern being lenses. While i knoe that the DS is compatible with all of pentax lenses...realistically speaking...what are the lenses available? As in where do you even get the older lenses from? Ebay? And roughly how much do they cost...say for a 28mm prime, 50mm and a 85mm? And do these actually have auto-focus capabilities?

Suppose we look at newer lenses...erm what are the options? Mainly zooms? And regarding zooms...since the size of the DS is quite small...would longer range zooms such as 70-300 feel out of place mounted on the DS?

Lastly, hee any price quotes for the DS?

Thanks alot guys! ;p

ps. oh yeah a small matter, but does the lcd status panel actually have a light-up button? :)

Actually did a search on the pentax lenses...and realised how hard it is to get 2nd hand pentax lenses here.. :sweat:

And also the variety and different mounts on ebay are quite confusing... :embrass:

phantasia said:
Actually did a search on the pentax lenses...and realised how hard it is to get 2nd hand pentax lenses here.. :sweat:

And also the variety and different mounts on ebay are quite confusing... :embrass:

IMHO, if you are looking for Pentax Mount Lense, you might have to place special orders from the Shops (for new lense). As for Penatx lense, specially the older version, such as SMC-M, SMC-A, SMC-F and SMC-FA, most probably you will need to get it from ebay, not very often you find someone posting and said he's selling certain lense.

SMC-M and A, Not sure of F(maybe other Pentax user here can advise too), are Manual lense, and FA is Auto Focus. Overall, most of the prime lenses are good, but perhap you should be some research on the lense, and if you prefer Manual or Auto. Just met up with 2 other fellow user of DS today to MacRitche, and they are both using Manual Lense. I think they can advise you better. But I am looking forward my 50mm and perhaps a 28mm Prime (saving or strike 4D.... ;) )

Most importantly, dun feel embrass to ask, we are also learning, if not there is no need for this forum. Go test the camera and be sure you are comfortable with it. Hope to hear a new members joining us, the Rare and Special Pentax Users.... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.