Pentax in 2018: What the Brand Brings to the Table

unagi

Jun 7, 2007
Hello Pentaxians and non-Pentaxians,

Well, 2018 hasn't exactly ended but sharing with you a pretty decent read from Pentaxforums.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/gear-guides/what-pentax-brings-to-the-table.html

I always get asked why I dig Pentax and I'm sure fellow Pentaxians get that question pretty often as well. Especially in the current era of heavy marketing by the big brands. No disrespect to shutter bug friends using those systems. Lots of talented photographers are not Pentax users as well. And anyway, the photographer herself or himself is more important than the gear.

This isn't a marketing post about Pentax. Just sharing a read. Cheers.

canon, nikon are too common to be cool.
sony color got dry skin tone (ditched my a7 after a week use),
all mirrorless always need worry sensor dust, since sensor is well exposed outside when changing lens.

so only choice is pentax. :p

Reactions: unagi
I have used my Pentax K1 in Europe during winter with rains....
3C with subsequent icing.
Dried it out in my hotel room.
The beast is still working fine.
Also great to shoot in unsafe third world countries like Vietnam.... because people there have no idea what a Pentax is....
The downsides? Repeated SDM failures with my DA*16-50/2.8 and 50-135/2.8....

Plus the K1 is the only modern full-frame DSLR with image stabilisation....
That excludes the vintage Sone A mounts - A900 etc...
With robust weather sealing...
Nicer colour rendition than my Nikon D750. Weaker high ISO performance, but IS balances it out

Well, I hope they keep to their words.

In Closing
The rolling out of new products may be slower than some will like, but even then Pentax has us covered product wise except perhaps in rare circumstances which most of us will never face. It is impressive how Pentax innovation has developed the in-body shake reduction system to also work as an astrotracer, composition adjustment replacing a shift lens, AA filter simulator and resolution enhancement device. We've come to take such inventions for granted and perhaps forget to give Pentax credit where credit is due. Backwards compatibility is also commendable and kudos are warranted for the hardware upgrade offer turning a K-1 into a K-1 II and serves to illustrate that an investment into Pentax is future proof.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/gear-guides/what-pentax-brings-to-the-table.html#ixzz5WALu9vCf

Hope to see more exciting news next year for Pentax! :)

For now, enjoy what you have... hee.