Pentax full frame DSLR in PMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Kirin

Apr 8, 2005
Do you think Pentax will luanch their full frame digital DSLR in this coming PMA?

Maybe not, since K10 just begin it's product life cycle.......

Nope, don't think Pentax would have a 35mm full frame dSLR at the moment, or in the next one or two years. They can't even make enough 1.5x cropped dSLR and DA lenses ...

dun think so..

nope... not a chance at all in this 1 to 2 years. But eventually, I believe Pentax will have FF dSLR into production some day.

It has been relatively quiet between Pentax and Samsung on what exactly Samsung is helping Pentax achieve in their joint agreement. It has been almost 2yrs since. Maybe there is a super top secret FF sensor from samsung soon? or maybe a new APS-C sensor which pack more pixel than 10MP? We couldn't rule this out too. Anyway, all these are groundless rumors.

In the mean time, just continue to enjoy using Pentax gears...

cheerss..

They can't even make enough 1.5x cropped dSLR and DA lenses ...
What do you mean? :sweat:

I guess what he meant was if Pentax were ever gonna release a FF DSLR, I'd imagine they'd make it with all the bells and whistles aimed at the upper tier of photographers ie : (Professionals) Maybe somewhere closer to the realm of a 5D

So for a professional photographer to look at the lens lineup of Pentax compared to say.....Can0n, one has to admit that Pentax is lacking in terms of coverage.

pentax should focus all their energies on the K10D and K100D range first.
Eg , offer software enhancements, more lens range, better publicity and marketing.
should learn a lesson from apple ipod. only a few products, so better focus unlike creative with too many product range, sapping all their energy. Need to design for countless accessories...
I think should give the K10D (and K20D and K30D) a few years to take more share from Canon before they move onwards.

pentax should focus all their energies on the K10D and K100D range first.
Eg , offer software enhancements, more lens range, better publicity and marketing.
should learn a lesson from apple ipod. only a few products, so better focus unlike creative with too many product range, sapping all their energy. Need to design for countless accessories...
I think should give the K10D (and K20D and K30D) a few years to take more share from Canon before they move onwards.

I agree :)

Actually, I am stuck in between the FZ-50 and K100 when I want to get a good camera for newbie. From what I read in the forum and heard from a canon user friend is that Pentax has a limited range of lenses in SG, however there are more 3rd party lenses can be found.

Next, is also the support of after sales in SG, where I found that some users were unsure of whether Pentax will offer warrenty services for camera bought from overseas, as I am thinking of getting it from the BHPhoto (recommended by many users and some books which I think they must be very good):)

So, I had chosen the FZ-50 instead, as i do not have to hunt for lenses.

But I will surely chose pentax in the future for DSLR when I have the financial ability to upgrade and they are well established in SG market by having at least more lenses.

Bro, don't mind me saying so but I believe you have unfortunately made a BIG time mistake getting the FZ50.

Firstly there is a very big distinction between a mega zoom all-in-one digital camera (that's more in common with a digital camcorder) and a DSLR like the K100D (which operates closer to that of a film format SLR). It's like chalk and cheese and unfortunately many fail to understand this distinction.

Secondly, while the FZ50 has a wide zoom range lens made by Leica and impressive on-paper spec and attractive price; nonetheless, noise is apparent in high ISOs and while colours are punchy, image detail and sharpness is kinda weak.

I can vouch for this as I have a relative who bought the FZ50 and now regrets buying it. Personally, having had 2 prosumer all-in-one digital cameras (Nikon Coolpix 5700 & Olympus c5050), any current DSLR will be a head of it in terms of usability and ultimate picture quality.

True, Pentax may currently not have the extensive range of lenses compared to Canon or Nikon or availability from 3rd party lens makers, nonetheless with what is currently available one can easily cover 90% of the shooting needs of most photographers. There are many great lenses already in the pipeline. If you're a Pentax owner, the first thing you'll learn is patience and like the saying goes, "All good things come to those who wait."

Bro, don't mind me saying so but I believe you have unfortunately made a BIG time mistake getting the FZ50.

Firstly there is a very big distinction between a mega zoom all-in-one digital camera (that's more in common with a digital camcorder) and a DSLR like the K100D (which operates closer to that of a film format SLR). It's like chalk and cheese and unfortunately many fail to understand this distinction.

Secondly, while the FZ50 has a wide zoom range lens made by Leica and impressive on-paper spec and attractive price; nonetheless, noise is apparent in high ISOs and while colours are punchy, image detail and sharpness is kinda weak.

I can vouch for this as I have a relative who bought the FZ50 and now regrets buying it. Personally, having had 2 prosumer all-in-one digital cameras (Nikon Coolpix 5700 & Olympus c5050), any current DSLR will be a head of it in terms of usability and ultimate picture quality.

True, Pentax may currently not have the extensive range of lenses compared to Canon or Nikon or availability from 3rd party lens makers, nonetheless with what is currently available one can easily cover 90% of the shooting needs of most photographers. There are many great lenses already in the pipeline. If you're a Pentax owner, the first thing you'll learn is patience and like the saying goes, "All good things come to those who wait."

Sure, i don't mind. So many things with pros and cons in this world :)

Thats why i said, in future, if I can upgrade to DSLR, I will choose Pentax. Next, I had also seen some threads about the quality of 3rd party lenses, thats why I decided not to take the risk.

Finally, my father used to be a pentax user in the good old days 1980s :) Thats why I hope to get Pentax in the future when I started to work :)

I agree :)

Actually, I am stuck in between the FZ-50 and K100 when I want to get a good camera for newbie. From what I read in the forum and heard from a canon user friend is that Pentax has a limited range of lenses in SG, however there are more 3rd party lenses can be found.

Next, is also the support of after sales in SG, where I found that some users were unsure of whether Pentax will offer warrenty services for camera bought from overseas, as I am thinking of getting it from the BHPhoto (recommended by many users and some books which I think they must be very good):)

So, I had chosen the FZ-50 instead, as i do not have to hunt for lenses.

But I will surely chose pentax in the future for DSLR when I have the financial ability to upgrade and they are well established in SG market by having at least more lenses.

iirc, pentax warranty is worldwide...

For the price of the Pentax FZ50, you are better off with the K100D.
I owned the FZ5 previously and upgraded to the FZ7.
The latest range has alot of improvement but a disappointment in the image quality department. Instead of using better and bigger CCD such as 1/1.7", they stuck to the smaller one. Hence had to use software to remove noise, and degrading the image and wasting the excellent optics. The key strength of the FZ series is the high x12 and image stabilisation. That's very useful if you are at a concert and want to zoom in with no motion blur and take videos as well. I find that an excellent choice over the DSLR.
Otherwise go with the K100D instead...and downgrade to a very cheap second hand FZ5 for those long range moments.

Thanks for the info guys. :)

I looking forward to upgrade to DSLR after my ARMY bah... :)

Hope that time we have the chance to meet and share some photos :)

Status
Not open for further replies.