Pentax Forum is now Pentax Square?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengh

May 6, 2007
Florida
Just came back from a short stay in Tokyo, and I thought I'll take this chance to visit the famed Pentax Forum. I followed the directions in my Oct 2007 Lonely Planet guide, which locates the Pentax Forum in the Shinjuku Mitsui Building, and describes it as "and interactive showroom where photography buffs can play with the latest photography equipment.... a must for shutterbugs." I faced a couple of surprises though.

When I got to the Mitsui Building and hunt around, I was told that the Pentax Forum was moved next door to the Shinjuku Center Building. I went over there and found the place, and picked up a postcard with the new location. But it might be called Pentax Square now instead of Pentax Forum, both names were used in the postcard info sanned here:
Pentax-Square.jpg

I remember seeing pictures of the old Pentax Forum posted here, and was looking forward to testing the different lenses on my K20D body, but on the display table was a "No photography allowed inside" sign. Not sure what that meant exactly, but since I only have the Japanese vocabulary of a 3 year old, I grudgingly obeyed and did not try to clarify or take out my K20D. To those who have been to the old Pentax Forum: Did this sign used to be there?? How can I try out the latest equipment if no photography is allowed??

I did take a couple of shots outside the store though, of the soon to be released items on display:
IMGP3368.jpg

IMGP3369.jpg

They have yet to update the labels even though it was already 28 Feb....

All in all I was rather disappointed with my visit to Pentax Forum/Square. Even among the items displayed, only around 6 DA lenses were free for you to handle (DA*55mm included), the rest were locked in a glass display shelf (the DA*60-250mm included). I'm really curious, was the Pentax Forum a more interesting place before the move from Mitsui Building?

Btw, they were marketing the K-m and K20D, but I didn't see any K200D on display (except the one with the ring flash), not sure if it's an indication of the direction the bodies are going to take.

Last edited:
Pentax Forum is part of the entire place called Pentax Square.

http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/news/2007/200710.html

Went to the new one in November 2007. At that time there were K10D, 645, 67 bodies and lenses to try. Many other 35mm/DA lenses in glass cabinet and sales corner.

From the way the hands on display is set up, it might have been possible to try their lenses with the provided bodies but I didn't try. Didn't notice any No Photography signs.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330439

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up bro. :thumbsup:

Now I won't get lost searching for it next month. Pity about the lens selection though. :(

Pentax Forum is part of the entire place called Pentax Square.

http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/news/2007/200710.html

Went to the new one in November 2007. At that time there were K10D, 645, 67 bodies and lenses to try. Many other 35mm/DA lenses in glass cabinet and sales corner.

From the way the hands on display is set up, it might have been possible to try their lenses with the provided bodies but I didn't try. Didn't notice any No Photography signs.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330439

Yes, that's the same place, I recognise the interior. I guess they must have shifted in late 2007, since the Lonely Planet didn't have the updated address (I'm guessing they shouldn't need more than a few months' lag time before publication for such updates). I'm still not sure about the no photography rule, but the sign is certainly off-putting, especially in a camera brand-name store!

I think the number of items on the hands-on display is about the same as what you saw. There were the 645 and 645II bodies, but I think fewer medium format lenses than what I see in your photos.

What I really would have liked to do is try the DA*55mm on my K20D, snap a few portraits to really try out the lens. Maybe I should have tried to sign-language the man at the counter for permission. Baracus, try and let us know!

yes, you are right about the Pentax forum. It was in Mitsui Building and then shifted to the building next to it. I visited the previous Pentax forum at Mitsui Building back in dec2006, and recently feb2009 at the new one.

Comparing the old one at Mitsui building, I actually like the old one better. I remembered there was FA600 to try out then. But my recent visit didn't see any of the bigger lenses available for trying. However, the recent DA lenses are all display there for users to try out. K20d, K-m are left there for visitor to try freely.

There are less cameras in the showcase and I guess this is because their floor space is smaller than before. Nevertheless, I managed to capture snap of the transparent bodies of K20d and K-m in the showcase. These are shared out on the forum here earlier.

cheerss..

Status
Not open for further replies.