Pentax DSLR ?

samkck

Dec 27, 2010
Hi, I am the owner of Nikon D3000 and currently considering of changing to Pentax.

I was attracted to Pentax due to its competitive pricing and high specification in its own category. However, I felt uneasy when I read some of the negative feedbacks (mainly on faulty part of camera). It's really shaken my confidence in Pentax.
\
Can anyone help to enlighten ?

Thanks guys.:confused:

Maybe you can say what are some of the negative feedbacks you read, let the rest tell u more about it.

Problems like faulty in e-dial, lens won't auto focus, stain on sensor of K5 recently. :embrass:

Hi, I am the owner of Nikon D3000 and currently considering of changing to Pentax.

I was attracted to Pentax due to its competitive pricing and high specification in its own category. However, I felt uneasy when I read some of the negative feedbacks (mainly on faulty part of camera). It's really shaken my confidence in Pentax.
\
Can anyone help to enlighten ?

Thanks guys.:confused:

faulty parts? like what?

feedbacks like - Auto focus not working even lens is mounted correctly and AF button somehow hard to turn to. :eek:

Hang around the other brands' sub-forums, and you'll also come across such issues. It's a matter of QC failure which happens to every electronics company.

Pentax's QC isn't much better or worse than others, I believe. Anyway, you always have the 1-year warranty.

Myself, I have been using Pentax DSLRs -- K100DS and K-7 -- and numerous lenses for more than 3 years, without a single issue with either bodies or lenses.

feedbacks like - Auto focus not working even lens is mounted correctly and AF button somehow hard to turn to. :eek:

nv experience the first problem.

but for the second "problem", the switch is hard to turn on/off i think is to prevent accidental switching of AF/MF mode bah, nothing to worry abt. I'm fine with it.

thanks for the information.

By the way i was curious why Pentax , Canon and Nikon all of the them are popular in Japan and yet only CAnon and NIkon felt its presence in Singapore or south east asia countries. Any idea guys ?

By the way i was curious why Pentax , Canon and Nikon all of the them are popular in Japan and yet only CAnon and NIkon felt its presence in Singapore or south east asia countries. Any idea guys ?

Marketing gimmicks kills :)

Pentax lost its lead in the market partly because they were still stuck with film when others have moved to digital formats. They have since caught up.
In addition, the previous 2 local agents were doing very minimal to market the brand and as a result, the market share and public visibility suffered. The current agent Emjay has taken a more proactive stance but I guess Pentax having really great cameras at affordable prices makes their job much easier. Also, C and N tend to command a higher premium because many are willing to pay more but then you are not getting value for money this way. Emjay on the other hand wants to increase market share, so their pricing is very competitive as far as local agents are concerned.
And if you want a coloured DSLR, there is only ONE choice. :D
Don't forget the friendly Pentaxians too!

Problems like faulty in e-dial, lens won't auto focus, stain on sensor of K5 recently. :embrass:

lens won't auto focus?

hmm... too close to subject when lens have a certain distance to keep?

faulty e-dial - not for me yet.

stain - that 1.. have been resolved.

Personally bought the kx, kr and quite alot of lenses, never had any issues.
The only problem I had was trying to register some warranty online.

There are always lemons for every brand.
Dont worry too much, just enjoy the good cam.

Just test the camera more when you are buyin it to prevent such issues.

every camera model got pros and cons one lah...

if u swing by the nikon forum, there was very extensive discussion abt the D7000 problems as well.

not to justify any brand's flaws. but its simply impossible to expect a flawless / perfect camera. esp for new models, there will be teething problems.

more important is how well the company honours its warranty.

on this, so far so good for me.

what's most important is image quality.

You have the one year warranty to solve all QC failures so there is nothing to worry about.

Faulty e-dail? Can be resolved easily by getting a one-to-one or going to the service centre to get it solved.

Lens won't AF? well if ou are too lose to subject then of course it will not focus.

Stain on sensor was a QC issue for the K5 ad it has been resolved.

I have been using K-mount cameras like Cosina, Ricoh and Chinon since 1986 and Pentax since 1992. So this will tell you how good the Pentax brand is.

It's like hawker centre food, although the food are not really nice but if ppl say "die die must try" then most ppl will follow lor. But we Pentaxians, we want to be different and "be interesting" ;)

I had the e-dial problem on my K10D, but then it was already pretty old.
I am still using a Pentax DSLR now, the K-X.

Pentax just offers too much for the money for me to consider the other brands.
So its Pentax for me :)

Last edited:

The Japanese tend to be less "Oh, I see people BBB, so I BBB".

Singaporeans, sadly, tend to be trend-followers. Take a quick poll of the newcomers to photography in Newbies Corner here, ask them why they chose the brand they chose, I'd wager you that at least 70% would tell you "my friend recommend" , or "the brand popular what, can't go wrong". :thumbsup:

Btw, I have been through 4 Pentax DSLRs.

K100D, K20D, K100D modified for IR, K-r.

None have given me any problem ever.

All theses problems are usually blown out of proportion. Previously someone made hell lot of noise saying k-r's AF is inaccurate under certain fluorescent lights. Now this is what I saw from the Nikon forum: Link