Pentax DA* 60-250 or Sigma 70-200 f2.8 or Tamron 70-200 f2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calahan

Jun 26, 2009
Toa Payoh
Looking around for a zoom lens for zoo outings, concerts (for kids; may be able to use flash). Have found three options that are possible:

1) Pentax DA* 60-250mm F4: Likes - It's a DA*, zoom range more than 4X, Not like: Price
2) Tamron 70-200mm F2.8: Good reviews, better IQ than Sigma, cheaper than DA* and faster. Not like: narrower zoom range than DA*, slow AF?
3) Sigma 70-200mm F2.8: Good reviews, faster AF than Tamron, cheaper than DA*and faster. Not like: poorer IQ than Tamron, narrower zoom range than DA*

Would like to hear from you guys for any comments and tips. I am currently using a travel lens and 18-55 kit lens. Have deceided on 17-50mm Tamron f2.8 to upgrade from my kit lens.

Thanks in advance.

Calahan: Im in a similar situation as you, I juz got the Tamron 17-50, now deciding btw your option 2 & 3, intending to buy today lol.
Regarding the 3 lenses you are lookin at, I think you have to decide, if you need over 200mm, the weather sealing, the F4 against F2.8, noise and maybe the weight, Sigma's quieter but heavier compared to Tamron.
For me, I can live without weather sealing and I need the F2.8 for low light situations.
Depends on the type of pics you take.
If you need some reading, theres a small discussion btw Sigma/Tamron 70-200 f2.8 at http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653175

flowerpot: Can you share more pics taken from your Sigma, would really really appreciate it.
Cuz I see at other sites, mostly Tamron's.

Last edited:
flowerpot: Can you share more pics taken from your Sigma, would really really appreciate it.
Cuz I see at other sites, mostly Tamron's.

err... i dun have a sigma 70-200... i have a sigma 10-20... u want to see :bsmilie:

70-200mm samples can be found at many places...

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sigma+70-200
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sigma+70-200&s=int
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma70-200mm/

anyway for IQ its not much big difference between them... at least my naked eye cannot see any difference if there is a blind test...

60-250 is more ex than the rest... and 50mm more reach is not too significant unless u really need 250mm... tele is diff from wide... 50mm diff in tele is not as significant as 10mm diff in wide...

Build quality sigma over tamron anytime...

so sigma lor if im the 1 chosing...

but i dun like 70-200mm... i prefer just a 200mm prime since im a funny person :bsmilie:

Opps I got mixed up. But thanks so much for the links!
Really appreciate them.

Now I can decide if Sigma's lower IQ is really much lower, because I really wish to have that faster/quieter AF.

Well, can just put a teleconverter to it if need more zooming. I think.

I was actually thinking of the Sigma & Tamron. But the Pentax 300mm is very captivating indeed. Seen some of the Pentaxians using it, was like "Whoa..."

Well, can just put a teleconverter to it if need more zooming. I think.

I was actually thinking of the Sigma & Tamron. But the Pentax 300mm is very captivating indeed. Seen some of the Pentaxians using it, was like "Whoa..."

err... i dun have a sigma 70-200... i have a sigma 10-20... u want to see :bsmilie:

70-200mm samples can be found at many places...

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sigma+70-200
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sigma+70-200&s=int
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma70-200mm/

anyway for IQ its not much big difference between them... at least my naked eye cannot see any difference if there is a blind test...

60-250 is more ex than the rest... and 50mm more reach is not too significant unless u really need 250mm... tele is diff from wide... 50mm diff in tele is not as significant as 10mm diff in wide...

Build quality sigma over tamron anytime...

so sigma lor if im the 1 chosing...

but i dun like 70-200mm... i prefer just a 200mm prime since im a funny person :bsmilie:

Thanks bro flowerpot. Your replies are interesting:). So the diff b/w 200 and 250 not much right. Thanks for the tip.

The forums do mention that Sigma lens QC is somtimes hit and run. How true is it for you and if after warranty is it expensive to repair or replace parts. Tamron is lighter by 180g also:bsmilie: Build quality review have put Sigma above Tamron.

Anyway, I have not decided. I'll wait for more bros feedback. The DA* is very expensive though, after all it is a Pentax DA*. Those who have used it loved it.

Thanks for the info

Bro Oyama, after you buy, share your views leh. Thanks for the link. Like other forums, most seem to prefer Tamron, Would like to hear from any Sigma users....

Im in the exact same situation as you, still on the fence. Tuff choice.
Or maybe you wanna wait for the new version of Tamron's 70-200, not sure when though. lol

Looking around for a zoom lens for zoo outings, concerts...QUOTE]

Since your intension is not for overseas shots, get the FA*80-200mm lah.
Price wise, it’s almost same or near to the DA 60-250. Built & IQ wise.:thumbsup:
But don't get poisoned...:bsmilie:

Last edited:
For the Tamron 70-200mm u can ask darrrrrrrrrrrrrr to share his view as he is abusing it in Uni =P

For the Tamron 70-200mm u can ask darrrrrrrrrrrrrr to share his view as he is abusing it in Uni =P

AF-C can be too slow for sports but that may be the fault of the camera and not the lens. Haven't compared to the Sigma so I cannot say for sure.

AF issues aside, the Tamron 70-200 is a truly versatile lens. Apart from all the f/2.8 low-light events and stage shooting that I mainly use it for, it also does:

Sports
p39936063-4.jpg

Street/portrait
p357639592-4.jpg

Birds
p82525513-4.jpg

Macro
p28432562-4.jpg

Landscape
p881616538-4.jpg

AF-C can be too slow for sports but that may be the fault of the camera and not the lens. Haven't compared to the Sigma so I cannot say for sure.

AF issues aside, the Tamron 70-200 is a truly versatile lens. Apart from all the f/2.8 low-light events and stage shooting that I mainly use it for, it also does:

Sports
p39936063-4.jpg

Street/portrait
p357639592-4.jpg

Birds
p82525513-4.jpg

Macro
p28432562-4.jpg

Landscape
p881616538-4.jpg

Nice pics. What body are you using? Since you mentioned that the AF-C is slow which could be due to the camera, I am using only a K200D, will it be a problem?

Thanks for your input.

Looking around for a zoom lens for zoo outings, concerts...QUOTE]

Since your intension is not for overseas shots, get the FA*80-200mm lah.
Price wise, it’s almost same or near to the DA 60-250. Built & IQ wise.:thumbsup:
But don't get poisoned...:bsmilie:

I see poison arrow coming...

Im in the exact same situation as you, still on the fence. Tuff choice.
Or maybe you wanna wait for the new version of Tamron's 70-200, not sure when though. lol

Bro, I thought you wanted to buy. I am still unable to decide but I am not in hurry. So dun wait for me okay.

New version may not be as good as the old one, so must wait for lots of reviews.

Other CS forummer posted this http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2009.11.01/lens-repair-data-35 Is this serious?

lol Im not waiting for you, just that I managed to find some antidote from Bro Darrrrr.
So I will hold on for now.
And ya 1 usual complaint bout the Tamrons is that it may get stuck or somethin somewhere, some say if you buy it, be prepared to send it back once. lol

lol Im not waiting for you, just that I managed to find some antidote from Bro Darrrrr.
So I will hold on for now.
And ya 1 usual complaint bout the Tamrons is that it may get stuck or somethin somewhere, some say if you buy it, be prepared to send it back once. lol

Aperture lever may stick open and all your photos will be consistently overexposed. When you get the lens be sure to shoot like crazy within the exchange period to make sure the lens does not suffer from this problem. Usually if it does not stick within the initial period it won't stick later on.

Nice pics. What body are you using? Since you mentioned that the AF-C is slow which could be due to the camera, I am using only a K200D, will it be a problem?

Thanks for your input.

Bro, I thought you wanted to buy. I am still unable to decide but I am not in hurry. So dun wait for me okay.

New version may not be as good as the old one, so must wait for lots of reviews.

Other CS forummer posted this http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2009.11.01/lens-repair-data-35 Is this serious?

That's for Canon mount, which has a focus motor in the lens. Pentax uses screw-drive from the body so the focus issues should not affect us.

I'm using a K20D. Never tried it on a K-7 so I'm not sure how much of it is due to the body. Maybe if you wait until June when I'm back in SG then we can do a testing session ;)

So what's new, current Tamron build quality is suspect. Doesn't surprise me one bit so I try to make it a point not to own any modern Tamron lens, no matter how great the supposed optical quality is.
I guess if one is prepared to fork out more than S$1K plus for a lens, one better make sure it will last and not have niggling quality issues.

Ok I am going to post my experience with Sigma service just for your info.

Last year I bought a Sigma 50mm macro off a forumer, the lens is about 1 yera plus - 2 years old. I found that got focusing issue, so I brought down to Sigma service centre near queensway.

The singapore service centre is very good, willing to service it free for me, but says need to wait for a month while they order the part from Japan. 1 month later, they call me up and tell me that Japan do not manufacture the parts anymore. So my focusing issue LPPL cannot fix.

So you decide yourself on whether you want to buy a lens from a manufacturer that EOL parts so early. Moreover the service centre told me this is common problem with the lens. Personally they are on my ban list, and i will never ever touch another sigma lens ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.