Pentax DA* 60-250 or Sigma 70-200 f2.8 or Tamron 70-200 f2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's new, current Tamron build quality is suspect. Doesn't surprise me one bit so I try to make it a point not to own any modern Tamron lens, no matter how great the supposed optical quality is.
I guess if one is prepared to fork out more than S$1K plus for a lens, one better make sure it will last and not have niggling quality issues.

The risk of sudden and complete SDM failure was a bigger worry for me. Maybe the actual percentage is not high, but if ever it happens to me especially out of warranty I would be very very pissed. :angry:

The risk of sudden and complete SDM failure was a bigger worry for me. Maybe the actual percentage is not high, but if ever it happens to me especially out of warranty I would be very very pissed. :angry:

SDM is for Pentax right? What about Sigma? Is the HSM as worry? Thanks bro Darrrrrr

Ok I am going to post my experience with Sigma service just for your info.

Last year I bought a Sigma 50mm macro off a forumer, the lens is about 1 yera plus - 2 years old. I found that got focusing issue, so I brought down to Sigma service centre near queensway.

The singapore service centre is very good, willing to service it free for me, but says need to wait for a month while they order the part from Japan. 1 month later, they call me up and tell me that Japan do not manufacture the parts anymore. So my focusing issue LPPL cannot fix.

So you decide yourself on whether you want to buy a lens from a manufacturer that EOL parts so early. Moreover the service centre told me this is common problem with the lens. Personally they are on my ban list, and i will never ever touch another sigma lens ever again.

Now I am getting worry.:sweat:
Just recently acquire a Sigma 180mm/2.8 Macro that cost me an arm and almost a leg.
On the contrary, I usually use manual focusing for macros.

SDM is for Pentax right? What about Sigma? Is the HSM as worry? Thanks bro Darrrrrr

Put it this way, motor on body, you change the body ~2-5yrs and failure on the body will never be noticed/known. Motor on lens, you don't change the lens ;)
Its a 'potential' problem with any USM/HSM/SDM/etc

I personally find that the problem has been blown out of proportion by the few very unhappy ppl (overseas) who have encountered this issue. I mean, who wouldn't be pissed. The Pentax community is a small one. Just imagine the effect of just the same few ppl going onto the few well know forums trumpeting the HSM doomsday message.

Now I am getting worry.:sweat:
Just recently acquire a Sigma 180mm/2.8 Macro that cost me an arm and almost a leg.
On the contrary, I usually use manual focusing for macros.

1 lens - oil separation from the grease after 4-5yrs (it was an often used lens)
1 lens - totally OOF out of box

So you say they good or not.
Yes, testing before purchase is the best safe guard.

I just don't have confidence in this brand anymore even though they provide great value for money and have some very good options for Pentax

The brand is good....just that see which decision maker is running the show.

at least until Pentax will launch a f2.8 zoom within the price range of tamron/sigma f2.8 and if it costs a bit more for weather sealing, i dont think most users will mind.

Last edited:
Thanks to all the bros for your replies. Had to take a short break as kids are sick. Looks like its up to me now which one I want to buy.

Bro Oyama, good luck on your lens purchase as well.

Closing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.