Pentax DA 55-300 handson experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

fengwei

Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
I only had the lens less than a week, but tested Lawrence's copy (now w/ Joseph ;)) once before I got mine. A few thoughts about this lens:

1. it's not too big or heavy, only a bit long when extended to full length.
2. focusing throw is pretty long, focusing can be more accurate. But if it hunts, it'd be quite slow to come back from a full turn.
3. very sharp in the entire focal range including the long end. I'm quite confident to use it wide open at any focal length
4. bokeh is very nice for a zoom lens, nicer than the DA50200 imo.
5. great focal range. I think I'd use it a lot

I guess we should let photos talk.

Here are a few shots I took during two weekends, one was from a weekend before at the SBG, the other one was last Sunday at MacRitch Resevior.

Some people photos:

K7FW8089_s.jpg

K7FW8163_s.jpg

K7FW8165_s.jpg

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com...8gfwtvO8Ypk0ldXMVUXlRRKXBr0aDg/K7FW8207_s.jpg

K7FW8102_s.jpg

Last edited:
I had this lens for a few months and find that it is sharp but sometimes this happens.
Is there anything wrong with my lens.
100% crop
uK20D3180.jpg

I had this lens for a few months and find that it is sharp but sometimes this happens.
100% crop
uK20D3180.jpg

You mean the green lines around the bird? It's probably color fringe. This happens to many if not all lenses when you shoot at something w/ very high contrast edges. I won't worry too much about it in actual use :)

Hi Fengwei,

I also own 55-300mm and love this much. I noticed all your images are very sharp and better than mine. Sometimes there is bit problem with AF during SIN show but pissed me off. So I turned to manual focusing and found MF is lot better than AF. Maybe I need more time to practise MF. Now it is in hands of my nephew who is playing with it.

Nice shots with the DA55-300 fengwei. If i do not have the 80-320, i would have bought one also. :)

100% crop

Looks like lateral chromatic aberration - is the focus spot-on?

Fw don't mind i contribute one shot taken with this lens.

Taken at MOG
IMGP9918.jpg

Looks like lateral chromatic aberration - is the focus spot-on?

I am using K20 on auto focus. Fengwei is right and it happens when there is a high contrast.

mm . . . Sound like a lens that i can consider getting.

Am actually debating on the DA*50-135 or the Tamron/Sigma 70-200 F2.8s or getting the DA55-300 as it is cheaper . . .

But having no $$$ can still "think" "think" about it hehehe . . .;p

Hi Fengwei,

I also own 55-300mm and love this much. I noticed all your images are very sharp and better than mine. Sometimes there is bit problem with AF during SIN show but pissed me off. So I turned to manual focusing and found MF is lot better than AF. Maybe I need more time to practise MF. Now it is in hands of my nephew who is playing with it.

This lens does hunt a bit in the tele end sometimes, even on K7, it seems more obvious because its long focusing throw, like a macro lens :) But it's indeed one of the better consumer level tele zoom lenses. I've used all these: Sigma 70-300 (several versions), Tamron 70-300, Pentax 75-300/80-320/100-300/50-200, and many other similar zoom lenses, this DA55-300 so far is the best one optically. It can focus pretty close too, 1.4m, close enough for shooting flowers, butterflies and dragonflies.

I'd keep mine for a long while.

mm . . . Sound like a lens that i can consider getting.

Am actually debating on the DA*50-135 or the Tamron/Sigma 70-200 F2.8s or getting the DA55-300 as it is cheaper . . .

But having no $$$ can still "think" "think" about it hehehe . . .;p

Those F2.8 zoom lenses are definitely better optically, I myself still keep the 80-200/2.8. But when I'm out w/ the kids, they are just too heavy to carry around. Better have a light weight tele zoom lens ready when bringing the kids our playing in the park :)

Some of mine :)

IMGP1577.jpg

IMGP1527.jpg

IMGP1570.jpg

need to train iron-hand:)

Those F2.8 zoom lenses are definitely better optically, I myself still keep the 80-200/2.8. But when I'm out w/ the kids, they are just too heavy to carry around. Better have a light weight tele zoom lens ready when bringing the kids our playing in the park :)

Need one for indoor though . . . So still need to put money aside for a 2.8 and get one for all purpose

Status
Not open for further replies.