Pentax DA*55/1.4 DA*60-250/4 and DA17-70/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pentax lens range is getting confusing for newbies.

Limited - 15, 21, 31, 35M, 40, 43, 70, 77. Hand made, alumimum body(?)
DA* - 30, 55, 16-50, 50-135, 60-250, 200, 300. Weather sealed, SDM
DA SDM - 17-70. SDM consumer grade
DA - the rest. Consumer grade, screw driven.

:sweat:

Some guys complained that Pentax didn't have enough lenses for them. Well, it's certainly changed now :bsmilie:

I just hope the local distributor will bring in all these lens. No point having a wide range of lenses but its not available locally.

You should tell Shriro about this :) As a matter of fact, we all should do so :D

You should tell Shriro about this :) As a matter of fact, we all should do so :D

Will they listen to us? A lot of people ended up getting their stuffs via other channel.:confused:

Well, Shriro should know how to do their business, and should know what our local Pentaxians wants. If we need to tell them what we want then they are not really serious about the customer base are they ? So far I don't see Shriro doing anything aggressive to promote Pentax range of cameras, despite K10D winning multiple awards last year. I don't know if the latest K20D and K200D will change the situation. And with the 8 new lenses announced for PMA, its gonna be an exciting year for Pentax, since when the last time we see so many lens being announced in a year ?

Some guys complained that Pentax didn't have enough lenses for them. Well, it's certainly changed now :bsmilie:

Now people will complain because making a choice from the many lenses that are close in focal length or have overlapping focal lengths is gonna be more difficult. :bsmilie:

If Shriro dont do anything, let's hop OP will. I can buy online, but given the QC problems of lenses (not just Pentax), I prefer to inspect and test them locally.

I remembered once many many years ago, I bought a Pentax A100mm 2.8. I was getting very very low shutter reading despite using it under the noon sun. Then I realise that the aperture coupling tab is missing! Some 1 in the factory forgot to install that part.

Rank O'Conner replaced the lens for me. U shd have seen the face of the sales manager. :bsmilie:

DA15 ltd (suddenly DA14 seems so BIG) and DA*30 (hopefully F/2) are nice for APS-C sensors. :heart:

Looks like all lens are DA...still a long way to FF sensor for Pentax. :dunno:

You can be sure the FF sensor race is on because Sony just announced a new 24.81 megapixel CMOS sensor with plans for production later this year. :eek:

The Pentax FF camera will come sooner rather than later. After all, the lens road map is not etched in stone and when the time comes, there will be lenses for FF. I dare say the design engineers at Pentax/Samsung are probably working hard on a FF camera even as we await the K20D.

DA15 ltd (suddenly DA14 seems so BIG) and DA*30 (hopefully F/2) are nice for APS-C sensors. :heart:

Looks like all lens are DA...still a long way to FF sensor for Pentax. :dunno:

I'm guessing all our future lenses would be DA, no matter it's for FF or 1.5x cropped sensor. We don't really need the aperture rings when using digital SLR, and this might save some cost, and make the lens more dependable too :)

Wow... More and more lenses coming out. That's great :thumbsup:

Will they listen to us? A lot of people ended up getting their stuffs via other channel.:confused:

If i have to get my stuffs through other channel, i will still get back and tell Shriro.;)

Actually, I want to get all these 3 lenses. But not much faith for Da* 60-250 though

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the lens performs. Being a tele zoom, I would imagine that it will less likely have the barrel to pincushion distortion common to wide to tele zooms and superzooms. The price needs to be right too.

My concern is the fate of the FA lenses.
With the DA* 55mm f/1.4 now out, I wonder if the FA 50mm f/1.4 will soon be discontinued?
And what of the FA 35mm f/2 and the three FA Limiteds?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the lens performs. Being a tele zoom, I would imagine that it will less likely have the barrel to pincushion distortion common to wide to tele zooms and superzooms. The price needs to be right too.

My concern is the fate of the FA lenses.
With the DA* 55mm f/1.4 now out, I wonder if the FA 50mm f/1.4 will soon be discontinued?
And what of the FA 35mm f/2 and the three FA Limiteds?

In my experience, while the 50 f/1.4 is an excellent lens, its a wee bit too long for general walkabout photography. I would have preferred to shortened it to 35mm or 40mm instead but keep it at f/1.4 or f1.2...:)

In my experience, while the 50 f/1.4 is an excellent lens, its a wee bit too long for general walkabout photography. I would have preferred to shortened it to 35mm or 40mm instead but keep it at f/1.4 or f1.2...:)

This make me thinks, will the new DA*30mm be a f/1.4?:think:

If it is that fast, it definitely won't come cheap. If it is an f/1.4, definitely need to see the lens performance first. Making a fast wide angle is one of the most challenging in terms of lens design as there needs to be significant control of aberrations (coma, barrel distortion, CA). It would still be a worthy lens if it was an f/2.

The 50mm has become a very short tele with the 1.5x crop (75mm). It is OK if you shoot outdoors but it might be a constrain if you use it indoors as the FOV may make it difficult for you to back up for group shots.

It is good for mid shots of people, though the additional 5mm on the DA* 55mm will make it better as a portrait lens. If you need a wider FOV, the existing FA 35mm or the new DA 35mm Macro might be just the thing.

I already have the Sigma 30 f/1.4....;) but if "conversion" is not drastic, of course I will change to Pentax 30 f/1.4 if there is such a lens but I am thinking to shorten development time, Pentax would probably rebadge a sigma 30 f/1.4 with some fine tuning like they did with the 18-250....

Status
Not open for further replies.