Pentax DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED wins Editor's Choice 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

creampuff

Jul 11, 2006
Dover
Yes those who own the Pentax DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED (IF) can give yourself a big pat on the back. The lens you paid good money for has made it to PopPhoto's Editor's Choice 2007.

http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/4245/editors-choice-2007-slr-lenses-pentax-da-16-50mm-f28-ed-if-page7.html

The Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye which we all know is identical to the Pentax also made it to the list.

http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/4245/editors-choice-2007-slr-lenses-tokina-10-17mm-f35-45-af-dx-fisheye-page6.html

So did the Tamron AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD ASPH (IF) Macro, which we all know also comes in a Pentax flavour...

http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/4245/editors-choice-2007-slr-lenses-best-buy-tamron-af-18-250mm-f35-63-di-ii-ld-asph-if-macro-page4.html

Plus best of all, Camera of the Year 2007 (Advanced DSLRs) goes to the Pentax K10D

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4242/editors-choice-2007-advanced-dslrs.html

Another award for K10D. Congrat!!! :D

Right now it's up to the effort of the distributor to market pentax and increase the awareness of the consumer. :)

wow, anti shake good up to 4 stops slower.

Not surprising, Pentax is going serious and we know it with them opening the new plant. Pentax has taken the world by storm before, I'm sure they are going to do it again. :D

Not surprising, Pentax is going serious and we know it with them opening the new plant. Pentax has taken the world by storm before, I'm sure they are going to do it again. :D

Agree! Surely Pentax would never be the same again! :thumbsup:

Posting from Berling :D

Thanks Denis for the good news. Now I'm debating which one to get: 1650 or 18250, or both :think:

IMGP7380.jpg

Congrats to pentax.:)

Posting from Berling :D

Thanks Denis for the good news. Now I'm debating which one to get: 1650 or 18250, or both :think:

The answer should be obvious ... BOTH :devil:.

im still waiting for 18-250...

Good news... Shriro brought in few more DA* 16-50mm. MS should be getting a couple of them soon :)

After using my 16-50mm I realised that Pentax really put in a lot of effort into this lens. Same as the 50-135mm, and the bonus? It works with my Tamron 1.4x teleconverter which I bought for US$69! :D

Yeah

This zoom gives me photo such a colour!

89874143.jpg

Hey James, that's a beautiful photo you got there. I saw your debating thread between this DA1650 and the DA14, so finally you got the DA1650. How do you think it compared with the DA14? I might get one of these soon.

Cheers!

Hey long time no see.

I remembered you were selling Fa 300mm f4.5 a while back. Not sure how you have been?

I like snapclub site since there are so many brand users here and definitely friendlier for sure. I do love to visit here for information or threads that I do not find elsewhere.

:)

Hey James, that's a beautiful photo you got there. I saw your debating thread between this DA1650 and the DA14, so finally you got the DA1650. How do you think it compared with the DA14? I might get one of these soon.

Cheers!

Hi Frank!

On a small note of this zoom, I basicly brought it for the sake of having a lighter load for travel. Seriously I did not know this zoom was quite a performer.

I shot plenty of landscape and aperture f8 would gaurantee landscape shots that you would not be able to see from any competition brands. The colour and contrast are just amazing! Actually, the wider the aperture, the better colour and contrast.

It is slightly weak in sharpness wide open in the corners (but narrow depth of field and front focusing to a degree). This is the area where quality control is an issue.

This zoom had been debated a bit in pentaxforums and I aggreed with some of the weakness of this zoom. f2.8 to f4 does cause a bit of inconsistent focusing. SDM is silent with no sounds fantastic for street candids but to get sharp shots using AF is a bit of luck involved.

For you Frank, the lens would be fantastic to use for protraits or candids. I shot food, people with the zoom and they are quite good in deed.

89872504.jpg

89677403.jpg

I still love Da14 and it is definitely sharper wide open. It is lighter and it is more capable to giving better AF. Though it gives a lot more flare than the zoom. Da 14 does not yield more colour or contrast than the zoom but you can bring all the colour and contrast out easily in photoshop.

This is really a great zoom to own (Tell me which competition brand has a zoom like this?)

BTW I walk through rain and tough weather with no concern over the whole k10d and zoom soaked with rain water
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.