Pentax DA 16-45mm

wilb87

Dec 19, 2010
Anyone upgraded from kit lens to the 16-45mm? I have been thinking about upgrading my kit lens. Not picking the DA* 16-50, is because there are some issues and i am not comfortable with the extra premium.

My purpose of this lens is for use at a shorter focal length around 20mm-35mm, but will prefer a zoom as it is more versatile. Don't have to be a very fast lens as i got my prime lens to cover my night shoot. I am looking more towards image quality and sharpness.

Anyone satisfied with their upgrade from kit lens to 16-45, or not satisfied, care to share with me?

Also looking at the Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR LD ASPHERICAL, or any other short zooms to recommend. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
i was looking for this lens for a period of time. many say it is better then the kit lens (DAL 1855/ DA 1855)and at certain f5.6 - f8 stop it can be as good as prime IQ.
sadly i did not manage to find a second hand copy.

But I want to share my "research" with you. I was suprised many ppl commented in PF saying the DA 1855 AL II or the DA 1855 WR (which is optically the same as the AL II version) can rival the DA1645.

I dont know how true as for now. I am waiting for my 1855WR to come then I will go do a shoot out with my friend 1645. maybe i will give an update later.

IMHO, just get the Tamron 17-50/2.8.

1. As cheap as the 16-45/4.
2. Faster aperture (f2.8). Usable right from f2.8. (ie. more DOF control; 1 stop more low light performance)
3. Very sharp lens.
4. Focal length up to 50mm, so you will not have lingering doubts that you are somehow missing out that 5mm when comparing against o/p from a common 50mm prime lens. :)

only con is that its 17mm and not 16mm.

I vote for tamron between the 2 .

How abt considering the new da 18-135mm. Maybe slightly more expensive , but more feathes :)

In the brief time I had with this lens, and if I remember correctly, you zoom out to get 16mm. If you can get past that, I think it's a capable lens. A notch better than the kit which is very good already. Creampuff had some fantastic pictures with it, if my memory doesn't fail me. There's one he took of a boat out in the translucent sea (not sure langkawi or tioman)

Given that you've got the DA 35, and if you already have the kit, I say stick with the kit lens. Here's an example with a Kit lens, and it does a good job.

4075520406_1b3c6f80dc_b.jpg

I know the white merlion is 'blown', that I de-saturated the colors, and I am certainly no master here, so don't flame me for my bad composition or framing etc ... just prefer to use pictures to illustrate my point.

Last edited:
Thats why i asked whether if anyone is satisfied or no satisfied with their upgrade :( .

The kit lens serves me well, but i will like to upgrade to a better optics for the shorter zoom range. Or should i say a lens upgrade is in progress, as i prefer to shoot at that shorter range, so will hope that a upgrade of equipment will result in better photo iq and sharpness compared to the kit lens?

thank you all for the reply, seems like the tamron is the more popular option with its f2.8

There are old Tokina 20-35 lenses, in various trims (AT-X, AT-X pro etc) with constant f2.8 or variable apertures. They're reputed to be quite sharp.

actually depends on what u shoot... i only use the kit lens for the landscape for the extra reach on the far end... so its f8 and above all the time... else the rest is on primes... 20-35mm is too short, just use leg zoom...

I have Samsung version of DA 16-45mm f4. So far, I'm happy with my upgrade. Center to corner sharpness is decent, contrast is good also. I just need to stop down 1 stop to get its sweet spot.

If you see one with good price, just get it ;)

IMGP1597cr.JPG

45mm, f5.6

IMGP3425_hdr.jpg

16mm, f11

IMGP0948jc.JPG

16mm, f11

I think the kit lens DAL 18-55mm works well for landscape but when using it to shoot abstracts or close-ups, this is when the lens show its flaws. Personally, i think it is not sharp although colours, contrast wise is good enough for me.

TS: Have you thought of Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro? Read several good reviews on it because I am currently also looking for lens to upgrade from my kit lens, preferably has a wide end of ~17mm and having longer reach than the kit lens of 55mm.

The SIGMA 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 Macro is a great lens and I used to have it with my K10D before I sold it to get the DA*16-50mm F2.8. USA seems to have issues with the first few batches but my copy is great. Have used it since 2009 and I still love it and now using together with my K7.

Anyone upgraded from kit lens to the 16-45mm? I have been thinking about upgrading my kit lens. Not picking the DA* 16-50, is because there are some issues and i am not comfortable with the extra premium.

What are the issues you have heard about? All have been solved. I do not recall hearing about new copies of the DA*16-50 having issues.

What are the issues you have heard about? All have been solved. I do not recall hearing about new copies of the DA*16-50 having issues.

I think its the SDM failure issue.

But I thought 16-45 also has some FF/BF problems?

The lastest batch of the DA* 16-50mm are alright. No SDM issues for what i get now.. Get the Tamron 17-50 f2.8, they are pretty good and cheaper too. At 17mm f2.8 i feel it is sharper then the Pentax 16mm f2.8 but step up higher both are almost on par, this what i feel whereby i dont what the rest feel about it. I feel that pentax 16mm f2.8 not as sharp as sigma too.

Last edited:
I happen to have some 100% crops, which show the comparison of DA1645 and DA1855II kit at 45mm, both wide open, i.e. f4 vs f4.5

45mmf4.5vsf4.png

left:f4.5, right:f4

45mmf4vsf4.5.png

left:f4, right:f4.5

IMHO, just get the Tamron 17-50/2.8.

1. As cheap as the 16-45/4.
2. Faster aperture (f2.8). Usable right from f2.8. (ie. more DOF control; 1 stop more low light performance)
3. Very sharp lens.
4. Focal length up to 50mm, so you will not have lingering doubts that you are somehow missing out that 5mm when comparing against o/p from a common 50mm prime lens. :)

only con is that its 17mm and not 16mm.

The tamron is a very good lens for the price, only drawback is its somewhat poorer build quality. DA*16-50 is superior but its also like double the price.

Off topic abit, from post #10 by Oceanpriest, his photo below

IMGP0948jc.JPG

anyone can tell me how to make the black wording of the Maybank logo appear? it always seems to be engulfed by the yellow lighted background. Even without UV filter and i tempered with exposure settings. Or should i pick a earlier timing for the shoot, or try alternative metering.

Yeap, i had heard alot of rants on the SDM motor of the DA*, glad to know from you guys that it has been resolved by Pentax. Will be looking for a second hand one, saw one recently on the buy and sell section. Will be going down OP to take a look.

tamron is indeed a better choice,
but i've tried out a second hand 16-45/f4 in a shop, and i find it very good upgrade to the kid 18-55.
just that tamron is better choice due to its price

Off topic abit, from post #10 by Oceanpriest, his photo below

IMGP0948jc.JPG

anyone can tell me how to make the black wording of the Maybank logo appear? it always seems to be engulfed by the yellow lighted background. Even without UV filter and i tempered with exposure settings. Or should i pick a earlier timing for the shoot, or try alternative metering.

Yeap, i had heard alot of rants on the SDM motor of the DA*, glad to know from you guys that it has been resolved by Pentax. Will be looking for a second hand one, saw one recently on the buy and sell section. Will be going down OP to take a look.

Here are a few :
1. Try to use a black card to block out the signage for a few seconds. This may cause that portion of the sky to look darker though.
2. Shoot a bit earlier
3. Photoshop 'Maybank' to 'DBS' or whatever you fancy; :bsmilie:
4. Just use the in camera HDR function and then adjust curves to get the exposure look you want
3. Don't bother with it :)