Not open for further replies.

istDeS

Dec 7, 2005
"River end"
200904-01.jpg

http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2009/200904.html

Main features of the smc PENTAX-DA15mmF4ED AL Limited

Ultra-wide-angle perspective
When mounted on a PENTAX digital SLR camera body, this new lens offers a 23mm angle of view in the 35mm format, letting the photographer capture unique, eye-catching images with visual effects unique to ultra-wide-angle lenses, such as enhanced perspective and an emphasized depth of field. It can be effectively used to capture eye-catching images of such subjects as sweeping landscapes, magnificent architecture and confined interiors.

Limited Lens-series quality for distinctive visual description and a premium appearance
The PENTAX Limited Lens series is designed for the ultimate in image reproduction, combining a series of mechanical and numerical evaluations with human assessment of test-shooting samples. True to this tradition, this new lens not only assures excellent image quality, but also produces sharp, clear images with outstanding contrast, even at the maximum aperture. This is because its optical design has been optimized for digital photography. In addition, its lens barrel, hood and cap are all made of a high-grade aluminum material and shaped for perfect proportions and striking beauty.

High-performance optics
This lens incorporates a hybrid aspherical (AL) lens and an extra-low-dispersion (ED) glass optical element to assure high-quality image reproduction with minimal aberrations, including lateral chromatic aberration. Compared to other ultra-wide-angle lenses, its image distortion is also compensated to a minimal level.

Compact, lightweight design
Thanks to its newly developed optics, this lens is designed extremely compact and lightweight despite its ultra-wide-angle perspective. Since it has no dome-shaped protrusion at the front end, the photographer can mount commercial 49mm-diameter filters, including circular polarizing filters popular in landscape photography.

Other features
-Flower-shaped lens hood, with extendible design for easy carrying
-Minimum focusing distance of 18 centimeters (or 0.59 feet) for close-up photography
-PENTAX-developed Quick-Shift Focus System for instant switching to manual-focus operation after the subject is captured in focus by the AF system
-PENTAX-original Super Protect (SP) coating applied to the front surface of the lens, making it easy to wipe off fingerprints, cosmetics and other stains

This lens will start shipping in April 2009 for $649.95 USD.;)

Isn't there already a 14mm f2.8?
What gives?

Isn't there already a 14mm f2.8?
What gives?

The DA15 is much more compact and smaller, thus easier to carry around. It's a limited lens, which means premium built quality w/ full metal barrel construction and excellent optical quality. It also got built in lens hood and SP coating, and a much smaller front filter size (49mm vs 77mm on the DA14). If you ever used the DA14, you'd know it's quite abit big lens, especially the hood :)

It's good to have more options, isn't it ;)

Im getting it! price seems right. Ha.

hrm.

not really sure if 15mm is actually a good fixed focal length. but primes are definitely so much lighter. :p

It also got built in lens hood and SP coating, and a much smaller front filter size (49mm vs 77mm on the DA14). If you ever used the DA14, you'd know it's quite abit big lens, especially the hood ;)

Ya right, a bigger hood provides more shade in sunny Singapore:bsmilie:

It is the 2.8 vs 4 that makes the DA14 bigger right?:think:

so its smaller is the selling point?

ignoring other manufacturers, cheaper can get the

Pentax 14mm f/2.8 DA ED (IF) US$479.99
Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 ED AL (IF) US$579.99

a battle of size vs specs.

so its smaller is the selling point?

ignoring other manufacturers, cheaper can get the

Pentax 14mm f/2.8 DA ED (IF) US$479.99
Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 ED AL (IF) US$579.99

a battle of size vs specs.

If you check their MSRP, you'd see that DA14 has a retail price of US$815.95 while the DA1224 is US$899.95:

http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/products/photo_imaging/slr_lenses

DA15's MSRP is only $649.95USD, that's quite a bit cheaper than either one ;) I'm sure when the lens hits the market for a while, its price will come down to somewhere between 300 and 400USD :)

For a comparison, the DA70 has a MSRP of $599.95, but its current actual street price is around $400USD only.

Last edited:
Ya right, a bigger hood provides more shade in sunny Singapore:bsmilie:

It is the 2.8 vs 4 that makes the DA14 bigger right?:think:

Yes, the DA14 has a faster aperture of F2.8, which might be useful for some users. But if you don't need a fast aperture, F4 might be enough for most users as a super wide angle lens. Remember Pentax had a couple of 15mm F3.5 lenses, and they are HUGE comparing w/ this DA15 :D

Another reason why this lens is so small because Pentax designed it as a Pancake lens, like all the other pancakes :cool:

MSRP? whoever sells at MSRP either is ironclad by distributor or simply nuts.

price quoted from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-14mm-S...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236097854&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-12-24m...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236097854&sr=8-3

but then again, there is a market of people will trade specs for size so the 15mm will have its niche in the Pentax user base.

Was expecting a range of F/2.8 Non-DA* zooms since i was guessing they needed more variety of lenses to pull in more converts to Pentax compared to previous strategy of getting Pentax users to instead buy more lenses.

Last edited:

Yes, you are right. And I can guarantee you that nobody is gonna sell the DA15 at $650USD after 2 years from now (DA14 and 1224 have been sold for over 2 to 3 years already). It's a brand new lens, of course its market price might be close to its MSRP. But just like I said above, its market price will come down eventually. You can't compare its MSRP w/ the other lenses' market prices, right? The only valid comparison is between their MSRPs.

but then again, there is a market of people will trade specs for size so the 15mm will have its niche in the Pentax user base.

Was expecting a range of F/2.8 Non-DA* zooms since i was guessing they needed more variety of lenses to pull in more converts to Pentax compared to previous strategy of getting Pentax users to instead buy more lenses.

Pentax can't make every consumer happy, no manufacturer can.

does SP mean no need to use UV filter?:(

Pentax is just playing to its own strengths by producing more Limited lenses. I'm guessing it's not easy to maintain a production line for a large variety of lenses, and with limited resources, you'd choose to focus on what you're good at. Fast zooms are not exactly a forte of Pentax (not Pentax history buff here, correct me if wrong), and producing non DA* f2.8 zooms would just cannibalise the market of the current DA* zooms, and face strong competition from Sigma and Tamron.

Now with the DA15mm out, if I had to choose a set of DA Limiteds, I think I'll go with the 15mm, 35mm and 70mm... ;p

Well, quite some people don't use filters on any of their lenses. So I guess it's up to the user :) This DA15 to built-in hood, and its front thread is only 49mm size, very small for a super wide angle lens. I guess it's pretty safe even w/o using a filter.

generally depends on where using and how much the lenses cost?

If in the desert with a couple of DA* grade lenses...definitely at least a skylight filter in case the sand permanently micro scratches on the lens surface.

for a $100 zoom lens, i dont even put on any filter. really depends on what lenses you feel is easily replaced.

Last edited:
Now with the DA15mm out, if I had to choose a set of DA Limiteds, I think I'll go with the 15mm, 35mm and 70mm... ;p

I would choose a mixture of DA ltds and a FA ltd i.e. DAs are 15mm, 35mm, and finally, some say the best auto focus lens in the world, 77mm!

But let's just see how the DA 15mm performs ... ;)

generally depends on where using and how much the lenses cost?

If in the desert with a couple of DA* grade lenses...definitely at least a skylight filter in case the sand permanently micro scratches on the lens surface.

for a $100 zoom lens, i dont even put on any filter. really depends on what lenses you feel is easily replaced.

Well I have been to a couple of deserts and unless there is a sandstorm (in which case we would all probably take shelter),
I don't even want to use any filters on my lenses because the sun is pretty strong and flare is always something to consider.

You're more likely get micro scratches using a ...Lenspen... :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Let's hope the DA 15mm is IR friendly and has good resistance to flare.
But strangely I still want to own the DA 14mm... :cool:

Gorgeous!

If I can live with the 15mm pov compared to the 10mm end on the Sigma, I'll get it someday... someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.