Pentax A50 F1.4 or M50 F1.7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SyncGuy

Sep 14, 2011
Earth
Hmm... As stated on the subject, if i/you have a choice, which one?

Haha!

given a choice, i always choose an A lens over a non-A lens. the functional enhancements makes sense even if it costs a bit more.

M 50 1.7

cheaper and tack sharp. unless someone selling A 50 1.4 at good price :bsmilie:

Oh... What's considered a good price for the A50 1.4? I bought a M50 1.7 for $40... So, I was wondering whether I should try get the A50 1.4.. LoL... Scared waste money as same focal range... :p

Oh... What's considered a good price for the A50 1.4? I bought a M50 1.7 for $40... So, I was wondering whether I should try get the A50 1.4.. LoL... Scared waste money as same focal range... :p

That's good price already. I think A 50mm f1.4 should be around $200+

if A 50mm f1.4 is around 200+, then a 2nd hand DA 35mm f2.4 also can be a good candidate. (at a wide focal length)

i personally went for a 50mm 1.2 straight, the bokeh n performance is a dream...

Wow... That's quite a sum... Hmm... A50 F1.2? Will try and find it for cheap! Haha!
Meanwhile, am hoping to find an A50 1.4 for cheap too... :p

Wow... That's quite a sum... Hmm... A50 F1.2? Will try and find it for cheap! Haha!

You surely jest. Cheap? No such thing for this aperture. Pentax Japan can still selling new for this lens.

If you could find an M50/1.7 for $40, I'm sure you can find an A50/1.4 for around $100 (about 2.5x of an M50/1.7). Just keep looking, and good luck ;)

Can also get the A 50mm f/1.7 which is a little cheaper and allows every exposure mode to be used and for the exif info to be captured.

If you could find an M50/1.7 for $40, I'm sure you can find an A50/1.4 for around $100 (about 2.5x of an M50/1.7). Just keep looking, and good luck ;)

and K 50 1.2 for around $200 (about 5x of a M 50/1.7) :bsmilie:

Wah.... But I don't think I will go buy or look for so many la.. Haha! So many 50mm... -_-".. I'm still a noob~

Also cannot tell the difference lei~ Haha!
Think I will use the M50 f1.7 first and compare with an A version.. See got diff or not.. LoL! :p

Last edited:
Get the 'A' version over the 'M'.
You retain camera control of aperture, Av mode and its conveniences, PTTL, EXIF data.

'M' lenses are a bit smaller and nicer in build though.

pinholecam said:
Get the 'A' version over the 'M'.
You retain camera control of aperture, Av mode and its conveniences, PTTL, EXIF data.

'M' lenses are a bit smaller and nicer in build though.

Ok!! I will try my best to find it. Ooh, last question:

A50 f1.7 is comparable to M50 f1.7 right?
A50 f1.4 is just slightly wider aperture right?

Ok!! I will try my best to find it. Ooh, last question:

A50 f1.7 is comparable to M50 f1.7 right?
A50 f1.4 is just slightly wider aperture right?

I have owned all the 'A' and 'M' 50mm (from f1.4 to f2).
Still have all the 'A' versions and a M50/2 (though I like the build of the 'M' ones so much more).
No difference in sharpness in the center on any of them at the same f-stop.
Never bothered to compare edge sharpness.
Use a hood to cut out loss of contrast is important as well as accuracy of focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.