Pentax 540FGZ vs Metz 50AF1

Tonistein

Nov 13, 2010
Queenstown
I have both flashguns but I prefer to use the Metz more than the Pentax with my K5, K20 & K10. I like to use manual mode & with the Metz it switch to Manual automatically. I just need to change the power ratio once & even when I turn off the power & on again the setting will not changed. With the 540GFZ there's no such thing. I have to change the mode to manual & adjust the power ratio. When I turn off the power & on again it switch back to Auto TTL.
Last week I took a wedding using my K5 & K20 using 18-135mm & 14mm lenses & Metz 50AF with a Peri diffuser. The 14mm coverage was superb at 1/60 F4.0 & iso400 & the Metz was at 1/2 power. There were no dark spots at both sides & the light was evenly spread. I did the printing myself up to A3 size. Now I hardly use the Pentax flash & relegate it to spare tyre status

im still wondering which Flash to go.. Mainly For Macro but not ring flash.. :think:

I have a Metz 44AF1 and I love it a lot. Being a basic model, it's simple to use and has nice light. Have not use the Pentax flash before, so can't make comparison. But some of my older photographer friends mention that Metz manufacture the best flash. However, this comment was based on when he was obsess with photography some 20 years ago.

Hmm.... I read up quite extensively.... And also forgotten much since then since I gave up on flash and wanna try out whether I really need one or not... :p

But I rmb that the Metz is very much favored over the Pentax one.. :D

And if I'm not wrong, one of the possible pet peeve would be the Pentax flash seems to be unable to retain your last input, if manual mode, and will revert back to pTTL when "woken up". But the metZ will retain your last settings.

So ya.. :D

I have been using the Metz brand since I started photography 26 years ago. I got the 32CT-3 and a friend got the 32CT-2, both of which were the higher end models back then. I am still using mine on the K5 with my new 58AF-1.

I got the latest version of 58 af2 and its illumination is fantastic. nicely diffused especially for my macro, just sufficient in Pttl or M mode. I prefer this to the pentax version.

marcus

I'm using the old metz 48. Other than the plastic foot and the wobbly locking mechanism, its fine.

Good enough for indoor shots of my kid. Not too big and heavy.

My only experience with pentax flash is with the af160 ring flash. Build quality is more refined and the locking mechanism is smoother but i think its not a good comparison as they're not really used in the same way :)

between Pentax 540FGZ vs Metz 58 AF-2, I prefer the results of Metz although Pentax is user's friendly.

Last edited:
It's very sad that a 3rd party flashgun is better than a system flashgun & much cheaper too. The truth hurts. I remember in 1992 when I got the Pentax Z1 with the 400FTX flash - they make a fantastic pair. I used both for almost 8 years without any problems

I think its a fact that they need to refresh their flash line up. Might not be a bad idea to refine their pttl technology too...

I think its a fact that they need to refresh their flash line up. Might not be a bad idea to refine their pttl technology too...

Strongly agree on the pttl improvement...
to me, the auto ISO is very handy and use AV mode most of the time...
until Flash active, it always aim to 1/15 and highest ISO in the auto range (AV mode)... then remain use flash to cover... in the end, Speed not fast enough and lost of detail for the high ISO... and have to back to M mode again... very sad about it...

until Flash active, it always aim to 1/15 and highest ISO in the auto range (AV mode)... then remain use flash to cover... in the end, Speed not fast enough and lost of detail for the high ISO... and have to back to M mode again... very sad about it...

I hardly use auto-iso actually, although i use AV mode mostly too. I'm anal abt shooting at high iso, I tend to shoot at base iso unless no choice - no flash/tripod. For me the pTTL on my Metz 50AF works well enough with some flash compensation, so well that I haven't bothered to try using the manual mode yet! :bsmilie:

i never use auto modes with flash - i find it to be a potential cause of inconsistency. i prefer to be on M, fix the settings and let the flash do the rest.

i'll be happy if they just refine the pttl so that it gives more consistent, more accurate flash exposure. right now, its ok for normal use but there are occasions when manual adjustments are necessary and this is where the metz flash looses out - the pentax flash has more buttons and its faster to change settings.

I hardly use auto-iso actually, although i use AV mode mostly too. I'm anal abt shooting at high iso, I tend to shoot at base iso unless no choice - no flash/tripod. For me the pTTL on my Metz 50AF works well enough with some flash compensation, so well that I haven't bothered to try using the manual mode yet! :bsmilie:

Which mean your cam will not keep at 1/15 when in AV mode?:think: which body you use?
my k-x is always try 1/15 and iso 1600(if i set auto 100-1600) with min flash output...
Does not matter F2.8 or 7.1, will keep at 1/15 and iso 1600... :sweat:
1/15 is not fast enough for my shaking hand and freeze the movment...

Metz used to be the king of flash, especially with wedding photographers.

In terms of user interface, Pentax wins with all the direct access buttons.

But the Metz wins with the more secured hotshoe mount. I hate the Pentax's system of using a securing pin and flip lock.

Moonlightsg said:
Which mean your cam will not keep at 1/15 when in AV mode?:think: which body you use?
my k-x is always try 1/15 and iso 1600(if i set auto 100-1600) with min flash output...

Ah... My Kr like forever trying 1/125 with highest ISO possible in auto-ISO.. Damn! Need a K5 just for that TAv mode! I need a fix 1/20-1/50 most of the time..

1/125 but sacrifice IQ.. No point... Forever shooting M mode and with manual lenses... LoL! If only we can easily pull out a sensor and place it inside film camera.. :p

i never use auto modes with flash - i find it to be a potential cause of inconsistency. i prefer to be on M, fix the settings and let the flash do the rest.

i'll be happy if they just refine the pttl so that it gives more consistent, more accurate flash exposure. right now, its ok for normal use but there are occasions when manual adjustments are necessary and this is where the metz flash looses out - the pentax flash has more buttons and its faster to change settings.

When I use my Metz in manual mode I just set the power ratio at 1/2 or 1/4 Then any more adjustment will be on the speed & aperture. Easier & faster that way

When I use my Metz in manual mode I just set the power ratio at 1/2 or 1/4 Then any more adjustment will be on the speed & aperture. Easier & faster that way

yeah... but if we were going to use a flash this way, why buy a metz with pttl? get a yongnuo manual flash can already ;p so much cheaper...

i think you misread my post. I meant that I use AV mode with auto-iso turned OFF. Usually for indoors the cam (k5/kx same) will choose ard 1/25 to 1/50 at iso200 (base iso for kx, but i use this for k5 too, otherwise the shutter speed gets too low at iso100). 1/25s is ok for me because i'm using a 35mm prime & i guess the SR helps too. Anyways if you're using flash low shutter speeds is not so problematic becos the flash helps to freeze motion at the time the flash goes off - I can get really sharp pictures of my hyperactive dog & 6mth old baby at 1/25s.

my point is don't use auto-iso if you don't want to lose details & sharpness (due to NR). you're already adding light by using flash, use the lowest iso you can get away with! this is the perfect example of the kind of things that can screw up if you give up too much control to your camera. Want more flash output? lower your iso & up your shutter speed (to a degree of course, some flash guns not so powerful). Want more ambient light to give more natural colours? up the iso and/or use lower shutter speeds, so the flash is primarily used to fill in the shadows & not the primary light source...

All this is easily done if you have a flash with pTTL. Like detritus mentioned, just set the settings as you want it in M mode on the camera & let the flash do its thing in pTTL mode! :thumbsup: of course sometimes the flash c*cks up the exposure (esp if you bounce), then just dial in some flash compensation & you're good to go.

Last edited: