Pentax 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

Ok thks all for the advise.plannin to get a prime instead of a tele since i already have the kit 50-200mm lens..now undecided which shd i get..the DA35mm f2.8 or the FA 50mm 1.4..besides the price difference and smaller f stop for FA,wat else is different?IQ?FOV?
Thanks again all..

Sorry wat i meant is the DA 35mm f2.4 not 2.8..typo..

Ok thks all for the advise.plannin to get a prime instead of a tele since i already have the kit 50-200mm lens..now undecided which shd i get..the DA35mm f2.8 or the FA 50mm 1.4..besides the price difference and smaller f stop for FA,wat else is different?IQ?FOV?
Thanks again all..

i think there was a thread started last week also asking about which 2 to get about a week ago. you might find it useful.

i have both. i bought the FA50 1st (2nd hand) then later the DA35 (new). i like both of them but i think the DA35 gets more general usage. If you'll allow me, then i will tell you my newbie experience of these lenses.

FOV - predominantly a zoom lens shooter and only pulling out the primes to supplement, i decided to just bring these 2 lenses to a family gathering at my parents place (which is a small-ish condo). the FA50 was a little hard to shoot people in the living room. your back will be literally against the opposite wall or corner and it may not be wide enough to catch 3 or 4 people sitting on the sofa. On the other hand, the 35mm can be too wide even when taking photos of 5 or 6 people sitting in a semi-circle around a table. But for that at least you can get closer and "crop" the shot. So general purpose use, the 35mm FOV is better. The FA50mm was really fun taking pictures of food though especially you only want a specific piece of curry chicken in the pot in focus whilst the rest blurred. It is also great for head shots with 2 people or head & shoulder individual shot.

IQ - i can't really tell which is better than the other leh. this one better technical research more. i do know that if i want a more tighter subject in the photo (eg. blur foreground/sharp subject/blur background) the FA 50 is more appropriate bec when close to wide open i can isolate the subject more apparently. The 35 2.4 can do that too but its bokeh is perhaps less drastic/pronounced. so i tend to use it for a sharp subject/blur background.

Once again, this is just a beginner's attempt at using these lenses. Both can be sharp when stopped down a few notches.

However, personally i don't really think FA 50 is a lens very usable for low light and fast movement (like kids running indoors). if there is really not much light, then you really have no choice but to bump ISO up to get at least 1/125 shutter speed to freeze them. And if you try to at F1.4, then many parts of them are likely to be blur... But then again maybe i still not enough skill... hope the more experienced and skilled will have a different view.

Thks for the input bro.i just came back from buyin the 35mm..if my fiancee wasnt there i might have bought both..btw is there any issues with buyin new lens w/o box?cos i got mine @ SLR for $275 without box.any implications to tat?

Thks for the input bro.i just came back from buyin the 35mm..if my fiancee wasnt there i might have bought both..btw is there any issues with buyin new lens w/o box?cos i got mine @ SLR for $275 without box.any implications to tat?

nope..i understand that for 35mm without box..it is actually the kit lens for k5/kr..so the shop will sell the lens and body separately..emjay will still honour any warranty so no worries

Heh! Pesky fiancees!! Seriously, it was a good idea to get the 35mm as a start. Cheaper and less "investment risk". And really when compared to the kit lens and other ok only zooms, that plastic wonder produces some really "jump out at you" pictures. Enjoy it!!

TK Foto @ Funan is selling 18-250 (as of yesterday). I think only 1 copy left. Call them to chk out the price :)