Pentax 12-24 vs Sigma 10-20 f3.5

jamkid

Nov 30, 2010
Hi all, was planning to get a sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, but realized it is out of stock everywhere.
Now i'm thinking of getting either the pentax 12-24 or the new sigma 10-20, which is around the same price range.
Looked all over the web and only found a handful of comparision between the 2, found lots of the older sigma though...

what i like about 12-24:
extra 21-24mm - can use as a walkaround lens
seems sharper among the 2 from the reviews

what i like about the 10-20:
slightly wider at 10mm
HSM

Any thoughts on the 2?

Having 24mm is not as significant as having 10mm... 12mm to 10mm is hugh difference... but if u can work with 12mm than is ok.... some ppl want wider the better, some just use whatever is given and work on that...so depends on you...

the sigma is less sharp but is good enough.... a good pic is not about sharpness...

having said that, the f3.5 version is 82mm filter thread and HSM, u have to take take into consideration...

i prefer 77mm filter thread, non HSM and wider the better... so i just hunt for a f4-f5.6 version... locally maybe not easy to find... but HK still plenty of stock....

In that case wouldn't Sigma 8-16mm be better?

hmm, the 82mm filter thread and not able to use filter throws me off...
i think i'll try to source for 10-20mm f4-5.6 somewhere, if not then i'll just go for a 12-24mm.
thanks for all the advises. =)

Each has his/her own preference. I myself prefer 12-24 'cause 12mm is generally wide enough for me, and 24mm is a lot better than 20mm when taking people photos :) If you want really wide, then go for the Sigma 1020, any version will do. Don't think too much about sharpness when you look for a super wide angle lens, it's the view that you are capturing, not the tiny tiny pixels ;)

Each has his/her own preference. I myself prefer 12-24 'cause 12mm is generally wide enough for me, and 24mm is a lot better than 20mm when taking people photos :) If you want really wide, then go for the Sigma 1020, any version will do. Don't think too much about sharpness when you look for a super wide angle lens, it's the view that you are capturing, not the tiny tiny pixels ;)

That means tamron 10-24 is the best? haha

I read from review sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 is better than tamron 10-24 f3.5-4.5.

But someone may point out the extra 4mm at long end and 0.4 stop brighter do make difference, and you can't compare both of them :sweat: :bsmilie:

While sharpness is not the most important thing, there should always be a baseline...

Just like if I'm not concerned about build, that doesn't mean I'd buy a cardboard lens even if it's the sharpest, lightest and brightest in the range.

For the Tamron 10-24, from the sample images I've seen, corner softness is horrible, horrible, horrible.